Old 09-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
As the former owner of a DeLorean, I wonder why can't Thor design a composite shell with AS linage and design and overlay it with aluminum panels? Like Detroit, Thor can go to the parts bin and pull out windows, doors and hatches to maintain the AS heritage.

Sometimes, one can over think projects like this.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #30
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I am not sure what the attraction is to rivets? Reto look?

Besides distorting the finish, they are a source of maintenance, leaks, and smooth air flow, and difficult to wax around uniformly. I would prefer the mirror finish on the area below the window line with a substantial, replaceable rube rail at the lower quarter of the cargo doors.

Gene has the right idea where you just stick the rivets on like a decal for visual effect.

I would think there could be some justification to research a double roof setup. With the integral canopies mounted on the drop edges of the roof, and the rain collector/solar panels in-between them that are tilt-able, and with an air space between these and the structural roof, it might be some advantage in the heat. The solar panels would be raised to allow, access, inspection and maintenance on the roof proper.

One problem with the PREVOST is the poor side vision from the cockpit. The drivers side window does not even come back to your shoulder. This restricts peripheral vision left, and the entrance door restricts good visibility to the right. This restricts picture taking opportunities for the navigator.
(one of the original selling points of the Classic and the Land Yachts was that they had exceptional visual from the cockpit.)

A mid mount entrance door would be the only model I would be interested in purchasing.

Another point that the designers are missing is, those high windshields. They are more of a pain than useful. What are we looking at, the stars? Why do we need 3' of windshield above your line of sight?

Another point I touched on earlier is the taper of the unit from 102" to 96" at the top of the windshields. This would allow a compound taper on the cockpit side windows to improve airflow, and greatly reduce light reflection at night when looking out the side windows.

I gotta go campin.

Dave

ps: and if this does not happen in the next 3 years, I will be to old to care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StagrLee View Post
Surprised Prevost hasn't come up in this discussion. With Prevost going with a Rivet-less skin, I think a riveted Airstream diesel pusher would be a head turner as well as a unique item in the market. I really like the look of the old riveted Prevosts... A 35' model came up for sale on eBay two years ago (they only made 5 of these). Should have bought that puppy...

Old 09-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
I am not sure what the attraction is to rivets? Reto look?
Yes, I think riveted Prevosts and Airstreams look amazing. Very form over function in regards to your points on issues with riveted construction. Wikipedia has a hi-rez photo of a C-47 cockpit getting riveted. I love that photo...

Rivet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I like the maneuverability of my 30', low profile on the road, etc, but the storage space is kind of tight. I've seen SOB's the same length with lots more storage, and also more space in the head: ours is pretty tight. so, maybe a 32 to 35' length would take care of those issues, and I would indeed love an aluminum exterior.

As Masseyfarm pointed out earlier, bonding technology has taken a few generational leaps, especially with automobile frames and panels, so a relatively smooth panel-to-panel look, with maybe a few decorative rivets, would work well. I have several other items to put on a wish list, and I'm sure everyone does, like a quiet furnace, but also no desire to get down into those weeds right now.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Wow...Thor could slap an 'Airstream' logo on this jewel, with some special paint/aluminum refinements and I'd be a happy RV'er indeed....Thor's Palazzo comes with just about everything one needs, right out the factory doors...

2013 Palazzo Motorhomes: Class A Diesel RV by Thor Motor Coach

I believe the Palazzo has all the accessory openings (furnace, frig, etc.) on the Street side of the coach - a new design trend for Thor, as several of their new designs also follow this thinking - smart indeed!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #34

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
There is now, and going forward, a possible major change in top management at Airstream which could result in a return of a Class A Motorhome if demand appeared to be sufficient to warrant production. ...
OK -- lets dream.

Dave
I guess I missed the press release on that particular subject...

BUT...
I gotta wonder why someone think it would work better in 'round #2' and who in the upper ranks would stick out their neck to give it a try?

Maybe a very limited run of riveted 345's...kinda like the last 25 34'er's... but dang that would be $$$$$ (or a rebadge of a thor)
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #35
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Things don't stay the same forever!

Richard E. Riegel, III to Leave Thor to Establish "Airstream 2 Go," a New Company Renting Airstream Products - Yahoo! Finance

Any place I have ever worked, the management changed approx. every 5 years. In my working career of 50 yrs, I saw many changes in direction, with each management team trying to put their stamp on the company. Some of the same old ideas that failed, are suddenly now brilliant ideas if the time is right and management has the power to push it through.

Specific to the Class A, many of the OEM's have bit the dust and a start up is expensive. Like Denis earlier pointed out, Airstream could almost cobble together a prototype from their shop floor, so its not out of the question. It just needs the will.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
I guess I missed the press release on that particular subject...

BUT...
I gotta wonder why someone think it would work better in 'round #2' and who in the upper ranks would stick out their neck to give it a try?

Maybe a very limited run of riveted 345's...kinda like the last 25 34'er's... but dang that would be $$$$$ (or a rebadge of a thor)
Old 09-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Since he bought out Wayne Thompson's shares from the estate, remaining partner, Pete B. Orthwein, has all the power in Thor. He put Dicky on a track out the door shortly after that transaction. Pete was instrumental in the decision to drop the Class A's. There is no public indication he has changed his mind. Dicky was Wayne's son in law and lost all influence when Wayne died.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Look at this thread for more on changes in Thor: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f224...llc-95715.html

Gene
Old 09-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #38
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Here's a PREVOST video that may be of interest, but my point of the high windshield, and the narrow side window that does not extend past the drivers shoulder, and the front entrance door, are just three points that do not apply to my preferred new Airstream Class A Motorhome.

Would I refuse it if you were to give it to me ---- he** NO!

Driving with PrevostŪ Aware

Dave
Old 09-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Would I refuse it if you were to give it to me ---- he** NO!

Driving with PrevostŪ Aware

Dave
Love the Prevost stunt driving.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
For the record...
I have now made contact with the Product Development Department of Airstream!
Lets hope this thread has some truth and influence!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #41
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
That is good! Now that this is moving along I better get out there and buy my lottery ticket and be ready to put my name on the order list.

I do hope they will invite some of us to look at the prototype before final production.

On Airstream's existing Class A' LY's of the 90's to 96, they had an outstanding design for cockpit visual. Then someone decided to put the door up front? and some units had some problems with the ws mount after this move.
I don't think you can beat this visual out of my 96 Clipper.

Dave
Old 09-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #42
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Just to prove to Gene that this was not just a drawing.

This Kaiser articulated bus was again away ahead of its time. Other manufactures have done similar articulated units since and they are still in production today. It has many of the design characteristics that we still want in a modern Class A.

Kaiser’s articulated bus | Hemmings Blog: Classic and collectible cars and parts

There is a video here.
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/american-kaiser-coach

This unit is about the same length as Dad's Toy here. Can you imagine storing all your gear inside out of the weather and dust..

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Dave, I've been to Santa Fe lots of times, but I've never seen one of those.
Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaiserarticulated_02_1000.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	167722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaiserarticulated_01_resized.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	167724  

Click image for larger version