Old 06-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
pembroke pines , Florida
motor home tire pressure

I just switched out some 8 year old Michelins with TOYO 245/75 R22.5 and so far could not be happier. Of course my next 1300 mile trip will tell me plenty more. My issue is I don't understand how Airstream determined the inflation pressure on my RIG. Both Michelin and Toyo pretty much have identical weight charts. My rig weighs Right Rear 7875 and Left Rear 7900. Also I don't carry much equipment with me. the placard on the 1999 airstream cutter says 90PSI on the rear duals. Referencing the chart that equates to:

3765*2=7530. I would be 370lbs over weight for that pressure. To me I don't understand how the placard being federally mandated could be so wrong.

I decided to inflate to 100PSI which is 4055*2 = 8110 according to Toyo Chart. That gives me 210 pounds of wiggle room with 20PSI buffer till I hit the 120PSI Max Inflation for the tire since I travel in hot climate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130603_220356.png
Views:	50
Size:	519.9 KB
ID:	187349

If anyone can comment on whether or not their Placard is way off like mine I would be interested to hear.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Tub City , British Columbia
If you check the recalls, you will find there was a recall on the tire pressure label IIRC.

OK ---- this is a Freightliner recall for the chassis specific to tire pressure.

Airstream seems to have ordered light duty chassis (straightrail) and they were basically maxed out with the tires that were supplied with the chassis.

This seems to be an ongoing problem with Airstream, as they have many other recalls for tire pressures over the years.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ml#post1262404

This below is specific to the tire pressure recall.

http://www.arfc.org/commercial/freig...49/recall.aspx

Dave

[QUOTE=randazj;1308006]I just switched out some 8 year old Michelins

"The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are". Samuel Johnson
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

pembroke pines , Florida
Thanks Massey, today I called Freightliner with the VIN and they tell me no recall. Bit what you showed here makes pe4fect sense to me. The guy went on saying the placard shows maximum PSI. I told him the tires hold 120psi max so that cant be true. Then he mentioned that sticker is printed prior to the motorhome being put on the chassis. Thankfully tire manufacturers have a chart. I often here people state of you cant weigh your coach just go with the placard. Evedently this is a bad idea.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

pembroke pines , Florida
Well over 600 miles from South Florida in to Chattanooga Tn. The Toyo tires have performed great. Especially I can feel noticible wet traction compared to the XRVs. Running 100psi rear and 95psi front.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Missouri City , Texas
tire PSI

I have been unable to find a scale locally that I could weigh my 2005 396XL on all four corners. I was bale to weigh with weights for the front and rear axle. However the coach was not fully loaded and the holding tanks and fresh ware were close to empty. The attached pdf doc shows the Michelin tire inflation guide for my 275/70R 22.5 tires. I have added the GVWR from the plate in the coach, the scale weight, a mid range weight between the GVWR and the Scale weight and the actual Tire Max load PSI numbers.

Since I cannot at this time get the weight on all 4 corners should I use the Mid Range weight for my PSI setting or should I use the GVWR psi sittings.

Thanks

275-70R 22.5 tire inflation guide.pdf
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

You should use the tire pressures for the GVWR. That way you don't have to worry about hauling a full load in the heat. I would go with close to 100# on the front and something over 90# on the rear until you get a chance to weight the four corners when loaded.

Your unit will ride a bit softer with less air, but it you are turnpike running in the heat, you will have too much sidewall flex and heat buildup.

Dave

"The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are". Samuel Johnson
Old 08-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

pembroke pines , Florida
So far 1800 miles on the Toyos and really couldnt be happier. Asside from a stiffer ride they have plenty of traction. Especially since I traveled in rain for half of my trip cross country from FL to Michigan. My Cutter drove like a trooper going through those mountains and all temp gauges barely moved to the midpoint.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

This is our first high mile trip since my investment in a hand held temperature reader.

Using this hand held tool to read the tire temperature while on long hot highway trips, immediately after a stop, will give you confidence that all is well, or something is amiss if the temp. variations are great.

We are also pulling the Sidekick on this tour and the temp. reader confirms, each time I stop and use it, that everything is running as it should.

Another great tool you should never leave home without. Easy to use and easy to store.

Dave