Old 11-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Missouri City , Texas
MCD Day/Night Shades

I have been working on installing the MCD windshield and cockpit shades for a couple of weeks now and I have attached some pictures below. I ordered the MCD MCD Innovations American Duo Day/Night windshield and cockpit shades and the screen door pull up day shade and a single night shade for the door. The windshield shade is motorized and the others are manual. They arrived all wrapped and packed nicely in one big box. They fit my measurements exactly and it is a pleasure to see such a well built product made right here in the USA in McKinney TX. The MCD support staff are very helpful and answered all of my questions before the order and during the installation. I could not be more happy. The installation was very straight forward and covered in detail in the owners manual. If you are contemplating this project I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have. The secret is to measure, measure and measure again. Don't take anything for granted. I used an extension pole that locks in place for the windshield measurements, similar to what MCD uses when they install to make sure that I had the exact length. You will see in the first picture that when I removed part of the "A" pillar trim on the drivers side I found a big roll of wires that were behind the cover coming up from the dash area. This meant that I had to push the windshield shade a little more forward to clear these wires. The passenger side "A" pillar did not have any wires under it. In order for the "A" pillar to capture the shade as it lowers I added a thin piece of plastic painted to match the shade fabric attached to the A pillar. One of issues in the Airstream is the big dash "HUMP". MCD added a 4" section at the bottom of the shade with a flexible bottom that adjusts itself to the Hump, somewhat. Also because of the slant of the "A" pillar I did not have enough room to cover a small section at the bottom window when the shade is pulled down. But I am working on a insert that will cover this when I am parked. I will follow up on this later. The remaining pictures show the finished install with the new "Hickory" wood valances that I made to hide the rollers and the dash mount momentary up/down switches. All in All it looks good and works great.

MCD Shades installed.pdf

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Very nice! Love the look.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...