Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Cutter Bus
El Paso , Texas
New Coach Batteries - Suggestions?

I am having to replace our coach batteries..they were already old when we bought this "new to us" 1996 30ft Cutter Bus, and now they won't hold a charge long enough for us to go off the generator more than a couple of hours.

I believe the batteries in the coach are group 24's. Anyone know what the original size batteries were in this coach, and can I put larger batteries in? If so, what is the largest that will fit in the tray?

I'm seriously hooked on AGM's...so probably will splurge since most of our usage is nowhere near hookups...Burning Man (both the main event and regional events) are a big part of our travels and it helps not having to worry about the batteries.

All suggestions are Welcome! Thank you!
David

Old 05-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Tub City , British Columbia
Your question is best answered by yourself. Measure your battery box to determine if you can install larger batteries. All the battery dimensions will be available on line.

I agree with you that the largest battery you have room for is going to serve you the best.

Keep in mind, Deep Cycle AGM batteries may not be compatible with your wet cell start battery for charging. It is best to have all the same type as they have different requirements for charging.

What type of charger/invertor have you got?

Dave

"The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are". Samuel Johnson
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
2000 Land Yacht 30(31') , Inverness, between the Withlachochee River and the Gulf of Mexico, Fl
Get the measurements and check 6 volt golf cart batteries, usually more head room is needed, but if you can put in 2, 4 or 6 batteries, you will have greatest amps and longest life for the cost. Was at dealer mentioned my 10 yrs, not unusual 12 or more with Trojans was his answer. Just remember to only use 50 percent of charge and keep water maintained.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
AGM compatibility question

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Keep in mind, Deep Cycle AGM batteries may not be compatible with your wet cell start battery for charging. It is best to have all the same type as they have different requirements for charging.

What type of charger/invertor have you got?

Dave
Dave:
I'm still a relative newbie to 12 volt systems, especially when it comes to making changes. I'm also leaning toward replacing my two flooded cell batteries with AGM's. I'm not sure what you are referring to by "wet cell start battery". I have a GoPower 1250 watt inverter, and am installing a 45 amp Powermax Boondocker 4-stage converter. My Ford F-150 has a standard "wet cell" battery. (Starter battery?) Any compatibility issues?

Cheers,
Jerry

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2010 Ford F-150 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4 w/ FlipPac camper shell
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

The performance of AGM's always looks impressive, but my belief is they are too expensive for what you gain and the other conflicts that can occur.

You have a wet cell Chassis start battery that will charge quicker than any deep cycle battery. (battery construction gives a thinner plate on a starting battery to provide the high power for starting)

As long as you are aware of this, and monitor your batteries, you can probably use any combination.

Most inverter/chargers will have a setting for AGM or wet cell so combining them would not be my preference.

I have no experience with your PowerMax to judge it.

Dave

"The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are". Samuel Johnson
Old 06-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

When I look at this again I see you are not the OP and that you have a trailer rather than a motorhome. Sorry about that, but you are on the motorhome thread.

Your chassis battery is not part of, or tied to, the primary source of charging for your trailer batteries, so my opinion on mixing batteries does not really apply in your case.

If you are concerned about the batteries gassing, then by all means go for the AGM, but they are expensive. The AGM are a bit easier to bring back to full charge via solar than the wet cell Trojan T105's, if that is what you have in mind.

Dave

Old 06-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Thanks, Dave. Yeah, I didn't realize I was on the RV thread. As a matter of fact, I do rely a great deal on solar charging (120 watt portable setup). So I'll give AGM's a good look before spending the $$.
Cheers,
Jerry

Jerry & Susan
Old 10-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Portland , Oregon
Jerry, are you using a Powermax 4 stage charger to charge your AGM's? I am concerned about using a charger with an equalization mode on AGM's.

I am in the middle of decided which way to go on my battery/charger upgrade.

Vince
vwilleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
AGM's installed

Vince:
I ended up postponing the converter upgrade (PowerMax), because my Airstream mechanic had problems installing it. (I'm not sure it was the new unit, since I had previously installed an inverter, which may have changed the wiring setup.) I did upgrade to the AGM batteries, and just returned from a 4K mile road trip without any battery problems. My current converter is the OEM Parallax.

-Jerry

Jerry & Susan