Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #61
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Now we're talkin'. But you have to go the 44' or 45' or you actually lose basement (compared to a 39' rear rad) storage with the tag axle.

My suggestion was 35' basic, 39' deluxe and a special order 44/45 for those that want the top of the line. But after doing some research on the Kaiser Coach, maybe the "Ultimate" would be the top/top of the line.
Your race car or boat fully enclosed in your shop on wheels.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms4140 View Post
Since we are building out AS' next Class A, I vote for the Cummins ISL 400 on a 42-43' tag FL chassis.

-Chris
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Also, the rebirth needs to bring about an all electric coach with residential refrigerator, 6-8 house batteries, 4000 or better inverter, 3 AC's with a 10kw onan quiet diesel genset, etc etc.
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
I don't want to get too far off topic. But I read somewhere that Navistar has worked out a deal with Cummins to buy some of their engines since Navistar was having so much trouble with their own. It's supposed to help them buy some time while they sort out their problems.

Could you imagine being in on the meetings between the two companies?
AirHedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #64
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I think we discussed the electric on another thread, but the all electric, which Airstream made a number of them in the A series, is just not practical unless you are hooked up to a tether. You might as well just build the brick house if you need that degree of power consumption.

The idea of a Class A is to be mobile, self sufficient and travel in comfort and style.

Dave

Quote:
Also, the rebirth needs to bring about an all electric coach with residential refrigerator, 6-8 house batteries, 4000 or better inverter, 3 AC's with a 10kw onan quiet diesel genset, etc etc.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #65
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Navistar has over the years always made available other engine brands as an option on their equipment. And I did see the big Monaco IIRC being offered with a Cummins option.

Dave

[QUOTE=AirHedz;1201919] But I read somewhere that Navistar has worked out a deal with Cummins to buy some of their engines since Navistar was having so much trouble with their own. It's supposed to help them buy some time while they sort out their problems.
QUOTE]
Old 09-12-2012, 01:25 AM   #66
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Most hi-end motor coaches are now all-electric with 6-8 super large 8-D Lifeline AGM batteries (that's about 2000 amp/hours of capacity and almost 1500 lbs of ballast!), 20,000 watt 4 cylinder PowerTech generators, 4-15K roof heat pumps, an Aqua Hot diesel-fired and electric combination hydronic heat/hot water system, a pair of 4000 watt inverter/chargers and a 450 amp alternator that allows using the front roof A/C from an inverter while traveling on the road.

Just a few of the goodies you get for over $1 Million new.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #67
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Ladies & Gentlemen- It is always nice to dream. However remember one always wakes up from a dream and reality strikes.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I'm late to the party, but I always did like the look of these Airstreams.

Rounded corners, aluminum, mid-entry...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #69
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I'm sure that this has been posted before, but if Airstream was to go back into the class A field, they should definitely look at the Newmar Newair as inspiration. IIRC, they were around 30', all electric with Cummins 5.9 in a pusher orientation and longinitudinal single duallies at the rear, one for drive and one for suspension. Drove like a large van, not a motorhome.

PS: it also had a mid-entry door.....

Google Image Result for http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/500/medium/IMG_0337A.JPG
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
my 2 cents

One problem with the last years of the Airstream line of Class A motorhomes was that they were practically indistinguishable from other brands of the type at initial glance. For the standard observer, it was necessary to take a look at the badge in order to ascertain the pedigree.

This was a major problem, in my opinion, because some of the other brands of Class A were (and still are) offering quality as well, often at a lower price. In order to reenter this market, then, Airstream would need to offer a moho of even higher order, entering a style war with SOB manufacturers well versed in the art of this kind of war.

That's why, I think, it would be a mistake to reenter this market with this kind of product. By the same token, then, if I were to engage into this kind of dreaming seriously, I'd do what it takes to return to pedigree, marching to a different drummer by offering a motorhome that is immediately recognizable as an Airstream.

Lynn
Old 09-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #71
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
That's why, I think, it would be a mistake to reenter this market with this kind of product. By the same token, then, if I were to engage into this kind of dreaming seriously, I'd do what it takes to return to pedigree, marching to a different drummer by offering a motorhome that is immediately recognizable as an Airstream.

Lynn
Great post, Lynn. All that plus, AS' lack of a sufficient dealer service network would really put them behind the 8-ball in comparision to the other brands (e.g., Entegra, Nemar, American Coach and Tiffin).

-Chris
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Interesting thread! Dave (Masseyfarm) sent me the link when I asked some questions. We're about a year or less out from buying our full-time coach, and we've settled on a DP coach, 36'-40' in length, no slides, side radiator, full airbag suspension. Although it wasn't really a factor, a distinctive appearance is also a part of the two brands that we're down to. We're looking hard at the mid-90's Foretravel U300 or a Bluebird Wanderlodge SP or PT. The BMC is somewhat above our price, but otherwise fits our needs.

The Foretravel has the sloping windshield and a mid-entry floorplan. The windshield is slightly shorter vertically than the bus-style Foretravels, which means somewhat less solar heat when headed into the sun. The 'Birds, of course, have a distinctive look with their "goat rails" on the roof and steel construction. The BMC and SP models have the mid-entry, which we like, while the PT models are front-entry, which gives the navigator more leg room.

Personally, I'd like Airstream to pay homage to their heritage with a look that distinctly says "Airstream" but not use old construction techniques that we all know have problems. I'm not an engineer, but neither Foretravel owners nor 'Bird owners have reported many problems with leaks. I would assume that there must be a reason for that. Both brands are semi-monocoque construction, which allows for pass-through basement compartments.

We're not fans of slides, either, and from what I've seen on several forums, neither are a lot of full-timers. I'd like the "new Airstream MH" to have at least one model in the 35'-40' range that doesn't have any slides. Solar panels integrated into the design sounds like a no-brainer. I like the suggestion of hidden gutters. I'm not sure that having some mechanism for saving that water is all that helpful. It certainly wouldn't be useful for drinking or cooking. It might be useful for flushing the toilet, but that's about all. Is the extra weight of another tank needed just to use some rain water for flushing? I wouldn't think so.

I do like the idea of having rounded corners on the doors. In fact, all doors and window openings should be rounded. That relieves stress and therefore stress cracks.

Yes, a modern Cummins engine would be a good choice. The question of a lack of dealer service network hasn't really hurt Foretravel. I would suggest that everyone involved in the design and manufacture of these coaches be required to spend at least 10 days and nights per year in one of their products.

Now, who will buy the necessary lottery tickets for us so we can buy one when it is produced?
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #73
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
This new material should work well on the Airstream's Class A exterior/interior above the polished/replaceable Aluminium rub-rail area.

No more luan inside that wall for support of the finished product.

No condensation, should be able to stand up to all-weather use.

Dave

AZDEL:
IXIS® Hybrid ThermoPlastic Composite (HTPC)

The newest member of the Hanwha Azdel product portfolio is our hybrid thermoplastic composite material marketed under the IXIS trade name. This is a multi-layer composite utilizing our LWRT products as a core material and reinforced thermoplastic tapes on the outer surfaces. When processed using specific molding technologies, IXIS is capable of meeting automotive class A finishes, thus this material is primarily aimed at the vehicle exterior body panel market. However, IXIS sheets can be very easily formed into non-class A structural parts.
  • A multi-layer sheet product, IXIS is primarily formed into shape using vacuum-bagging or induction molding techniques.
  • Typically aimed at vehicle class A body panels or structural applications.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #74
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
One problem with the last years of the Airstream line of Class A motorhomes was that they were practically indistinguishable from other brands of the type at initial glance. For the standard observer, it was necessary to take a look at the badge in order to ascertain the pedigree.
Airstream Interstate class Bs are nothing at all like a Class A coach. I'll be the first to admit it. However, the Interstate does serve to refute your argument. Every Class B built on a Sprinter chassis is virtually indistinguishable from any other, at a casual glance. The sole exception is the Winnebago ERA, and that's only because they use those ugly but distinctive swoop&swirl graphics on the sides.

Only an afficcionado can tell the difference at a glance, between an Airstream Interstate, Roadtrek Adventurous, Great West Legend, or Pleasureway Plateau. It's only when you look inside that the differences become apparent.

And yet, Airstream Interstates outsell all of the other brands I've named, despite also being the most expensive of the Sprinter-based Class B's in the USA.

You might have to look at the nameplate to establish the pedigree, but for those who care about quality, subtlety is not a drawback. A whisper can draw just as much attention as a scream, if done right.

But if you want instant recognizability for the new breed of Class As, all you will need is a few WBCCI members putting big red numbers on them…
Old 11-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #75
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I doubt we'll ever see a classic again. The "traveling" public wanted a mobile hardware store, and the the "big box" mo/ho designers delivered.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #76
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Mid Entry

Just to enforce the negative design aspects of the front entrance door.

How am I going to get in and out of my motorhome after the "early to bed guests" retire?

And this is a top of the line 1M$ rig.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
This is a competitive brand mid entry coach. I can't imagine how anyone can argue against this. The most direct route to the kitchen which is the center of activity in any home.
Dave
Old 11-18-2012, 04:26 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:

How am I going to get in and out of my motorhome after the "early to bed guests" retire?

Dave
I won't have that problem, when I purchased my Airstream Class A, someone asked "How many does it sleep?" My response was "ONE", lol.
Thanks for a great thread, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:49 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:

Dave
I would choose my guests carefully. Might get interesting. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #79
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I think the Palazzo 33.1 shows a bit better in the video than the still pictures project.

Still way too square for our new Airstream "A" than I envision but has many of the wanted features.

I like the 36.1 model but would want the floorplan that the 33.1 has expanded.

The 28000# chassis should do the job depending on the unloaded weight of the unit? They don't give carrying capacity numbers.
2013 Palazzo Motorhomes: Class A Diesel RV by Thor Motor Coach

I question the two or more designers of the rear cap? Are we doing square or not? It would be nice if they actually talked to each other before the final rear cap mould was cast.

When researching this and other units, I see "THOR" has standardized the grey and black tanks on this and the Tuscany to equal sizes. WHY? I have never come close to filling the 40 gal black on my Clipper, but have filled the 70gal grey many times. Do these guys ever actually use these things?

New 2013 Thor Palazzo 33.1 Class A Motorhome - YouTube

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Wow...Thor could slap an 'Airstream' logo on this jewel, with some special paint/aluminum refinements and I'd be a happy RV'er indeed....Thor's Palazzo comes with just about everything one needs, right out the factory doors...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
2013 Palazzo Motorhomes: Class A Diesel RV by Thor Motor Coach
I believe the Palazzo has all the accessory openings (furnace, frig, etc.) on the Street side of the coach - a new design trend for Thor, as several of their new designs also follow this thinking - smart indeed!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #80
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
When researching this and other units, I see "THOR" has standardized the grey and black tanks on this and the Tuscany to equal sizes. WHY? I have never come close to filling the 40 gal black on my Clipper, but have filled the 70gal grey many times. Do these guys ever actually use these things?

Dave
A smaller grey tank costs less. That's is probably the answer to why. As to whether they ever use these things, probably not.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote