Old 05-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Helotes , Texas
Parking Brake

This past weekend we took the motorhome out and drove through some heavy rain, while at the RV park it rained another 8 inches. As we started to leave took park brake off and put in drive, it acted as the brake was still on I put the brake on and off still felt like it was on added a little throttle and it started moving. Is the a place that should be lubricated
Thanks

Old 05-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Tub City , British Columbia
Slow release of Air Park Brake

If you are talking about your 2001 XC on Freightliner chassis, it should be equipped on the rear with spring brakes that are released by air.

Do you have drum brakes or disc brakes on that? I would think for that year it would be drum brakes.

A few things that might have happened.

1: You did not allow the air pressure to build up over 70#s before trying to move the unit. A brake "maxi" pot should apply at approx. 60lbs and fully release about 70lbs.

2: As these spring units wear, the pushrod may have enough mis-alignment to hang up on the housing, or you may have a broken spring in the pot.

3: You could have an air leak or punctured diaphragm at the brake pot primary. Are you loosing air?

4: Your unit should be equipped with automatic slacks that may be contacting something that is hanging in the area? Air hoses, wiring?

5: Has the unit been greased lately? The S cam shaft will have two grease fittings. One at the hub and one at the slack adjuster pivot. Do not overgrease.

The slack adjuster may also have a grease fitting and will use a normal chassis grease.

Do not use moly-disulfide loaded
grease or oil because it may shorten
automatic slack adjuster service
life. Do not use pressure-release
grease fittings.

6: There will be an air relay valve that supplies the spring brake with air when you push the park button on the dash. This valve could be at end of life.

If you have limited knowledge of 'AIR BRAKES' Pete Snidal has detailed a good, easy read, review here for Flxible owners and I would say it is a must read for anyone new to Air Brakes.

Article: The Brake System – An Airbrake Primer – Flxible Owners International

Dave

"The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are". Samuel Johnson
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Helotes , Texas
Thanks, I appreciate your response, I'll read tonight and check tomorrow