Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 29' Sovereign
Winter Park , Florida
spare tire on a '99 cutter diesel pusher

We're driving my parent's 99 cutter diesel pusher out to Wyoming. They always hauled a spare tire in the back of their towed Aerostar van. We're only hauling bicycles. The manual mentions some sort of crank down spare tire storage under the rig which I've determined doesn't exist on this unit. My two options appear to be: 1-lash it to the front of the receiver mounted bike rack, leaving about six inches of clearance from the louvered doors on the engine compartment and the hassle of removing the tire to check fluids. 2-lash it on the roof somehow, probably anchored between the top of the ladder and the rear AC unit. If anybody has any experience or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Note that I'm dealing with a spare tire only, no wheel.
safariuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Re- spare tire

If your Cutter is on a raised rail FL chassis, you should have room in the main compartment for it. If its not a raised rail chassis, ------- then its time for an upgrade!!!!!
I carry a fully mounted aluminum spare with all my tools in my CLIPPER #137 main compartment, drivers side, and have still have plenty of room for all my other collectables that have to travel with us. I would not mount it at the rear engine grill as air circulation is limited on the pushers with rear radiator.

Good luck
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1995 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Conroe , Texas
This is my first reply on the forum. So I am winging it. In reply to putting you full spare in you cargo bin, I have a 36ft Clipper and when I bought the coach it had been there I guess for all 80K. I pulled it out after putting new Michelin all around. It seamed too heave for the cargo floor it had begin to sag, you could see daylight where the cargo floor met the outside frame. I have put 12 k on it and if I need a flat fixed or a new tire I have AAA for that. I could be wrong but that seamed the thing to do. The full spare with rim now sets in the garage.
whitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I agree with you on the road service IF YOU ARE IN A POPULATED AREA!!!!!
Our travels have been from Dawson City, Yukon, to Neils Harbour, Cape Breton Island, NS, and many other outback areas of the continent. Where are you going to get tire service, let alone a specialty tire like a 265/70 22.5 that is not common an commercial vehicles. If you don't have a spare you may be in for an extended stay and an expensive shipping bill!!!
Yes, I have removed the spare for local travels, just so I have room to carry more "stuff".
The other option is to just carry the tire. At least you don't have to order and wait on one if you have problems. I chose the mounted assembly as I also carry all the tools to change the wheel on the road.
Dave
Old 09-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Clipper, Spare Wheel, Basement

Just an added thought on the basement of the Clipper. This probably applies to many other models as well as I assume Airstream construction would be similar in this era.
The basement construction is hung off outriggers on the raised rail frame. That means the outside rail is hung from the same cross chassis ladder construction at three points: front, middle (divider wall to sewer compartment) and at the rear.
This means the outside rail is not designed to support the weight of the basement floor, but is basically a trim to the basement floor structure which is enclosed within the plywood/insulation assembly constructed around the 1 1/2 square tube metal structure.
If your basement floor is beginning to sag, a close inspection should be made to determine if an additional support might be required?????
The good thing about the Clipper is that it has an actual frame, NOT a unibody type structure, so structural integrety remains even if some damage has occured to the basement structure. Only repairs to the area of concern are required.
Note: the newer pusher image is from another members post and shows the basic assembly of the basement construction on the newer models. This looks also like a raised rail chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	busbuilder_ext.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	111307   Click image for larger version

Name:	AirPusher.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	111309  

Old 09-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by safariuser View Post
We're driving my parent's 99 cutter diesel pusher out to Wyoming. They always hauled a spare tire in the back of their towed Aerostar van. We're only hauling bicycles. The manual mentions some sort of crank down spare tire storage under the rig which I've determined doesn't exist on this unit. My two options appear to be: 1-lash it to the front of the receiver mounted bike rack, leaving about six inches of clearance from the louvered doors on the engine compartment and the hassle of removing the tire to check fluids. 2-lash it on the roof somehow, probably anchored between the top of the ladder and the rear AC unit. If anybody has any experience or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Note that I'm dealing with a spare tire only, no wheel.
Probably easier to modify bike rack to get more room between rack and access door, I wouldn't put it on roof, hard to get up, no real attaching points once it is up there, unless you can build a structure based on ladder not the a/c shroud, I found the shroud is made of plastic and no strength it is only for looks.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote