Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2006 39' A-Series
Prescott , Arizona
50 amp service

Don,
Congrats on your beautiful machine. You will love it. Just to confirm another response, I cannot imagine that you need to spend the money for the 50amp upgrade. Unless you are running both ACs and other big draw items, the DC output from the inverter will be fully charging your batteries even with a 30amp connection. The charging rate is limited by the capacity of inverter/converter... Not so much the hook up amps (again, unless you are using lots of big draw AC items).
If you possibly can, work Camp Freightliner into your schedule. It is excellent. It will convince you that you have the best possible combination: Airstream house and Freightliner chassis.
Jeff Witwer
2000 390XL
jwitwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
We were able to leave Colonial in Lakewood NJ on Tuesday morning. They had sleet and snow on Monday evening but it had stopped by Tuesday morning. So we took off after a day of going over the coach with Keven at Colonial and I did get drive it around a little. What a day of driving Monday was. It started to rain about hour after we left, hard. Then road construction and narrow toll both lanes. But the highlight was the strong wind going south on I-88. It was brutal, but we made a lot of miles and found the only RV park along that route that was open and parked for the night in freezing weather. The coach was still winterized with antifreeze in the water lines. The only bathroom was about 300 yards from the camp site. But we made it and took off for Gaffney SC for the Freightliner service shop early on Wednesday morning. Thankfully no wind and the days trip was very smooth. The coach drives and handles great.

Checked in with Freightlinner that afternoon and they put me on the list for a full Chassis inspection for Thursday and I am sitting in the waiting room now. It is a 15 point inspect that checks fluids, hoses, wiring, leaks,air intake, brakes drive line, steering, exhaust, suspension ride height and shocks and airbags and more. They can make ann repairs or adjustments that are needed.

This should give me a very good starting point on the chassis going forward.

Follow up later
Old 03-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Dispointed

After checking in on Thursday morning with Freightliner service I was told I would be the next coach in the service bay. They were working on 3 coaches and expected to have at least one out by 1PM. At 2:30PM I was told that they were still working on all 3 coaches and would not be able to work mine in. Friday was out also because they had a full day with other appointments. So I headed south for home. I was able to cover about 225 miles even going through Atlanta at 5:30PM. I plan to start early on Friday and expect to make it home in the Houston TX area late in the afternoon. I am disappointed because it looked like they were going to be able to work me in for the inspection. I would have even come back on Friday but that was not going to work with them either. The coach runs great and I will have it checked by the Houston Freightliner shop when I get home.

Don
Old 03-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #24
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Thats unfortunate they were not able to get you in, but it sounds like you have a well maintained unit that has no pressing needs.

Your local Freightliner Dealer should be more than capable to look after your inspection Doug. It is just 'peace of mind' as a new owner to make sure any updates or service needed gets done. Then you can go out and enjoy the road without worrying that you have overlooked something.

It is always good to establish a close relationship with a service facility near your home. I only suggested Gaffney as you were basically driving right by, and they have some other information programs available there. Next time you go by there you can take your wife back to School at Chassis U.

Have a fun trip.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I am sorry I could not get in to. As you said the piece of mind of having the Factory inspection was appealing. They were really nice and tried but it did not work out. So I jumped in the Airstream and headed south for home in Houston about 1000 miles from Gaffney I arrived back last night at about 8:30 pm. Me and the Airstream appear to be in one piece. Long drive.

Th Airstream handled and ran perfect. The only thing that happened was when I was In LA after slowing down in Baton Rouge the "Check Coolant level" message can on the dash. Thenresorvoir it went out. I stopped and checked level and it was not low and my Temp guage was at normal, This happened again when I got in Houston and almost home. Could this be a sensor prob. Another good reason to contact the local Freightliner shop and have them check everything.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #26
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
It always good to get home, but soon the itch will be to get out there again.

The coolant warning probably is just the sensor, but have Freightliner read the engine codes to try to determine if something else is happening. It might be just a bad ground or plug connection.

I am not a CAT man so I am having trouble determining what engine you have. Is that the C7 or is it the 3126 model? I believe both were commonly rated at 330HP. If you have the bed up, the engine ID stamp should be on the street side of that engine.

When you go to Freightliner, ask them if you can read the fault codes yourself thru the ECM and dash display. This might come in handy some day on the road to determine whether you have a major or minor problem.

On the C7 you are able to do this by ----

1: Turn key on and engine off.

2: Turn cruise switch to off.

3: Hold the set/resume switch until the yellow engine light starts to flash.

4: Count the engine light display flashes.
For example ___ Flash, flash, pause, flash, flash, flash, is a code 23.

Note: ==== all fault codes will have two digits.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 03-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #27
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Don, if you have not got this information and your engine is a 3126 model CAT, there is a lot of good information here. Worth the read.

http://www.notagz.com/tbb/cat%20eng-er%20serv.pdf

Instructions on how to retrieve your codes, etc. The instructions on page 13/3 are a bit different for the 3126 from the C7.

Dave
Old 03-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Thanks Dave, I am calling my local Freightliner shop Monday morning. I will check the Cat model tomorrow.

Here is another little fix that I need to look in to. The coach rides great, Me and my friend were able to track down a few little rattles and squeaks along the way and fix them so it is pretty quite. Except what sounds to be under the drivers dash/instrument panel. On smooth roads it is only a small squeak,like rubber on rubber, not a wind noise. But on a rougher road its like 2 squirrels fighting. I crawled under there today with a flash light and see a lot of wires and stuff but nothing that I could see that would do this. Any thoughts.

Thanks

Don
Old 03-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #29
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I'm going out for the evening so will think about it and get back to you Don. What you describe does not sound like a sway bar rattle, but it might be a rubber bushing. Not sure how yours is set up. This is mine.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ml#post1119267

Dave
Old 03-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I am working on the grey water dump valve and the the city water pressure inlet that has a leak. While I was doing that I tried the handy little soap dispenser to clean my hands but it was corroded and stopped up. I cleaned it but it leaks just a little at the plunger at the bottom. It is a "Lions" brand but I can't find anything on the web. It fits in a little chrome holder and looks neat. I wonder if these are still available.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
passenger seat slideout floor

I am not sure what the actual name is but it is the floor that slides out to cover the stair well when the passenger is sitting in their seat. I know there is a lever by the door that activates this, open and close. I know that it worked on my trip back but I was going to show my wife how neat this today but nothing happened when I move the lever. So what did I do to cause this not to work while I have been parked in RV park with 50 amp power. I know I must have pushed a button somewhere when I parked last Sunday night that turned this off. Thanks
Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #32
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Some other brands have that cover operated by AIR. I am not aware of how Airstream has theirs. Someone else might be able to help.

I see this in the owners manual Don. It is air operated.

AIRSTREAM 390/395/396 XL OWNERS MANUAL
C-16
STEP WELL COVER
Your motorhome is equipped with a pneumatically powered step well cover.
The switch (valve) is a black lever located in the front of the passenger right hand armrest. The
air pressure is supplied by the chassis air ride system. It is normal for the air system to leak down
so you may find the cover to be inoperable if the engine has been shut off for a period of time.
The intent of the step cover is to provide the passenger with a "floor" while traveling and then be
retracted so the steps can be used when stopped. With this in mind you can see where the loss of
air after the motorhome has been shut off for a time is not a problem. When you park the
motorhome you’ll normally retract the step cover so you can at least get out and stretch your legs.
If you happen to lose air pressure before retracting the step cover just starting the engine for a few
minutes will replenish the air supply.

! WARNING: Do not operate the pneumatic cover while standing in the step well.

Dave
Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #33
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I can't imagine what it might be if it is under the dash and not below in the chassis area.
In the past, while underway, I have had my wife use the mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint a dull rattle in the TV cabinet that I was able to correct with some additional insulation.

I would think you could do something similar while underway with a cell phone . Have your partner tape his phone to a yard stick, then after calling you, hold his cell phone in the area of the squeak, to try to determine exactly where it is occurring. I would think you should be able to pinpoint it that way.

About the only movement below the dash should be the steering column that has a rubber weather boot where it goes thru the floor.

You have a front mounted slide out gen set that may be rubbing on something while underway. Did you check that area for obvious signs of chaffing?

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Me and my friend were able to track down a few little rattles and squeaks along the way and fix them so it is pretty quite. Except what sounds to be under the drivers dash/instrument panel. On smooth roads it is only a small squeak,like rubber on rubber, not a wind noise. But on a rougher road its like 2 squirrels fighting. I crawled under there today with a flash light and see a lot of wires and stuff but nothing that I could see that would do this. Any thoughts.
Thanks
Don
Old 03-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
I can't imagine what it might be if it is under the dash and not below in the chassis area.
In the past, while underway, I have had my wife use the mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint a dull rattle in the TV cabinet that I was able to correct with some additional insulation.

I would think you could do something similar while underway with a cell phone . Have your partner tape his phone to a yard stick, then after calling you, hold his cell phone in the area of the squeak, to try to determine exactly where it is occurring. I would think you should be able to pinpoint it that way.

About the only movement below the dash should be the steering column that has a rubber weather boot where it goes thru the floor.

You have a front mounted slide out gen set that may be rubbing on something while underway. Did you check that area for obvious signs of chaffing?

Dave
I crawled under the front of the coach today and the only thing I see that may be causing this is generator muffler pipe that is touching a part of the frame when I moved it it rubs on the frame. There is a strap at the end that come out from under the coach with a metal clamp on the pipe and a rubber piece that attaches to the frame. If I could find something like this it would keep the pipe off of the frame. I guess all I can do is to try and eliminate things.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
If you happen to lose air pressure before retracting the step cover just starting the engine for a fewminutes will replenish the air supply.
Dave

That was it, started it up and after a few minutes it worked just fine. Thanks Dave
Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #36
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I see you have the C7 engine in that Don, so you should have the advantage of all the programing that allows for this engine.

Dave

Quote:
I am not a CAT man so I am having trouble determining what engine you have. Is that the C7 or is it the 3126 model? I believe both were commonly rated at 330HP. If you have the bed up, the engine ID stamp should be on the street side of that engine. Dave
Old 03-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
I see you have the C7 engine in that Don, so you should have the advantage of all the programing that allows for this engine.

Dave
Yes it is the C7 so I will try programing that you included earlier
Old 03-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #38
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I am not sure what the actual name is but it is the floor that slides out to cover the stair well when the passenger is sitting in their seat. I know there is a lever by the door that activates this, open and close. I know that it worked on my trip back but I was going to show my wife how neat this today but nothing happened when I move the lever. So what did I do to cause this not to work while I have been parked in RV park with 50 amp power. I know I must have pushed a button somewhere when I parked last Sunday night that turned this off. Thanks
It works on Air pressure. If you have the jacks down that air has dumped from the system.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream View Post
It works on Air pressure. If you have the jacks down that air has dumped from the system.
Yes that was all it was, its working fine. I am still low on the learning curve about how everything works but making progress. I just found the switch for the seat vibrator yesterday. I am still tryng to figure what the audio control knobs on the right hand side of the bed are for. I think it controls 2 small black speakers over the head of the bed. It has CPS Products on the face.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #40
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
When I read your owners manual again, I see it does say your step cover is tied to the air suspension, so if it is dumped, the step would not work in this case. I find this odd, as I would have thought the step cover would be plumbed to the main chassis air, and not the suspension side.

Your owners manual does not mention a leveling system. Do you have a hydraulic level system on there Don? And do you have a book on it as it is not in the Airstream manual.
http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...9f63512971.pdf

I presume it is a chassis related item.

I see it mentions one in the original add from Colonial.

Call Colonial Airstream 1-800-265-9019 or visit www.colonialairstream.com

Options Included:

• Chiffon Interior Decor
  • Red Metallic Exterior - Fully Body Paint
  • Window Awning Package
  • Emergency Spare Tire
  • Skylight Galley With Shade
  • Corain Flip Shelf Assembly in Galley
  • Chairs - Free Standing (2)
  • Light - Remote Search
  • Power Cord Retractor 50 Amp
  • Sofa - Ultraleather 74"
  • Power Patio Awning 19'
  • Rockguard - Rear W/Bright Stainless Insert
  • Seat - Power Passenger W/Footrest and Vibrasonics in Ultraleather
  • Vent - Fantastic Fan in Bathroom
  • Sleep Number Mattress Fantastic Fan in Bedroom
  • Delphi XM SkyFi2 Satellite Radio
  • CD Changer
  • Garmen Street Pilot 7200 Navigation System
  • Roll-Out Tray 42" (2)
  • LG 26" LCD TV - IPO Stock 20" Tube TV in Galley
  • Insignia 22" LCD TV - IPO 20" Tube Style in Bedroom
  • Winegard Roadtrip Mission - Stationary Satellite TV System
  • CB Radio
  • Custom Windshield & Side Windows (2) Sun Covers
  • Generator Exhaust Stack Kit "Geniture" Custom Wheel & Tire Sun Covers (4)
  • Jack "TV For Free" Outdoor TV Antenna

Standard Features:

CHASSIS

Freightliner XC Chassis • 330 HP Caterpillar Engine • 31,000# GVWR/41,000# GCWR • Rear Axle Ratio 4.63:1 • Air Brakes/Air Suspension w/Manual Dump Valve • Front/Rear Shocks w/Air Suspension • Raised Rail Chassis • ABS Brakes • 50 State Emissions • In Block Heater - On Board Outlet Provided • 150 Gallon Fuel Tank • Aluminum Wheels w/Radial Tires (275/70R 22.5) • 160 Amp Alternator w/Heavy Duty Isolator - Double Entrance Step - Electric Operated • 1000# HW Trailer Hitch -10,000 GVW • 2 Main Batteries • 2-40 Auxiliary Batteries w/Roll-Out Tray • Mud Flaps on Front & Rear • Emergency Start Solenoid (Momentary) • Leveling Jacks - Automatic Control • Undercoating at Select Locations • Control Stick: Signals/Cruise/Wipers/Washers/Hi-Lo Beams • Battery Disconnect-12V at Entrance Door for Coach • Pantograph Wipers w/Wet Arm & Controlled Cycle w/Extra Wide Sweep • Back-Up Warning Buzzer • Transmission Temperature Gauge • Exhaust Brake

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream View Post