Old 06-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #15
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Emergeny Exit Window Leak

Another leak story. Confirms truth is stranger than fiction.

Was updating the laptop in the Clipper and went to the bedroom to get the walkie talkies off the charger there. As I turned, my hand touched the window frame on the emergency exit, and there was water on the ledge. Never seen water here before.

On close inspection, I found a pine needle trapped in the rubber seal at the top of the window where it hinges. I had the emergency window open a couple weeks ago when cleaning the glass. I have cleaned and silicon-ed the top hinge and rubber and hope the problem is gone. Supposed to rain again tomorrow, so at least I won't have to take it back to JC for the water test!

Dave

Old 06-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1998 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Laud by the sea , Florida
front and rear cap seams

Dave, Did you use the same methodology on the seams?

Thanks.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I used the Eternabond on the front seam only as the rear seam was in good shape at the time. I have enough Eternabond to do the rear seam and will probably do it this year when I get time.

The Eternabond does a great job and any weak areas that begin to lift are easy to spot and repair.

My skylights are into their 4th year with the Eternabond, and no sign of problems.

Note -- on the emergency exit, there was no sign of leakage today in steady rain, so the cleaning and silicone has done the job.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfancher View Post
Dave, Did you use the same methodology on the seams?

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #18
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tomorrow's Project

We have had a month of real nice weather with no rain. Rained yesterday and last night and this morning I have another leak onto the drivers side dash.

I did not think it was the windshield because the drip came off the vinyl rather that the ws rubber. The rubber also looked OK on first inspection.

Pulled the TV to check the insulation behind the marker lights. OK
Pulled the cockpit upper side panel above the driver position. OK
Pulled the upper side panel on the PS. OK

Set up my scaffold and proceeded to do a closer inspection of the windshield.

The polyurethane caulk that I applied a couple years ago has pulled away from the ws rubber on the outside upper corner. You can see in the photo that my knife was able to enter behind the rubber over approx. a 4" length.

Tomorrow I will buy a fresh tube of caulk, clean the area, and reseal the windshield. If that does not work I will report back.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	082920123132.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	167070  
Old 08-31-2012, 12:14 AM   #19
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Got the DS windshield re caulked today.

When working with caulk and you have an area that moves or a gap that requires filling, don't spare the caulk as it needs to be able to flex and a thin application will only crack prematurely.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	083020123139.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	167143  
Old 09-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #20
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Rain here today, and I am tired of that drip off the canopy over the entrance door.

On the Clipper, and probably others, the main canopy is 19' 8" in length and has aluminium wrap. The length of the canopy causes it to sag slightly near the middle, which just happens to be over the entrance door. The water runs back from both ends on the aluminium wrap and drips off at just the wrong place.

To try to beat this, I used a self-stick plastic corner molding on the wrap, for couple years but the sun/weather in time broke that down.

I have now trimmed up a piece of vinyl siding and mounted it on the drip rail. Works good parked but I will have to see how it stands up to travel. I will update this as time allows testing or if I get a better idea.

I have this prototype attached at the moment, but I think I can come up with a removable, for travel, style that snaps onto the drip rail.

It has to be at least this length, 35", for the drip to clear the entrance step.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	091020123226.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	167928   Click image for larger version

Name:	091020123229.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	167929  

Name:	091020123231.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	167930  
Old 09-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #21
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
OK - an update on this drip edge extension.

I will leave my installed prototype model on there to allow testing, but I have now shaped up another piece of vinyl that will snap onto the drip rail only when it is needed. This is light material and can be stored easily when the sun shines.

To help secure this requires another piece of angle or U channel vinyl installed on the upper wallside of the driprail with the 3 existing mounting screws. This retainer piece will hold the vinyl drip extension at the correct angle to move the water away from the Clipper wall.

With the rear retainer, the drip extension can be snapped in from a standing position with the door open so no ladder is required.

I have this test prototype #2 a lot wider than I need it, but I will trim it as I get to test it going forward. And with a bit of heat I should be able to form it so that it only drains on the door hinge side.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	091020123240.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	167942  
Old 09-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #22
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Prototype #3 "FINAL" QC TESTED, LIFETIME WARRANTY. (not responsible for loss due to poor memory)

I attempted to heat and mold prototype #2 and it did not pass a visual acceptance test on completion.

