Old 03-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
Roof Cleaner Recommendations

Roof is dingy and dirty. Any recommendations for cleaning it to make it look cleaner/whiter please?

Old 03-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I used liquid soap (car) and a soft brush to clean the scum off my roof. Good opportunity to check for any other issues up there.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:02 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
I am looking at micro cracking that my mechanic says can leak. There is a product from Dicor that is for recovering fiberglass roofs that have cracking gelcoat that I am looking at. There is also a companion clean and prep product that you should steel wool with.

I have also seen a LOT of articles on the YouTubes that say you can simply use something like Zep floor wax to bring fiberglass back to original... May try that first.

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Peter, you say you are going to have your roof looked at, what is going on? It looked so nice when I saw the photos, especially after you put that outdoor carpet roll down. Your furniture looking all pristine.

I know you said the gutters on the sides were collecting all the crap from the roof. I too have that issue and think I will need to power wash the gutters in mine, although I got most of it on a dry day with a shop vac and a long hose. It was AMAZING what was stuck up there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	260234

I also recently found that most of my leaking was coming in via the Sky Deck access door tower where it meets the fiberglass roof.

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	260233

The dry and missing caulking was a real issue, I was shocked how wet the area on the inside of the RV got during the early Monsoon, I mean El Niño, rains. I got some DiCor, I scraped out the old dry caulking and put down a fresh bead along the roof where I could previously see movement and it has completely dried out inside. That being said, it was also a dry day outside the last time I checked the RV. It will be raining all this week should be a great test. Now I need to get new rubber seals for the actual top door, oh, and a screen like yours.

I also have the rivets failing, my awning rail that supports the fiberglass surround is popping rivets at the four corners. I also think some of my water intrusion was from the water dumping out at the end of the awning rail gutter, into the metal cap connecting the front and side fiberglass just above the entry door.

Name:	IMG_0794.jpg
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	260235

It may be that I just need to re-caulk, I already tried to double sided sticky tape one metal plate, but the freezing temps were too much for the tape.

Name:	IMG_0807.jpg
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	260236

I have recently drilled out the rivets and just taped over the area with electrical tape. I want to follow the process detailed in the Massive Leaks and Destruction thread about taking all the metal plates off and coating their backsides in caulk and re-riveting them.

I need to find out what size rivets to use and get a gun to install the plates back in place. I asked the guy I bought the RV from to do all this, he had 3 months, never got around to it...

So I am learning about rivets, yay!

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
I got leaks between the stairwell cover and the out side no way to get there without taking to roof extension of.
I also have water coming in on the front and the screws on the front roof extension are loose and i cannot risen them.
I also saw SD with only one rail on the top railing instate of 2. This would safe a lot of weight and made it easier on the motor to push it up.
I want the roof do be done so I don't have to worry anymore about leaks.
I still consider doing the work myself but I need a space under a roof to do it.
Peter