Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
New table 396 XL

My Airstream 2005 396 XL MH has a kitchen table that I never liked. It rattled driving down the road and took up to much space. I finally had enough time to layout what I call my "Counter Table" to replace the old table that attached to the wall where you could sit 2 people one on each side. The table itself was narrow so you would almost be eating out of the other persons plate. Then it stuck out in to the walk way from the front and back of the coach as you passed through the kitchen. Even with the slide out it was in the way, but with the slide in it was really in the way and I ran into that thing several times while parked in storage or leaving or sitting up for a trip. We did not use it for eating and it was just a place to sit things. It had to go. After reading other threads about remodeling the kitchen table/both from others I knew there must something to fit my sit up. I saw in some newer coaches that they had a counter top approach that looked good and something along those lines would work in my space. I decided that I would use Hickory wood for the Counter Table to match the Hickory cabinets and trim through out the Airstream. I found a good looking supply at my local Hardwood supplier and began the project about a month ago. It is all complete except a few finishing touches and cleaning the coach but here are a few pictures of the project.

Old Table

Working with hickory requires sharp saw blades and drill bits but I love the different colors and grain of the wood. I joined about 5 boards to form the top with a joiner and glue laid on a one piece backer of 1/4" plywood. The top is then glued and brad nailed from the bottom of the 1/4" play wood so it is now like a solid piece of wood. I belt sanded the top to get any ridges out and then sanded smooth

I added a trim board around the outside edge and then clamped everything together to let the glue dry

I installed a small 1 3/4" board along the back wall and the one end on the right to hold the Counter Table and attached it with screws from the top. I also added shelve type braces underneath for support, The 2 in the middle are are just "L" shape so they will not be in the way while sitting but the one on the left end is a more heavy duty brace to support the end.

Here is the finished product, no more bumping in to the old table and plenty of room to sit and eat and have a view to the outside through the window. The counter table is 73" long and 19" wide. Towards the right end it then angles out to 24" for about the last 2 feet. This will accommodate a computer work area in that corner and I have added a 1 1/2 hole with a plastic cover for power cords and cable from underneath.

I really am pleased with it. The top was stained with a natural stain to bring out the grain and color of the Hickory and I then used a Spar Urethane for a hard bar top finish. As I said I still have a few finishing touches to complete and will follow up when that is don.

Thanks
Old 07-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Very nice Don. Re-enforces what I have always said, "You don't have to be camping to get enjoyment from your motorhome!"

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I like what you did there Don. I had come across, some time ago, this photo of the same type of alteration to a Land Yacht unit similar to mine. I have no idea who's this is but I hope it is still on the road out there somewhere.
We thought the table worked fine in our Clipper and when we had company we could sit 4 comfortably at the table when it was pulled out.

This is the photo of someones mod on a Landyacht 36'.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Landyacht kitchen reno.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	217353  
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
I like what you did there Don. I had come across, some time ago, this photo of the same type of alteration to a Land Yacht unit similar to mine. I have no idea who's this is but I hope it is still on the road out there somewhere.
We thought the table worked fine in our Clipper and when we had company we could sit 4 comfortably at the table when it was pulled out.

This is the photo of someones mod on a Landyacht 36'.

Dave
Thanks Dave, very similar and looks good. So for I am really liking my my new counter table. Here are a couple of more pictures of the final trim pieces installed and everything cleaned up.

Thanks

Name:	table1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	217456

Name:	table2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	217457