Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/slide
Vermilion , Ohio
Motor Home batteries not charging

OK,
2000 AS LY 350 gas MH
I replaced my two RV batteries because they where dead,
Now my new ones are not charging ? I drove 1100 miles and the left the thing for the afternoon and had the porch light on and they where dead???
Any help ?
myfirstrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstrv
OK,
2000 AS LY 350 gas MH
I replaced my two RV batteries because they where dead,
Now my new ones are not charging ? I drove 1100 miles and the left the thing for the afternoon and had the porch light on and they where dead???
Any help ?
Lots of possibilities here. From your description it sounds like your engine battery is keeping its charge which should indicate your alternator is functioning.

If you have a generator on board you might try running it to see if the batteries charge. The generator system connects to the coach batteries in a different location compared to the alternator.

There is also an isolator probably located somewhere under your front hood that should have 3 posts on it. One post should be wired to your alternator output, the 2nd post should go to your engine battery and the 3rd post should go to your coach batteries. If the isolator is bad it could possibly keep the alternator from charging the coach batteries.

Bottom line is you're going to have to do some troubleshooting. Having a decent volt/ohm/meter would certainly help.

Sorry I can't offer anymore suggestions.

Good luck!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Did you ever charge the new batteries with a charger at least overnight?

RV batteries that are wired in behind the Coach batteries will not charge off the Coach if they are wired through an isolater. All isolaters have a diode in them and there is a .9 volt drop across the diode. If the Coach batteries are fully charge the regulator in the alternater will see this and shut down against the Coach batteries.

Charge the RV batteries with a battery charge for at least 12 hours and then see how things are.

I have been thinking of a switching sytem for the alternater that would alternatly look at the Coach and RV for many years. Such a system would fully charge both sets of batteries. Maybe someone will invent it someday.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
OK
I seem to remember to be able to start the generator with out the engine running, Now I have to start the engine to start the Generator ?
I will try to charge the batteries, by the way I have had this thing plugged into shore power for days, 50 amp shore power?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
Brad ,
I will check out the Isolator,

HowieE
Are you saying that unless they have a charge the isolator wont charge them ? Or the isolator will never charge them regardless?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
OK
I seem to remember to be able to start the generator with out the engine running, Now I have to start the engine to start the Generator ?
I will try to charge the batteries, by the way I have had this thing plugged into shore power for days, 50 amp shore power?
Somewhere on your dash should be a switch that normally lets you use the coach batteries to assist in starting the engine if the engine battery was dead. I'm wondering if this also works in reverse. Can you hold the switch in and try to start the genrator? Its possible there is an isolator that will keep this from happening but it might be worth a try!

Good luck!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 03-30-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
HowieE
Are you saying that unless they have a charge the isolator wont charge them ? Or the isolator will never charge them regardless?
It is my understanding that an isolator has a diode in it. The isolator will limit the charge to the Coach batteries to .9 volts below that of the Coach and will only charge as long as the Coach batteries are calling for a charge. The alternator will charge until it's regulator is satified seeing a fully charged Coach batteries. It is possible to actually run the Coach batteries down and restart the Coach off the RV batteries if you have a back feed switch. Under this condition the alternator would recharge the Coach batteries, isolated from the RV by the isolator, because the regulator sees the dead Coach batteries.

The opposite is not possible. Once the RV batteries are dead they have to be charged off a shore line or generator.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
Brad,
Just got in town and checked on the beast
You are correct "You can hold the AUX start switch in to start the generator while the truck/engine battery is charged"
This did start the generator, only when the engine was running.
Now I still need to check the the isolator.
Can I remove the isolator and take it some place to be tested ?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Brad,
Just got in town and checked on the beast
You are correct "You can hold the AUX start switch in to start the generator while the truck/engine battery is charged"
This did start the generator, only when the engine was running.
Now I still need to check the the isolator.
Can I remove the isolator and take it some place to be tested ?
Just a quick thought here. On our 84 Classic there is a battery disconnect switch located in the battery compartment. Is there any chance this switch is in the off position? I think if the switch was off you'd experience the same symptoms as you are now.

As far as removing the isolator, yes you can but make sure you disconnect all the batteries before doing so.

Brad
Old 04-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
Help !!!
ok new problem
I start the generator, and I have NO AC in the motor home ???
Is this still the isolator? or arewe looking a much bigger problem ??
Old 04-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
Sorry to clarify --AC as in 110 volt AC not Air Conditioning
no AC 110volt things work like the microwave, the fridge etc...
Old 04-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Sorry to clarify --AC as in 110 volt AC not Air Conditioning
no AC 110volt things work like the microwave, the fridge etc...
Maybe it would be better if you just stayed away from home.... Sorry couldn't resist!

There are several possibilities, one it could be your main breaker (or one of the other breakers) has tripped. Or the breakers on your generator itself have tripped. There are probably two breakers on your generator so check both.

More details on what you've tried, etc would be helpful.

Good luck!

Brad
Old 04-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It could be as simple as the plug jostled out of position, and all you have to do is plug it back in. The plug SHOULD be at the rear of the generator compartment, if it is like most I've seen.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
It could be as simple as the plug jostled out of position, and all you have to do is plug it back in. The plug SHOULD be at the rear of the generator compartment, if it is like most I've seen.
Terry,

The Classic series (I'm not sure if Myfirstrv's 93 is the same) use transfer relays to transfer between shore power and the generator. You don't have to plug the shore power into an outlet on the motorhome for the generator to feed power to the coach.

Of course the above statement only applies if Myfirstrv's motorhome is wired the same as the Classic motorhomes were wired .

I'm hoping he provides some more detailed information to help troubleshoot the problem.

Brad
Old 04-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
All,
Thanks for the advise
I have to leave town for two weeks
I will start the surgery when I return, unless the beast heals itself ( hey I can dream, some people win the lottery why can't the beast heal itself?)
I will let you know more then
thanks again for the help
I will need more soon
Regards
Rob
Old 05-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
All,
OK I'm back checked on the beast and I have to say I have lost my mind, and I'm an idiot !!!
1) The batteries not charging, I had the shop put two new batteries, and nothing was working right, I never check to see if they actually put two new batteries in, sure enough they did not !! How stupid am I ? So they put two new ones in and everything works great ! (And no I did not pay them again !)
2) Generator no 110 volt working, well I had the generator serviced while servicing they say "THEY ALWAY KILL THE BREAKER" sure enough flipped the breaker on the side of the generator and all is good,
So if anyone out there has some swamp land to sell, or maybe the Brooklyn bridge you know where I am.

Regards,
And from now on Just Call me stupid !
Old 06-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1996 34' Cutter Bus w/slide
Atlanta , Denial
Not stupid. Every single time I have gotten into a brain-bender like that, the result was that I had not one, but two idiotic problems simultaneously, and so nothing made sense. (like...GFI tripped AND a blown fuse, or GFI tripped AND the breaker was off at the source - stuff like that) My new theory is, the sum of two idiotic problems is greater than the sum of its parts. Therefore, I am not necessarily an idiot. I'm not, I'm not, I'm not! And I will stamp my widdo feet and hold my bweaf if you say so.

My new troubleshooting rules are:

1) Start on the middle - GFI, GFI, GFI! (99 times out of 100...)

2) Go back to the beginning - Does the other plug on the inverter have power? (only one place to go from there! Power source.)

3) Go to the end - Run through the breakers and fuses. (AGAIN. grrrr!)

Saves a lot of time to start in the middle. Cuts the problem in half right off.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:58 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
Thank you for the words of encouragement,
However I feel that if I never bought the beast and would have invested my money in Lets say "EXXON" I would have been better off .
With that being said I am content with calling my self well "Not so bright"
You all have to admit that we are not financial wiz bangs, buying such a depreciable item, that falls apart standing still, let alone going 70 miles per hour down the road.
Don't get me wrong I love this 20,000 lb money pit and would do it all over again, however to put that in perspective, the wife loves me?
and Every time I go into a hardware store, I always look what I could use on the beast, not the house "Who cares about the House?"

So to conclude I am not that bright, and every trip I make something "MUST" break or its not a good time.
So see ya all down the road, or on the side of the road, and never leave home with out American Express.
Rob