Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
pembroke pines , Florida
Michelin XRV 235/80 R22.5 Replacement

I have some older XRV tires on my 99 Cutter. After researching countless blogs I am convinced that the XRV is not a good tire. Folks posted that they are as meticulous as I am in checking air and caring for thier tirea and still experience zipper anf or sidewall blow out. I had thw coach weighed 4 corners and run 95psi on all 4. I am considering replacing all 6 with Toyo M154 or Sumitomo ST 718. I have been getting great feedback on both tires. Slightly different size at 245/75 R22.5 but same weight rating and very close RPM. Pleade respond if any of you are running the tires I mention or have decided to swap out the Michelin XRV tire bombs!
randazj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Usually zipper or sidewall blowout are from old tires 7+ years or low tire pressure, I've seen all brands come unglued (50 years) and the folks having a problem have an overweight coach or never check tire pressure. Even watched a fella blow up his new rig when his wife lit the stove for warm danish right next to the fridge that was taken out and the propane line not capped, dealer warned them, didn't have a plug for the line, they said oh we won't use the propane anyway, just going to Orlando for the weekend.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

pembroke pines , Florida
Well I guess you cant trust everything you read but I have read over 6 accounts of 3 year old Michelins properly inflated having complete tire failure. Meantime I sm reading the Toyo is cheaper better ride and more reliable
Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

pembroke pines , Florida
Just replaced my Michelin 235/80 R22.5 with Toyo 245/75 r22.5 (m154). Drove about 50 miles on them. They ride a bit harder but are amazing in the rain. The tread patern prevents thise anoying little rocks from getting inbetween. I still have all kinds of spacing between the duals. The tires I had were nearly 95% at full tread but they were approaching 7 years. Got them installed at Miller Bros in Ft Lauderdale. I will respond back on my next trip to Mi over 1300 miles. About 2600 with all mounted, balanced, valves, etc. No way I was going to make this next trip on those Michellin XRVs.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
International Grey Nomad

Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
I wore out the XRV tyres and swapped to Michelin 245/75 R22.5
Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Nicholasvolle , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by randazj View Post
I have some older XRV tires on my 99 Cutter. After researching countless blogs I am convinced that the XRV is not a good tire. Folks posted that they are as meticulous as I am in checking air and caring for thier tirea and still experience zipper anf or sidewall blow out. I had thw coach weighed 4 corners and run 95psi on all 4. I am considering replacing all 6 with Toyo M154 or Sumitomo ST 718. I have been getting great feedback on both tires. Slightly different size at 245/75 R22.5 but same weight rating and very close RPM. Pleade respond if any of you are running the tires I mention or have decided to swap out the Michelin XRV tire bombs!
I have had 2 sets of toyo tires on my cutter pusher, they are made in japan the first set lasted over 8 years, the current set is about 3 years old and are great, I use the sand bags for balance.
maych is offline   Reply With Quote