Old 03-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You better check on the WalMart in Brick, NJ, as I don't think you can park overnight there??????? It appears to be a 24hr store. Did Colonial not have room for an overnight stay?

This page has info in the left column with some detail you might be interested in.

http://www.allstays.com/c/walmart-lo...-noparking.htm

Dave

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I was not planning on parking overnight at the Walmart, but stocking up for the trip. I will either stay there at Colonial on Monday night or find an RV park near by.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #17
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
396 XL Spec Sheet

Don, this should be the one for your unit. The copy is faded but readable.

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...edcab1e468.pdf

Your 396 should be the middle column listed. Note the CC is approx. 4500lbs with your two slides.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 03-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Smile

Thanks Dave the two documents fill in a lot of information on everything that came with the Coach and specific data and measurements as well. Wow

This is terrific. Thanks so much

Don
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Storage

OK I have rented a covered storage space 12' X 40' That should give me about a 1 1/2' on each side. Now I just need to find a open parking lot and practice backing this big thing between some markers to get the hang of it. I have no problems backing my 31' Airstream trailer in to tight spaces so I hope this will help in learning to back up the Motor Home.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I am here in NJ

After a travel day on Sunday flew in to Newark and arrived about 9:30 pm. It's going to be cold and a little snow for a couple of days here and in Lakewood they say. We are heading out to Colonial at 8:30 am and I am excited about finally seeing the Airstream Motor Home.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2006 39' A-Series
Prescott , Arizona
50 amp service

Don,
Congrats on your beautiful machine. You will love it. Just to confirm another response, I cannot imagine that you need to spend the money for the 50amp upgrade. Unless you are running both ACs and other big draw items, the DC output from the inverter will be fully charging your batteries even with a 30amp connection. The charging rate is limited by the capacity of inverter/converter... Not so much the hook up amps (again, unless you are using lots of big draw AC items).
If you possibly can, work Camp Freightliner into your schedule. It is excellent. It will convince you that you have the best possible combination: Airstream house and Freightliner chassis.
Jeff Witwer
2000 390XL
Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
We were able to leave Colonial in Lakewood NJ on Tuesday morning. They had sleet and snow on Monday evening but it had stopped by Tuesday morning. So we took off after a day of going over the coach with Keven at Colonial and I did get drive it around a little. What a day of driving Monday was. It started to rain about hour after we left, hard. Then road construction and narrow toll both lanes. But the highlight was the strong wind going south on I-88. It was brutal, but we made a lot of miles and found the only RV park along that route that was open and parked for the night in freezing weather. The coach was still winterized with antifreeze in the water lines. The only bathroom was about 300 yards from the camp site. But we made it and took off for Gaffney SC for the Freightliner service shop early on Wednesday morning. Thankfully no wind and the days trip was very smooth. The coach drives and handles great.

Checked in with Freightlinner that afternoon and they put me on the list for a full Chassis inspection for Thursday and I am sitting in the waiting room now. It is a 15 point inspect that checks fluids, hoses, wiring, leaks,air intake, brakes drive line, steering, exhaust, suspension ride height and shocks and airbags and more. They can make ann repairs or adjustments that are needed.

This should give me a very good starting point on the chassis going forward.

Follow up later
Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Dispointed

After checking in on Thursday morning with Freightliner service I was told I would be the next coach in the service bay. They were working on 3 coaches and expected to have at least one out by 1PM. At 2:30PM I was told that they were still working on all 3 coaches and would not be able to work mine in. Friday was out also because they had a full day with other appointments. So I headed south for home. I was able to cover about 225 miles even going through Atlanta at 5:30PM. I plan to start early on Friday and expect to make it home in the Houston TX area late in the afternoon. I am disappointed because it looked like they were going to be able to work me in for the inspection. I would have even come back on Friday but that was not going to work with them either. The coach runs great and I will have it checked by the Houston Freightliner shop when I get home.

Don
Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #24
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Thats unfortunate they were not able to get you in, but it sounds like you have a well maintained unit that has no pressing needs.

Your local Freightliner Dealer should be more than capable to look after your inspection Doug. It is just 'peace of mind' as a new owner to make sure any updates or service needed gets done. Then you can go out and enjoy the road without worrying that you have overlooked something.

It is always good to establish a close relationship with a service facility near your home. I only suggested Gaffney as you were basically driving right by, and they have some other information programs available there. Next time you go by there you can take your wife back to School at Chassis U.

Have a fun trip.

Dave
Old 03-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I am sorry I could not get in to. As you said the piece of mind of having the Factory inspection was appealing. They were really nice and tried but it did not work out. So I jumped in the Airstream and headed south for home in Houston about 1000 miles from Gaffney I arrived back last night at about 8:30 pm. Me and the Airstream appear to be in one piece. Long drive.

Th Airstream handled and ran perfect. The only thing that happened was when I was In LA after slowing down in Baton Rouge the "Check Coolant level" message can on the dash. Thenresorvoir it went out. I stopped and checked level and it was not low and my Temp guage was at normal, This happened again when I got in Houston and almost home. Could this be a sensor prob. Another good reason to contact the local Freightliner shop and have them check everything.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #26
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
It always good to get home, but soon the itch will be to get out there again.

The coolant warning probably is just the sensor, but have Freightliner read the engine codes to try to determine if something else is happening. It might be just a bad ground or plug connection.

I am not a CAT man so I am having trouble determining what engine you have. Is that the C7 or is it the 3126 model? I believe both were commonly rated at 330HP. If you have the bed up, the engine ID stamp should be on the street side of that engine.

When you go to Freightliner, ask them if you can read the fault codes yourself thru the ECM and dash display. This might come in handy some day on the road to determine whether you have a major or minor problem.

On the C7 you are able to do this by ----

1: Turn key on and engine off.

2: Turn cruise switch to off.

3: Hold the set/resume switch until the yellow engine light starts to flash.

4: Count the engine light display flashes.
For example ___ Flash, flash, pause, flash, flash, flash, is a code 23.

Note: ==== all fault codes will have two digits.

Dave
Old 03-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #27
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Don, if you have not got this information and your engine is a 3126 model CAT, there is a lot of good information here. Worth the read.

http://www.notagz.com/tbb/cat%20eng-er%20serv.pdf

Instructions on how to retrieve your codes, etc. The instructions on page 13/3 are a bit different for the 3126 from the C7.

Dave
Old 03-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Thanks Dave, I am calling my local Freightliner shop Monday morning. I will check the Cat model tomorrow.

Here is another little fix that I need to look in to. The coach rides great, Me and my friend were able to track down a few little rattles and squeaks along the way and fix them so it is pretty quite. Except what sounds to be under the drivers dash/instrument panel. On smooth roads it is only a small squeak,like rubber on rubber, not a wind noise. But on a rougher road its like 2 squirrels fighting. I crawled under there today with a flash light and see a lot of wires and stuff but nothing that I could see that would do this. Any thoughts.

Thanks

Don