Old 12-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #99
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
The problem with windows and skylights are the leaks and condensation risks that come with them and the added cost of heating/cooling that each window demands.

Today, with the modern technology available, high resolution cameras and display panels would give you unhindered visual, with the flick of the channel, of all areas around and above your motorhome. And if you are stuck in that WM parking lot, you could put on the Niagara Falls show.

Check out some of the options here.

Sky Factory Brings Nature Into The Drabbest, Windowless Cubicles | Co.Exist: World changing ideas and innovation

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Me, personally, I would like to see a huge glass moon roof in the bedroom... maybe even retractable or tiltable so I can stargaze on those stunning desert nights!

Old 12-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Dave it's pretty obvious that you feel bigger is better and your fondness for new technology and innovation. I can see the merit in your ideas however, camping especially boon docking to me indicates a desire to get out and enjoy this beautiful world that we live in. Being couped up in a windowless box looking at LED screens of the nature outside just is not something I would choose to experience. If we have the technology to build these realistic cameras and displays than somebody ought to be able to build a window that doesn't leak.

In the sailing community there has always been a similar discussion about the proper size boat. The same bigger is better argument exists with the larger boat providing safety and creature comforts. The interesting thing is the average size boat cruising the world, those boats actually crossing oceans not just sitting in slips, is 33 feet. Not the 60' mega yacht at the prestigious yacht club but a modest 33 feet.

Airstream has been building trailers for many years with the largest being 34' and the most popular being much smaller. The small Interstate being sold today seems to be doing well.

My vote is for an iconic looking, aluminum uni-body frame-less construction, diesel powered, under 30 foot coach. It should be functional, well built with quality components and sold at a competitive price.

It's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. By the way my sail boat is 44' so I do have some experience with larger modes of recreational transportation.

Cheers, Dan

Old 12-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #101
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Ain't that the truth.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
If we have the technology to build these realistic cameras and displays than somebody ought to be able to build a window that doesn't leak.
Cheers, Dan
Old 02-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #103
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
Airstream Class "A"

As an owner of a 396XL, I would like to see a 45' with a tag axle & 4 slide outs. Wood or granite floors with hydra-heat would also be nice. I feel Airstream could compete with the big boys(Prevost,Newell & Foretravel).
Remember in designing this MH,Prevost & Newell have stayed with the proven things and updated only occasional. Airstream stayed with their basic design on our model 2000-2007 without adding a larger MH or slideouts and not doing a very good job of marketing. Have met a lot of MH people who did not realize Airstream made a class"A". We get a lot of compliments on the interior with real hickory cabinets and doors. We would purchase a larger version.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #104
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
So happy to see you back Fred.

Dave
Old 03-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #105
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Office, Eating Bar, Bed

This might be a good option to offer on a new Class A for those that do business on the road, but still need accommodation options when the extended family visits with you at the campground.

Gets rid of the couch/bed that you just store stuff on. Or it could even replace the table for dinning on.

Dave
Hiddenbed Canada - Unique 2-in-1 Desk-Bed - Better than a Murphy Bed! - YouTube
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #106
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Agree that many people are surprised to see an A/S moho. Our 30 footer still gets comments, and is almost the right size for us except for a lack of storage. Even a little extra cellar space could solve the issues.

A few years ago a dealer was trying to sell an A/S pusher that was about 35 or 38 feet with absolutely beautiful solid wood finish cabinets, great layout. We saw it at a local multi-dealer show at the Alameda County fairgrounds, & wishes I could afford it. I thought it was a 2006 so maybe a prtototype they got from the factory.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #107
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
DoubleBack

Now this unit looks interesting. The idea might even be used in a larger Class A where the rear bedroom/wardroom area could be extended out over your hitch area.
We had discussed the popup roof for the kids room in a privious post on another thread.

Dave

Practical Motorhome Doubleback VW Camper review - YouTube
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 03-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #108
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Now AIRSTREAM ---- this is just to easy.

Freightliner Chassis has just introduced a modular version of their top chassis line, the SL-M.

This adds to the already available XC-M chassis which comes with the basement installed by FREIGHTLINER.

These chassis come complete from the factory with the basement ready to skin. All you have to do AIRSTREAM is add the body and the bling.

No more warranty problems with any of the structure below the body floor for AIRSTREAM. No more special engineering and staff to support the basic structure and frame. Just install the body. Are you listening AIRSTREAM?
How much simpler can it be to get back into the high end motorhome business?

Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation (FCCC)

In designing the SL-M, FCCC engineers created a versatile RV chassis with a fully customizable basement storage space. Designed and engineered with the luxury RV in mind, the SL-M end result allows builders and owners to maximize their storage capacity and explore a wider range of interior layouts. The SL-M can accommodate a variety of coach lengths and floor plans, opening up new configuration possibilities for coach manufacturers and RV owners.

“We created the SL Series out of our focus on our customers’ chassis needs and commitment to always providing them chassis options engineered to meet and exceed those needs,” said FCCC President Bob Harbin. “We certainly took their insights and input into consideration in designing the SL-M. By adding a modular chassis to the SL Series line, we open up our most advanced, durable and reliable chassis to even more customization possibilities.”

For a manufacturer to re-enter the Class A on a limited scale I would think this makes it about as easy as it gets.

Lets get the Class A back into production.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xc-m_chassis.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	182035   Click image for larger version

Name:	AirNearEndOfLine.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	182036  

Old 03-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
A few sheets of Aluminum, and some rivets, and there you go!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #110
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Interesting, but I don't know about that Detroit engine...believe I would rather have an ISL or X.

-Chris
Old 05-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #111
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Class A

Navistar bails on the RV industry.

Airstream has missed the boat here. With all the turmoil going on in the Class A market, Airstream could have taken advantage of a large number of disgruntled owners who are looking for replacement of their Class A.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...pPGtDza0Qz3HhQ

http://www.truckinginfo.com/news/sto...-business.aspx

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/col...c7a9c4a4b.html

No doubt that THOR will benefit from this upset but another THOR branded/built AIRSTREAM CLASS A would definitely fill a void.

Dave
Old 05-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, well that explains why Monaco didn't show a 2013 model Vesta. I E-mailed them to ask why the new [only two model years] Monaco Vesta wasn't shown on their web sight. I asked if sales were too low or if they were having too many problems with this new design. They never answered me.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote