Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
New Airstream 396XL owner

Its official now, I am the new owner of a 2005 Airstream 396XL diesel pusher Motorhome. Signed all the papers on 3/4/2013 and I am picking it up at Colonial Airstream in Lakewood NJ 3/18/2013. I will then drive back home here to Missouri City TX, just outside of Houston. Buying something like a Motorhome sight unseen would have been difficult for me to do but dealing with everyone at Colonial with their great reputation made the process very easy. They provided me with all of the detailed information that I requested and an abundance of clear pictures as well. I can't wait to pick it it up and finally see the Airstream in person and to meet everyone at Colonial. Also I want to thank Dave, masseyfarm, for his input and research.

I have been a long time Airstream owner and forum member and I will be keeping my 1976 31" sovereign and join the ranks of those that have more than one Airstream.I will continue this thread as I move ahead with the 2005 Airstream 396XL diesel pusher Motorhome. Here are a couple of pictures of my new to me Airstream.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AS-awn_edited-1.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	180453

Click image for larger version

Name:	AS-front inside_edited-1.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	180454
Old 03-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Beautiful, congratulations and have fun picking it up
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Congrats! Thanks for sharing the fun! Have a safe trip!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
Bautiful motor home, great color combination; enjoy and have a safe trip.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
CONGRATULATIONS!! I am glad that you got that motor home off the market. I look often to see if it is still for sale. I had no thought that I would buy it, just dreams. I hope you enjoy to the fullest.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:45 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
very nice! we just bought a 2000 35' DP ourselves. I notice you also have a burgandy colored recliner behind the CP's seat; how is yours secured to the deck?
JourneytoRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I will let you know when I pick it up next week.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Big Rigs

Here is a question for you big diesel rig guys. Its hard enough to pull my 31' Airstream in to the gas station set up just for cars and maneuver around to get gas in the the Suburban. But I would not want to even try this with a 39' coach. So where do you pull in for Diesel. Is a motor home allowed in a truck stop.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Any service station that has diesel, will have it on the outside pump island so that you don't block their view of the pumps. I have never had any problems at large (ie chain or big box store locations).

The biggest problem will be the entrance and exit from some of these locations if there is a steep rise in or out of the lot. Try to pick a level location so as not to drag front of rear.

Know your height and post it on the dash but generally the canopies are 13' or higher.

You should have fills on both sides of that 396. Make sure you have the key!

A lot of pumps shut down at $100 so don't be fooled and think it is full.
If you spend $200 they will usually give you a free coffee.

The truck stop prices posted are often the cash price. It is often cheaper off the freeway. If you have WiFi, check out GasBuddy in the area you are heading.

Have a great trip. Hope you don't have any weather or other problems.

I always wanted to do the Freightliner factory stop in Gaffney. Take notes and give us the details when you get home.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
50 amp shore power

I already have 30 amp shore power here at home for my Airstream trailer and I am going to have my electrician come by and install a 50 amp receptacle for the motor home. I can only park for a short period in my drive way but this will give me time to load and unload after trips. I found an interesting web page on RV wiring that goes in to detail on how the 50 amp service is set up. PPL here in Houston has the 50 amp box that matches the 30 amp I already have installed for the trailer.

RV Wiring

RV Hookup 50 Amp outlet from PPL - PPL Motor Homes
Old 03-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Any service station that has diesel, will have it on the outside pump island so that you don't block their view of the pumps. I have never had any problems at large (ie chain or big box store locations).

The biggest problem will be the entrance and exit from some of these locations if there is a steep rise in or out of the lot. Try to pick a level location so as not to drag front of rear.

Know your height and post it on the dash but generally the canopies are 13' or higher.

You should have fills on both sides of that 396. Make sure you have the key!

A lot of pumps shut down at $100 so don't be fooled and think it is full.
If you spend $200 they will usually give you a free coffee.

The truck stop prices posted are often the cash price. It is often cheaper off the freeway. If you have WiFi, check out GasBuddy in the area you are heading.

Have a great trip. Hope you don't have any weather or other problems.

I always wanted to do the Freightliner factory stop in Gaffney. Take notes and give us the details when you get home.

Dave
Yes I am looking forward to the stop at the Freightliner shop. Although I could not get a firm appt they feel that they will be able to work me in. I plan on being there the afternoon of Wednesday the 20th to put my name on the list for Thursday the 21st. I was hoping they would have one of their training classes on the Freightliner chassis that day but they don't have any scheduled until the following week.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I question whether the cost of changing 30A to 50A can be justified if you are only going to park there for short periods. The 30amp will run everything and one air conditioner with ease.
I am sure you will have plenty of other items to spend your money on?

After reading your post again, I guess you are going to leave the trailer plugged in to the 30amp?

Dave

[QUOTE=adonh;1271097]I already have 30 amp shore power here at home for my Airstream trailer and I am going to have my electrician come by and install a 50 amp receptacle for the motor home. I can only park for a short period in my drive way but this will give me time to load and unload after trips.
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 03-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
[QUOTE=masseyfarm;1271126]I question whether the cost of changing 30A to 50A can be justified if you are only going to park there for short periods. The 30amp will run everything and one air conditioner with ease.
I am sure you will have plenty of other items to spend your money on?

After reading your post again, I guess you are going to leave the trailer plugged in to the 30amp?

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I already have 30 amp shore power here at home for my Airstream trailer and I am going to have my electrician come by and install a 50 amp receptacle for the motor home. I can only park for a short period in my drive way but this will give me time to load and unload after trips.

No I can't get both there in the drive way at the same time from storage. So I would add a 50 amp box just for the motor home. I may be able to stay there a couple of days so this would give me a plug for either of them.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
getting close

OK I think I have everything set up for the trip, airline tickets, cab to the airport, hotel the first night in, shipped a few things so I would not have to carry a big bag on the plane but most important I found the nearest Walmart in Lakewood NJ. I'm ready.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #15
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
You better check on the WalMart in Brick, NJ, as I don't think you can park overnight there??????? It appears to be a 24hr store. Did Colonial not have room for an overnight stay?

This page has info in the left column with some detail you might be interested in.

http://www.allstays.com/c/walmart-lo...-noparking.htm

Dave
Old 03-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I was not planning on parking overnight at the Walmart, but stocking up for the trip. I will either stay there at Colonial on Monday night or find an RV park near by.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #17
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
396 XL Spec Sheet

Don, this should be the one for your unit. The copy is faded but readable.

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...edcab1e468.pdf

Your 396 should be the middle column listed. Note the CC is approx. 4500lbs with your two slides.

Dave
Old 03-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Smile

Thanks Dave the two documents fill in a lot of information on everything that came with the Coach and specific data and measurements as well. Wow

This is terrific. Thanks so much

Don
Old 03-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Storage

OK I have rented a covered storage space 12' X 40' That should give me about a 1 1/2' on each side. Now I just need to find a open parking lot and practice backing this big thing between some markers to get the hang of it. I have no problems backing my 31' Airstream trailer in to tight spaces so I hope this will help in learning to back up the Motor Home.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I am here in NJ

After a travel day on Sunday flew in to Newark and arrived about 9:30 pm. It's going to be cold and a little snow for a couple of days here and in Lakewood they say. We are heading out to Colonial at 8:30 am and I am excited about finally seeing the Airstream Motor Home.