Old 07-23-2016, 02:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Madera , California
Preserving condition of exterior paint and restoring clear coat

Hello all,

The original paint and striping on my unit is in very nice condition over all. Is there a product I can apply to help ward off the uv light that could fade and damage it over time? I plan to cover it when not in use but we plan to use it often.

Also, the clear coat on the top of fiberglass front and rear caps is pealing off. What is my best bet for restoring this?

NathanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:03 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Since no one has responded I will at least send you my sympathies. I had a car that the clear coat began erupting on. If I had kept waxing it every year I would have been fine. I asked a body shop and was told there is no way to repair it without repainting, but it was a body shop, if you have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

I have been thinking about getting a long term product like Poliglow to keep the paint protected on my RVs, since they are both mostly fiberglass. Then I don't HAVE to remember every spring and fall to get out the ladder. All my cars have lasted for 15 years in the sun thanks to the lesson with that old car, I now wax them at least every year.

There are RV wash and wax combinations that are supposed to be good for people that have vehicles that are too big to spend the time doing a good detailed hand job. Just get out there with a hose and wand and you don't have to wax for another 6 months...

2007 LTV Serenity beater 2005 Airstream SkyDeck
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Found this:

How to fix peeling Clear Coat on a vehicle
2007 LTV Serenity beater 2005 Airstream SkyDeck
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:04 AM   #4
International Grey Nomad
1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Have to admit that I am of the "dirt protects the paintwork" school of thought. Terminal laziness has a lot to do with it of course.

Always amuses me that people pay a lot of money to put clear coat over a durable paint job in order to protect the paint job and then don't pick up on the plain fact that the clear coat doesn't last as long as the paint job would have AND the way to fix it is to strip the clear coat off and then repaint.

My airstream has the clear coat peeling off front and rear caps and I couldn't care less. When it gets down to the top of the windscreen, I guess it will stop.
Tony LEE
International Grey Nomad.
Travel photos at Picasa Album
Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:14 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
Clinton , Indiana
Think carefully about options when covering your RV. A tarp can keep moisture & contaminants in as well as out. A product like RejeX might be a good option. It's well known in the aircraft and boat industry and might be a great option for your application as well. It's made by the same people as Corrosion X.
TinTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Great Falls , Montana
I think a professional gel-coat wax job at least once per year will make a difference. Its fiberglass and that's exactly what marina's and yacht dealers recommend for their clients. Must work cause boats are in worst salty wet areas than our RV's. My problem has been with the decals. All were fine till a truck wash used hot water in their spray wand and made the right side start to peel.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:20 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
West Linn , Oregon
My front cap and some of the side cap had peeling clear coat. I had it stripped and repainted. I took the opportunity to replace the 11 year old windshield gasket while I was at it since they had to pull the windshield anyway. It looks great now.

P21932 is offline   Reply With Quote