With a little experimentation, I find that the prototype #1 if reversed and mated with the portion I had trimmed off, works great.

Mount the trimmed edge permanently with the 3 existing drip rail screws. The holes are already there and no drilling is required on the vinyl. Now you can mate and slide the drip extension into this and the drip rail outer channel.

This can be done while standing at the door with ease. The drip extension can be stored anywhere as it is ply-able, light, and almost indestructible.

This now must be removed while traveling as I think it would work its way out of the channel over time. These are simple to make so why not make a spare.

I could make this for you, but if you go to your local recycle, you should be able to pick up a piece of vinyl siding the right colour to match your unit.

To see a video go here.
Airstream Clipper Drip Rail - YouTube

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	091120123244.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	167994   Click image for larger version

Name:	091120123245.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	167995  

Name:	091120123246.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	167996   Click image for larger version

Name:	091120123250.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	167997  

Old 09-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Dave,
Quite a clever idea! I'd venture to do this on mine, but I don't have the leak.

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #24
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tie a Yellow Ribbon

Well, the inevitable happened. I forgot to remove the drip shield and sure enough it disappeared in the first 3 miles of travel, before my memory kicked in.

Not a big deal as I had made up a spare, and can duplicate this as many times as I need. But a better plan is to tie a yellow ribbon on the steering wheel when the drip shield is installed, just to remind me before I drive off again without removing it.

Had a good Alberni Valley tour and back at base to catch up on the yard work before the wet weather sets in.

No issues, all systems go, and the Clipper is ready to go anytime, anywhere.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Prototype #3 "FINAL" QC TESTED, LIFETIME WARRANTY. (not responsible for loss due to poor memory)

This now must be removed while traveling as I think it would work its way out of the channel over time. These are simple to make so why not make a spare.

Dave
Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #25
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Successful Recovery

Recovered my drip shield today. Found it in the ditch about 3 miles from home. Undamaged and clean. It must have departed about the same time I remembered and looked in the mirror and realized it was missing.

The yellow ribbon system is now activated.

What great satisfaction I get from solving mysteries.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Well, the inevitable happened. I forgot to remove the drip shield and sure enough it disappeared in the first 3 miles of travel, before my memory kicked in.
Dave
Old 11-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #26
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
EternaBond Tips

My initial application of EternaBond tape on my Clipper (then a fairly new product for RV application) is now well into the 4th year and I have had no problems with the product itself. I have reinstalled a small 4" section where the surface was not properly cleaned,( ) and I have had to re caulk the tape edges in places where I had applied the caulk too thin to allow expansion and contraction with the weather.

The EternaBond product in now widely used, and information is readily available on the net, but this video summarizes all questions one might have about the product.

The key to a successful application of the EternaBond tape is to spend the time cleaning the surface, apply it as instructed with repeated pressure, and have an ongoing maintenance program for checking for obvious problem areas.

Roof Leak Repair Products & Sealing Tape | EternaBond®

If you have failed to properly clean and prepare the surface, the Eternabond tape will readily display this on a later inspection, and it is easy to repair/replace the area of concern.

Dave
Old 01-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #27
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Service Bulletin on roof repairs

I'm going to post this information in this thread for those interested. I have contacted Airstream Support and am waiting to see if they can still supply this document.

This info was included in a Land Yacht motor home owners manual. When I do a search on this site and on Google, I can find no reference to this document.

I will update when JC gets back to me.

"The roof of your Airstream Land Yacht motorhome is a fiberglass compound. If it is damaged contact the Airstream customer service department and ask for the Service Bulletin on roof repairs."

Dave
Old 01-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #28
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
JC has replied with the information document requested with this restriction:
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication contains confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error and then delete it. Thank you

If you require this information, contact your dealer or JC direct.
Dan Snider
Airstream Owner Relations
(937) 596-6111 ext. 7408

Dave

Tags
diesel pusher, land yacht, leaks, roof