Old 03-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #15
La Casita
1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
We have the Coleman Road Trip. Wife thinks it's great. I despise it -- heavy, bulky and generally annoying, although it might be okay if we stayed the same place for several days at a time ...

Dan & Liz H

"I'd rather be happy for just one day than miserable for the rest of my life."
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Outdoor grill recommendations

I have had a Napoleon Freestyle PTSS215P/PI that I purchased a little more than 2.5 years ago. While it takes a little practice to master the method of cooking with the Ceramic Infrared Heating Element, once mastered, it is a wonderful grill that is unusually quick to heat/cook for a portable grill. It is all stainless steel so it is easy to clean . . . if that can be said for any grill.

The manufacturer offers a number of options. It is designed to utilize the small portable appliance LP Gas cylinders, but the manufacturer also offers a hose kit to connect to standard LP Gas cylinders in addition to an adapter for use in RVs. A mini side table/arm is offered, and I have gotten quite a bit of use from mine. I also purchased the griddle that takes up about half of the cooking surface when it is used, and it is another feature that I like. The number of options is large for such a small grill. See this link.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Been down the Solaire Infrared route , now use a small inexpensive Weber charcoal grill. But the Cobb Grill sounds kind of intriguing.
The Slowsky's
2008 Airstream 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
Recently started using the Volcano Grill. You can use wood, charcoal or propane, works great with Dutch ovens and has an incredibly small footprint when collapsed. I've tried several different grills and so far this is a favorite!
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
lots of great ideas - here's one from my mother-in-law:

EGGS | Big Green Egg - The Ultimate Cooking Experience

anyone have any experience with this?
JourneytoRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
2013 30' International
Topeka , Kansas
The BGE is the best for slow cooking and for many things, but is very heavy and the internal parts don’t travel well.
2club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
We use the small weber. Always works well.
tarnished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I use a Big Green Egg at home, 18 1/2" grill, but it is way heavy. It does everything: slow cook, sear and slow, or really hot for the Pittsburgh style: black outside and still cool & red in the middle. I grill a lot of fish at home and it stays nice and moist: the heavy ceramic retains a lot of heat. One of our A/S colleagues has the smallest one that he has brought to a rally, but that is also pretty big, has to ride in the bed of his t/v.

I carry the Weber Q200, but found I don't really need the roll-around stand. It is tucked in back, have only pulled it out once. However, the grill has worked great for everything, lets me get the chicken just right too.
Cliff & Andrea,
2 cats, but they stay home
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #23

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
We've used the Weber Q200 the past several years with great results.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Picked up from Costco

good split range control

needs more BTU
no self cleaning function
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Here is one that looks interesting. I would like to see this first hand to see how it is built. Good compact size

Don Hardman
1976 31' Sovereign
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
2013 25' FB International
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
I have a new in the box Napoleon Freestyle PTSS215P/PI for sale, if anyone is interested contact me by PM.
I use a Cobb grill in the Airstream.
If you could have a superpower, what would it be?

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Marthasville , Missouri
We have a BGE at home and a small one for travel. While the small egg is heavy, about 65 lbs plus it's stand, it's a great cooker and for us worth the effort. Normally we take it on trips that include a week or so at one location before moving on. Too much work for one or two nights. As mentioned earlier, the egg is breakable as are it's inside parts and requires some attention to ensure everything arrives intact. The egg and it's inside parts are creamic. We put the egg body in a plastic tub and shim it with padding and strap it in-place in our truck bed. To protect the inside parts, we wrap them in bubble wrap and put them back in the egg. We've also taken the inside parts out of the egg and put them into a box. Either way, the parts have always made the trip intact over several thousands of miles of travel. Really great to arrive at your desintation and fire-up the egg and enjoy the smoke and good food. Does involve some work.

AirEgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Originally Posted by JourneytoRet View Post
CP here. I want to purchase an outside grill that offers a lot of options but is still portable. Any suggestions?
Just bought this at Crate and Barrel for $50. I haven't used it yet, but it looks sturdy and well made, folds up flat and fits into a flat carrying bag. It looks smaller folded up and larger opened than my Webber. Check it out.

FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote