Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Louisville , Kentucky
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
Sagging Headliner

After driving through some hot territory this summer, the straw that broke the camels back showed up. The headliner over the front of our 2000 Land Yacht XC started turning loose. It's being held in place by where it is clamped in on the sides, the strip across the ceiling and two screws with large, decorative washers (for lack of a better description).

In a 78 GMC we had we replaced the whole headliner which involved a lot of work (removing cabinets, etc). I'm not into doing that much work. However, I was still wondering if anyone else has encountered the same issue. The 3M glue (or whatever) turned loose. Age and heat are the culprits, I'm sure.

The vinyl is also pulling from the T-track across the ceiling.

Suggestions, besides more screws and washers, is welcomed.
bnsonger47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The urethane foam breaks down and no glue can hold to degraded material. Real solution is to replace it all. Ugly fix solution, plastic bows screwed to the ceiling.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You could remove the fabric and get all the foam off the ceiling and then paint with a textured paint. Otherwise you need to remove the headliner board and take it to an upholstery shop to have the fabric replaced.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Louisville , Kentucky
I'm not into taking a nice coach with interior in great condition (otherwise) and uglying it up by painting the backing board with a textured paint. I realize the urethane may have broken down as well as the glue. I guess I was mainly wondering if anyone had done some disassembly of the front to drop the panel, foam, and vinyl and would have a pointer or two to watch out for. The vinyl is in good shape. The back would need to be cleaned up but I would think some fresh glue on fresh urethane foam would work for another ten years. I've going to give it a shot.

I was also thinking that while I'm at it I'll see if I can extend the ducts forward into that area. When it's hot, we run with the genset on and the roof AC on. When doing that I'd rather cut the setting on the dash air back so it just recirculates and runs the compressor very little if any. If it would have .2 mpg then I'd be happy.

I'll contact the folks in Jackson Center and see what they think.

My double pain windows are also getting that cloudy look.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Louisville , Kentucky
Forgot to add -- I switched out the TV antenna for a Jack. As it turns out their is no signal coming into the interior from the connection at the base of the antenna. Since the cable is in the ceiling, I have another reason to get it down. The cables throughout the rest of the coach are OK, even the run back to the external cable inlet. These are things the PO didn't tell me about.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
The urethane foam breaks down and no glue can hold to degraded material. Real solution is to replace it all. Ugly fix solution, plastic bows screwed to the ceiling.
The cause of the wall coverings failure, is not the foam.

Airstream was forced to use a "water based" adhesive, which is the real culprit.

Same sort of thing happened to the cars years ago that were painted with a water based paint.

Our Feds were the one that caused those issues.

The only permanent fix, is to remove the covering, clean up the walls, and then install new covering. The original covering cannot be successfully salvaged.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Louisville , Kentucky
Well, two things good to know. One, what the federal government can mess up without thinking something through for the long term. Two, that the original material isn't salvageable. OK, it'll make nice throw pillows for the dog house.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Has anyone thought of using a sheet of aluminum to replace the sagging vinyl? It would be so Airstream!

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #9

1995 28' Excella
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The cause of the wall coverings failure, is not the foam.

Airstream was forced to use a "water based" adhesive, which is the real culprit.

Same sort of thing happened to the cars years ago that were painted with a water based paint.

Our Feds were the one that caused those issues.

The only permanent fix, is to remove the covering, clean up the walls, and then install new covering. The original covering cannot be successfully salvaged.

Andy
We have a 95 Airstream Excella 28 ft. Our headliner is sagging really bad. We read your repair tip about using 5/8" screws to fix it. But, my husband is concerned that screwing into the ceiling will drive that screw through the skin of our rig on the roof. Can you give us some assurance that there is clearance from the headliner into the under part of the ceiling to use this "fix"? There's no wood, just headliner, foam and sheet metal.
4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #10
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
I just used short screws with matching white/cream snap caps in a diamond quilting pattern. Looks OK.

(there is a couple of inches of foam between the ceiling and the roof so no chance of driving a screw right through the roof skin)
Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:33 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Conroe , Texas
I just bought my 2000 35xcdp and drove it from Utah to Conroe Texas. Headliner sagging also.
Will keep watching for suggestions. Screws with caps sound the easiest way to repair it.
Wasnt sagging until the heat in Texas.
Lford is offline   Reply With Quote