Old 03-25-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
Slow Shower Drain Question

So, when we take a shower, the drain is slow. I plunge it and the water goes down quickly enough and then goes slow again. Any ideas?

Old 03-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneytoRet View Post
So, when we take a shower, the drain is slow. I plunge it and the water goes down quickly enough and then goes slow again. Any ideas?
As water runs into the gray tank, air has to come out somewhere. Start by checking the gray tank vent to see if it's clogged.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Gaffney , South Carolina
Aha! I was wondering if that's the issue. Now my next dumb question (and everyone knows it's coming...) where is the grey water tank vent?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Leonardtown , Maryland
I remove the cap on the drain and with a screw drive I remobe the assembly and then clean the hair out of the drain.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
The 'grey' vent runs forward and joins the main stack behind the kitchen cabinet/stove in that corner on my CLIPPER.
If you have a slide, I have no idea where yours is located, but probably would be in the corner of the toilet room area?????

Remove the roof cap on the top of the vent and make sure there is no visible obstruction.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneytoRet View Post
Aha! I was wondering if that's the issue. Now my next dumb question (and everyone knows it's coming...) where is the grey water tank vent?
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Gaffney , South Carolina
Thanks guys, and I AM afraid of heights so this will be a treat!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Gaffney , South Carolina
For me, the mystery continues. I looked at the roof and saw two, aerodynamic, futuristic looking vents on the opposite side of the coach from the kitchen sink/bathroom sink/toilet/shower. I'm guessing one of these goes to the washer dryer vent and the other to the fridge vent. I didn't see anything like a vent for the grey water tank or shower. Any other suggestions? Oh, I read that a way to clean out the vent, if I ever find it, is to simply pour water down it. How does that sound to you old-hands?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
There is a chance that Airstream used this type of vent for your shower?????

"Air admittance valve
Air admittance valves (AAVs or Durgo valves) are negative pressure-activated, one-way mechanical vents, used in a plumbing or drainage venting system to eliminate the need for conventional pipe venting and roof penetrations. A discharge of wastewater causes the AAV to open, releasing the vacuum and allowing air to enter plumbing vent pipe for proper drainage. Since AAVs will only function under negative pressure situations they are not suitable for all venting applications, such as venting a sump, where positive pressures are created when the sump fills. Also where positive pressures are found in larger buildings or multi storey buildings an Air Admittance Valve could be used in conjunction with a P.A.P.A. (Positive Air Pressure Attenuator) to provide a complete venting solution for more complicated drainage venting systems. Where a P.A.P.A.(Positive Air Pressure Attenuator) is used in the drainage venting system, it becomes part of the Studor Single Pipe System (SSPS).
Using AAVs can significantly reduce the amount of venting materials needed in a plumbing system, increase plumbing labor efficiency, allow greater flexibility in the layout of plumbing fixtures, and reduce long-term roof maintenance problems associated with conventional vent stack roofing penetrations.
While some state and local building departments prohibit AAVs, the International Residential and International Plumbing Codes allow it to be used in place of a vent-through-the-roof. AAV's are certified to reliably open and close a minimum of 500,000 times, (approximately 30 years of use) with no emanation of sewer gas; and some manufacturers claim their units are tested for up to 1.5 million cycles, or at least 80 years of use. Air Admittance Valves have been effectively used in Europe for more than two decades. US manufacturers offer warranties that range from 20 years to lifetime.
Sture Ericson, the founder of Studor, a Swedish born air conditioning engineer applied for the patent on his first designed AAV valve – the Bjare Valve – in July 1973. The valve was named after a region of Sweden. By installing the Bjare valve, there was no need to break the seal in the roof of a building with the drainage ventilation system. This meant that the plumber, carpenter and roof layer no longer had to be present on site at the same time, and therefore providing a more cost effective drainage ventilation solution by eliminating the need for a roof penetration. Nowadays this is considered a great green benefit for any building and its drainage venting system."
Drain-waste-vent system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If there are no roof vents you will have to investigate further. There should be an access panel at back or below shower that you can see the plumbing. On my CLIPPER, the tub shower has the bath heat outlet located under the tub, and by removing that, you can see all the plumbing. Also, I have a panel that is removable at the rear of the shower door frame, that allows access to the plumbing, taps, etc.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 03-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
When I look at the owners manual for your unit, it does show a separate roof vent for the grey tank, black tank and washer vent. So they should show on the roof.

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...653fd83d5d.pdf

Section G, pg 24 shows the schematic.

Dave
Old 03-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Gaffney , South Carolina
Thanks Dave, I'll look closer at the roof, might have to climb up and see if it's hidden behind one of the vents or something.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I have two, can only see one from ground or the rear ladder, the other one is in front of the a/c and toward the center out of sight. Reason to use water is critters(frogs) could setup housekeeping in the vent. and would wash it clean, use a high pressure hose fitting that can give a good fast stream. Or wasps so be prepared for them.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
ReeBee has it right. Very simple fix. Unscrew the plunger top and with a big flat-bladed screwdriver, unscrew the brass screw which is down an inch below the floor - pull it out and clean all the gunk out.
Then it will be right for another three months.

Operating the plunger regularly will extend the time between dismantling but never seems to eliminate it.

Need to do mine too.
Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Gaffney , South Carolina
good gosh, we are camping and it seems the solution to the slow drain for us was to simply have the mh level. odd that the drain was really sensitive to the mh being a "little" unlevel!