Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Safe-T-Plus

Did a search but you know how that goes on this site.

Installed a Safe-T-Plus steering control unit today on the new to us 396XL, and I must say I am impressed. Makes a big difference in steering, and this was with just an around the block test.

I would be interested in hearing from others that have done mods that have improved the overall drivability of their MH.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

West Linn , Oregon
I chose to use the Steer Safe (you can actually use both at the same time) but it's intention is essentially the same, to keep your front wheels going forward when you encounter adverse conditions (blow out, wind gusts, etc.). I noticed a feeling of improved stability...meaning that the steering seems "tighter" or if you prefer less "play" (though there wasn't much at all to begin with). I hope never to test it in a blow out situation...but some help in gusty winds will be greatly appreciated after getting caught in 60+ MPH wind gusts in Cheyenne year ago.
P21932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by P21932 View Post
I chose to use the Steer Safe (you can actually use both at the same time) but it's intention is essentially the same, to keep your front wheels going forward when you encounter adverse conditions (blow out, wind gusts, etc.). I noticed a feeling of improved stability...meaning that the steering seems "tighter" or if you prefer less "play" (though there wasn't much at all to begin with). I hope never to test it in a blow out situation...but some help in gusty winds will be greatly appreciated after getting caught in 60+ MPH wind gusts in Cheyenne year ago.
I actually test drove a friends 36' Airstream that was equipped with the Steer Safe. It drove good, but did not give me quite the level of stability the Safe-T-Plus does. However, the installation and tuning of the Safe-T-Plus was a little bit of work, and probably more than the Steer Safe.

Another thing I found while under there was the anti-sway bar end link bushing totally shot, so I replaced them with urethane bushing, which also made a huge difference in steering response.

I know this is not a realistic comparison, but the two improvements make the motorhome feel like a sports car, compared to how it felt before the improvements.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
On another part, but similar supposed improvement, has anyone installed a SuperSteer SS100 Bell Crank on their Freightliner chassis motorhome?

If so, what is your opinion of it's benefits?
Old 11-10-2015, 04:34 AM   #5
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Our 2000 Dutchstar had a Spartan chassis with independent front suspension, so not a direct comparison in chassis design. No matter the design though, there are similarities in what improvements can be made.

What made the biggest improvements on ours was getting the tire pressure just right from the Michelin pressure tables for the actual weight we carried, taking the "play" out of the steering box, getting it aligned at a big rig shop and having the wheels spin balanced on the chassis.

Hope this is helpful.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote