Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Port Orchard , Washington
Roof Ladder

Hello - Noob here and I have a couple of questions about a 1995 36' Land Yacht that is for sale on CraigsList in Phoenix. This rig looks well kept and in good condition but it does not have a roof ladder and I am wondering if one can be added or if there is a structural reason it doesn't have one. Also, there is evidence of a soft/rotted spot on the interior wall near the bedroom window. No evidence of a problem appears on the outside. Does anyone know what would be involved to repair this area? Any info would be appreciated. I really like this motorhome but would like to have an inkling as to what I might be taking on. Thanks very much. Carol
RVGal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the Forums.

These units were not offered with a rear ladder at the time by Airstream. There was no real need for them as the roof was only rated at 300# max.
A ladder could be added if wanted but probably would require a reinforcing plate on the rear cap where it mounts.

The other consideration was, even though the book said these units were 11'10" high, I believe this and later Freightliner chassis were actually just over 12' if the OEM air suspension is adjusted to factory specs.

This unit that you are looking at has been reviewed on this site previously and is owned by a current forum member.

It is always buyer beware when purchasing anything, and more so when the unit is 18yrs old. Do your homework with consideration of problems you might encounter.

These older units are best left to those people with some resources and abilities to do your own repairs as the shop rates are very expensive.

Now if it passes your detailed inspection, I am sure you will get great enjoyment from camping in an Airstream.
1995 Airstream Land Yacht Diesel Pusher

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Port Orchard , Washington
Interesting roof only #300. How about adding solar panels? Need to reinforce mounting area? And you still need to go on the roof for periodic inspections and resealing as needed. I think I'm uncomfortable with the thought I couldn't get up there to repair a broken whatever (antenna, satellite dome (though I don't have one), air horn, whatever.) What does everyone else do to get on the roof? Thanks for info this rig. Carol.
RVGal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGal1 View Post
Interesting roof only #300. How about adding solar panels? Need to reinforce mounting area? And you still need to go on the roof for periodic inspections and resealing as needed. I think I'm uncomfortable with the thought I couldn't get up there to repair a broken whatever (antenna, satellite dome (though I don't have one), air horn, whatever.) What does everyone else do to get on the roof? Thanks for info this rig. Carol.
I've been gaining weight lately, so when I get on the roof I wear giant snow shoes to spread the load. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
My guess/hope would be that 300# rating is for when moving, not when stationary.
So you could add solar and a satellite dish/dome say 150-200# total and still be able to go onto roof for maintenance.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
If there is a soft spot and it around or under the window,the window seal might have leaked and damaged the interior luan wall panel. Depending on the damage from deterioration the repair could be small to extensive.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote