Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Reprogramming the exhaust brake

Ever since the first five minutes driving the Cutter, I have been meaning to get the transmission reprogrammed to get rid of the aggressive downshifting to second. Now in mountain territory again and enough is enough - going to change it to latch mode downshifting to 4th.

To save the workshop searching for it on an unfamiliar chassis layout - and save me money, does anyone know where the transmission data port is. Saw what might be it up under the dash board, but anyone know for sure

Thanks
Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I can't help you on that Tony, but I understand your annoyance.

However, I have learnt to live with it. My switch is directly in-line with my right knee and, with a toggle extension, is easy to toggle on and off to control the shift. I seldom get to play in the snow anymore, or the existing setting would be long ago changed.

If you watch the RPM and speed, you can anticipate when it is going to shift down and just toggle it off.

I liked the old (before electronics) system where the engine brake was independent of the tranny, but that day is long gone.

Let us know how your change works for you.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote