Old 06-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #127
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Yes they are great Chris if you are hooked up to a tether all the time.
What do you do on a rainy, dull day, when the power is out and your neigbour complains about you running your smelly noisey generator????

I have 586W of solar and live and travel in the marginal solar production areas of the continent. I find that I have enough solar to do everything during a sunny day, but come dusk, I better change the fridge to LPG or risk depleting my batteries with lights, furnace, TV/internet, and all the other stuff that you run in a motorhome.

For the cost and weight of all the batteries you need to run your house fridge, I can carry and buy LPG that gives me 3 sources to heat water, two energy sources to heat the motorhome, and two ways to make dinner. And I can boondock until my waste tanks are full.

I can even run that campfire in a can by just using a length of hose.

Sorry, but my preferences are probably different from those who would park in a travel park most of the time.

My Dometic is now 17 years old and runs 24/7 with no problems that a few modifications didn't fix. What happens when that house fridge has to run on a depleted battery putting out marginal juice?

As has been detailed in many a thread, we all have different needs. "It's whatever turns your crank"

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms4140 View Post
Stay with the old-school 3-way fridge - really? Residential fridges are the cat's meow. We love ours.

-Chris

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #128
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
This just once again shows the error in design of the front door entry in a Class A. The video is not worth watching but this screen shop shows the restrictions of the front entry design.

This scinario might happen on cocktail/movie night after you have been munching on cheezes and dip!

" I'm out of mix Dear! I will have to go to the basement for another case."

One would have to:
1: wash your hands so as not to stain the drapes and chair.
2: return the chair to sitting position and open the drapes.
3: hope you have enough air to open the stepwell
4: duck under the TV
and basically disrupt everything until you return with the mix and restore things to movie mode.

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 06-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #129
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Could use this engine?
World's largest Diesel Engine starting - YouTube
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #130
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
To determine what the new Class A should be takes some research on how, where, when and why, development has progressed to this point from the humble beginnings of the HOUSE CAR.

Doug Keister's 1 hour movie on the general RV, and more specific, the HOUSE CAR gives one a good prospective of how we got this far enjoying life away from home.

Many interesting concepts are touched on but, for those who are primarily interested in Airstream Products, you may just want to fast forward to about the 30 min. mark.

Warning!!!!!!!!!!!! This video has scenes and comments that may be interpreted as how we should conduct life. Sex and suggestive images that some may find 'interesting' are included.

MOBILE MANSIONS: The History of RV's and Trailers Full One Hour Version by Douglas Keister - YouTube

I recommend this video for everyone who will ever want to enjoy the RV lifestyle and has an hour to review a fine historical documentary.

Dave
Old 09-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
This is the type of thing Airstream SHOULD be doing...

Caravisio Concept Caravan by Knaus Tabbert | Tuvie
Old 10-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #132
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Because of extended family health problems we are sailing the CLIPPER for home on the left coast.

The original plan on this tour was to make a stop at JC, to put in a good word on the historical Class A production, and try to promote some type of restoration of an AIRSTREAM Class A model.

For now, I will hope that others that are interested in the Class A models will make their interest known to those in command at the mothership.

With all the interest in RETRO models, I would think that an updated version of some of the past models would not be beyond possible????

I like what I have now but I would jump in line for a 43-45' version of the Clipper. Unfortunatly, I probably will never experience that opportunity.

We have just over 6200 miles on this 2013 tour too day#52 and we are a few days from home yet. The Clipper, has again, just been a true pleasure to navigate around the numerous POI on our route.

The only way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100520136459.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	197162   Click image for larger version

Name:	100520136461.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	197163  

Old 10-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #133
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Arlington Hts , Illinois
I suspect I'm the odd duck here, but the only Class A Airstream that has ever tempted me toward a purchase was a 1970s 28 foot twin bed Argosy. Its layout was very similar to the one in our 1971 23 foot Airstream Safari trailer, with the added convenience of having the trailer and tow vehicle all in one.

What I specifically liked about it was that it wasn't overwhelmingly large. It had a compact rounded cross-section, and looked possible to squeeze into 2 end-on parking spots at a mall, a trick I can't do with our current combined length of 43 feet including tow vehicle.

I ended up not buying because the engine looked impossible to get at for service, and used enough to need it.

What I'd suggest in a new version would be a reliable diesel engine, and a rounded aluminum skin just like the trailers.

I cringe whenever I hear about folks too old to pull a small trailer, who instead want to drive a huge motor home. My father-in-law used to have one of those, and continued to drive it annually to Florida long after we started worrying about his ability to do so. I don't want to be him if I'm ever unable to pull our Safari safely.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #134
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
The design desirability of "mid-entry" in the larger Class A diesel pusher coaches was always available in recent years but on special order from most OEM's. As the marketing for more slides was ramped up, the mid-entry almost disappeared in favour of the transit bus style front door.

One would wonder why a motor vehicle basically designed for two for traveling America's highways and byways, would compromise the drivers and passengers visibility, comfort and convenience, with a door entry into and through the cockpit area so far from the living center of the coach.

Airstream should have fought the 'transit door' trend in the industry, (they never made a coach with a slide on the passenger side mid-body anyway) and marketed the positive benefits of the mid-entry coach.

I would hope, any return to Class A production, would bring more common sense to building products that are designed for what they are intended for.

A 400HP+ diesel on a raised rail HD chassis, with 22" steel belted radials, was never built to be parked for years in the oven of the desert sun, or in the rainforest of the NW. They were made to tour!

If you want a unit to park, you should be considering something that is more endurable for that type of use, like a stick house, or park model trailer.

Here is another example of a competition brand 2008 'Mid-Entry" coach currently available for sale. Too bad it is not an Airstream.

Midway RV Stream&brand=Crescendo&model=8356&perpage=10

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gulf Stream 2008.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	203302  
Old 01-11-2014, 11:53 PM   #135
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
The Good Times

Airstream Rolls out ‘A-Series’ Diesel Pusher

With the introduction of the Airstream A37 diesel pusher motorhome, Airstream Inc., Jackson Center, Ohio, has begun to phase out its gas- and diesel-powered Land Yacht Class A line, in part to develop a new generation of “A-Series” diesel pushers. “We are not retiring the Land Yacht diesel, but we expect that it will fade away,” said Bob Wheeler, Airstream vice president of product development engineering. “We will build the Land Yacht diesel and A-Series parallel to each other for the foreseeable future.” The A-Series, a prototype of which was shown at the 2004 Louisville Show, will be in full production by the fall and available in 37- and 39-foot triple slideout floorplans. Airstream hired Creative Mobile Interiors Inc., a bus converter in Grove City, Ohio, to design and produce the A-Series’ yacht-inspired interior. The coach contains a number of high-end features, according to Creative Mobile founder Owen Connaughton, including pear wood veneer panels, leather seating and solid surface Corian countertops. The A-Series, starting at $310,000, is built on a 32,000-pound GVWR Freightliner XC chassis with a 400-hp Cummins ISL diesel engine. The gas Land Yacht will be replaced by an as-yet-unnamed brand of laminated fiberglass motorhomes, the prototype of which is expected to be shown at the upcoming Louisville Show. “We plan to have a full family of (gas) offerings in several lengths,” Wheeler said. The Thor Industries Inc. subsidiary also is in the midst of planning the launch of an updated version of the Classic Class A, a gas-fueled line last built for the 1995 model year that has features reminiscent of the iconic bullet-shaped Airstream aluminum travel trailer. “Both gas products are unnamed yet,” Wheeler said.

Airstream Rolls out

Print
May 5, 2005 by Sherman Goldenberg Leave a Comment

-------------------------------------------------------
This is old news from good times gone by but it sounded so promising? Kinda like most political announcements we now hear every day. My how times change! How could things have gone so wrong?

Dave

-------------------------------------------------
Old 02-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #136
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Come on Airstream! If Walmart can do this, what can you do to help America be leader of the pack again????

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Walmart Truck.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	206119  
Old 02-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dave,

Looking at that cab, I'm even more afraid of Walmart. Reminds me of one of those movies where a big truck follows a little car with scared people inside—sometimes the truck has a driver and sometimes not.

Gene
Old 11-23-2015, 08:27 PM   #138
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Wouldn't it have been nice if this was AIRSTREAM introducing the new 2015 DIESEL PUSHER, MID-ENTRY?

See what makes a modern travel unit.

Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=rTs2S7RTuGQ
Old 11-30-2015, 01:31 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dave,

"Mid Entry" with a Newell might cost half of their usual line? Like half million US and up? Newell does refurbish older ones and they go for $300 K and up.

How was your summer trip and the new navigator?

Gene
Old 06-09-2016, 12:06 AM   #140
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Re-Birth of Motorized Airstream

Bob Wheeler anounces re-birth of motorized Airstream larger than current Class B?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...4i9nynKRU#t=91

See also the above post #135 for historic information.

Dave