Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #41
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
That is good! Now that this is moving along I better get out there and buy my lottery ticket and be ready to put my name on the order list.

I do hope they will invite some of us to look at the prototype before final production.

On Airstream's existing Class A' LY's of the 90's to 96, they had an outstanding design for cockpit visual. Then someone decided to put the door up front? and some units had some problems with the ws mount after this move.
I don't think you can beat this visual out of my 96 Clipper.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #42
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Just to prove to Gene that this was not just a drawing.

This Kaiser articulated bus was again away ahead of its time. Other manufactures have done similar articulated units since and they are still in production today. It has many of the design characteristics that we still want in a modern Class A.

Kaiser’s articulated bus | Hemmings Blog: Classic and collectible cars and parts

There is a video here.
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/american-kaiser-coach

This unit is about the same length as Dad's Toy here. Can you imagine storing all your gear inside out of the weather and dust..

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Dave, I've been to Santa Fe lots of times, but I've never seen one of those.
Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaiserarticulated_02_1000.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	167722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaiserarticulated_01_resized.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	167724  

Name:	Kaiserarticulated_03_resized.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	167725  
Old 09-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #43
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Lets work on some smaller details now that we have the inevitable return of the Class A kick-started.

On the mid-mount entrance door, Airstream should use radius corners on the door bottom, just like the existing door top.

This sharp pointed edge on the door bottom corner, catches clothing, splits knees open when not paying attention, and gashes the grandkids heads usually at the beginning of the holiday.

The other cargo doors corners are not a problem as when opened the corner of the door is up out of the way.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	090220123153.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	167827  
Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Lets work on some smaller details now that we have the inevitable return of the Class A kick-started.

Dave
Way to "Assume the Sale" Dave, LOL!

I agree with the round corners, to doors, but think the cargo doors should have the same for exactly the reason you stated.

Mid-mounted or front mounted entrance door.... mid mounted for a few reasons... allows a cleaner line, does not push the co-driver back 2' leading to a more involved and intimate traveling experience... but the midmounted door splits the lounge area... So not sure what is best,
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #45
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
The cockpit is a dedicated work area and not a hallway to the entrance door. You don't have the entrance to your home through your office.

The entrance, located at the division of the kitchen and lounge area is the natural route for resupply, or moving items in and out at the campsite. The kitchen will have a flooring that is resilient and easy to clean. Forward of this point, the flooring should be warm and comfortable.

The cockpit chairs become part of the lounge area only when they are reversed from the work area. With PS Captains being a full recliner it can be used for a sleeper if needed. This can't be done in you need access to a door there.

The cargo doors lift up and the corners are pretty much out of the way when opened.

Only when the main cargo door is used as a work table does it present a hazard.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	052620121551.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	167832   Click image for larger version

Name:	051120121197.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	167833  

Old 09-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm
Just to prove to Gene that this was not just a drawing.

This Kaiser articulated bus was again away ahead of its time. Other manufactures have done similar articulated units since and they are still in production today. It has many of the design characteristics that we still want in a modern Class A.

Kaiser’s articulated bus | Hemmings Blog: Classic and collectible cars and parts

There is a video here.
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/american-kaiser-coach

This unit is about the same length as Dad's Toy here. Can you imagine storing all your gear inside out of the weather and dust..

Dave
I would give anything for more storage!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #47
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
A few points:

• You won't need radiused corners on the doors because the awnings will be roof mounted and will be the electric lateral-arm type....think Girard Awnings that will be no where near the top of the door

• Very few coach models still use the mid-entry configuration. They simply take up too much interior space. Most new design coaches use the front entry with wider entry steps, a set-back passenger seat and hard surface (tile or wood) flooring in place of the ridiculous carpeting.

• Most if not all cargo doors now are side hinged and swing away. They have not opened up and out for a few years. Some of the Newell doors open up but they are articulated and fold in half as they open.

• As for the co-pilot chair reclining....remember the old adage for motor homes: cocktails for 8, dinner for 4, sleeps 2. Plus, they generally have a jack-knife or pull-out sofa for extra sleeping requirements.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #48
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Lew -- We're trying to build an Airstream here.

It just has to have some radius corners. I was referring to the bottom of the door that bites your knee in the dark or cold, when you don't want to let the door swing all the way back. Thats when the kids run into it also.

I know everyone is different, but I would not buy a front entry door motorhome. No need for that clumsy front door canopy that never matches the rest of the unit and is just another wind whistler up front.

I am also probably the only person that doesn't want a slideout When we travel it would just be a nuisance. When we camp, we hope to spend most of our time outside. A 8'6" unit is plenty wide inside if the space is used efficiently.

I am not a fan of the swing out doors but if you have slideouts you have little choice.

That jack-knife sofa is really just made for one person to sleep comfortably in. I have had many great naps in our Captains Chair Recliner.

I know many people like to visit and entertain in their quad slide units, but that is not what I am looking for. We have family and friend connections spread far and wide, so we tend to travel rather than nest in one place.

I was looking on line at the Foretravels today, but I did not order one. Waiting on Airstream.

Dave
Old 09-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #49
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Mid Entry

This is a competitive brand mid entry coach.

I can't imagine how anyone can argue against this. The most direct route to the kitchen which is the center of activity in any home.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2004 Newell.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	167982  
Old 09-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Center door makes sense.
Like them or not, I dont think a midsize class A would fly without slide-outs in this market, unless it was REALLY well designed and special, and even then...

For me, this is all about perceived and real class... and that can only come from good design.

Maybe a Diesel FRED in the 28' to 35', and a pusher over 35', or some crossover in the middle makes sense.

Either way, the "Face" should be instantly recognisable as Airstream, and that means more rounded than flat, with flowing, connected lines, and a bright aluminum silver paint as a base color.

Me, personally, I would like to see a huge glass moon roof in the bedroom... maybe even retractable or tiltable so I can stargaze on those stunning desert nights!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, I think Airstream should make something unique, modern, aerodynamic, comfortable, well built, in 32' or 36' configuration. But Monaco beat them to it with their Vesta. Maybe Airstream should look at one of these before designing theirs. If I were to switch to a Class A, from my trailer, I would buy one of these.
I really like the Vesta. But please oh please don't use a Navistar engine!
AirHedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #52
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Make History

Make History is what Wally directed us to do.

LongLongHoneymoon.com #99 - Wally's World - YouTube

Dave
Old 09-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
For those unfamiliar with DeLoren, it is a composit body with bonded SS panels. Turn the project over to an ouffit like West Customs with access to the AS. Parts bin and you'll have a show ready prototype in 120 days with finishing touches by Timeless Travel Trailers.

Again, don't overthink this project
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHedz View Post
I really like the Vesta. But please oh please don't use a Navistar engine!

Hi, this is a concern, but since Navistar owns Marathon, that's what it gets. This engine might be better in a motorhome because of how it is driven. [versus a pick-up] Also one of the biggest killers of this engine was modifications.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #55
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, this is a concern, but since Navistar owns Marathon, that's what it gets. This engine might be better in a motorhome because of how it is driven. [versus a pick-up] Also one of the biggest killers of this engine was modifications.
Actually, Navistar owns Monaco, not Marathon. The latter is/was the largest exclusive Provost converter and is having extreme financial difficulties at the moment.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
This is a competitive brand mid entry coach.

I can't imagine how anyone can argue against this. The most direct route to the kitchen which is the center of activity in any home.

Dave
Hi, I could argue that this motorhome is too gaudy. I picture old snobs sipping their drinks and eating fish eggs. YUK. Go back to the old style Airstream, but modernized a bit. More modern drive train and suspension. We need a practical motorhome made for the common people, not fancied up like a French ***** house.
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #57
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Hi, I could argue that this motorhome is too gaudy. I picture old snobs sipping their drinks and eating fish eggs. YUK. Go back to the old style Airstream, but modernized a bit. More modern drive train and suspension. We need a practical motorhome made for the common people, not fancied up like a French ***** house.
That photo is of a new Newell Coach. I have about 18 clients that own them from various years. Some of the nicest folks I work for! Very big with the NASCAR circuit too. 4 slides, 45'6'', Cummins ISX with 650 BHP, 12 speed ZF tranny, Auto-levelling air ride, 14' across in the living room with the slides out, incredible fit and finish (the BEST IMHO!), and 7'6" headroom. You can order the mid-entry, but they are trending away from them.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Actually, Navistar owns Monaco, not Marathon. The latter is/was the largest exclusive Provost converter and is having extreme financial difficulties at the moment.

Hi, Lewster; You are correct. We toured both factories in Eugene, Oregon and I sometimes mix them up.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #59
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Easy to do as the Monaco factory buildings (1 million sq. ft. IIRC) were actually right across Coburg Industrial Way from the Marathon plant.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:

Since migrating over to a Class A DP, I have recently had the opportunity to be around several Tiffin Breeze owners who loathe the Navistar MaxxForce engine.

Since we are building out AS' next Class A, I vote for the Cummins ISL 400 on a 42-43' tag FL chassis.

-Chris
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote