Old 06-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Power Gear Jacks, Clipper

Had a new problem when I went to level the Clipper. The Right Rear Leg would not extend. The pump would run, but no movement on the rr leg.

All these little things take loads of time out of other activities one should be engaging in.

I had MGW press the buttons, and I held my hand on the solenoids on the pump assembly to try to determine which one was not working. That was not conclusive, so I put her on standby rate and proceeded to diagnose the system.

The Clipper has the Power Gear three leg jack system, with the TouchPad 500535, and Control Module 500615.

I checked all the fuses/connectors at the Control Module. OK
I pulled the connector to what I thought was the problem Leg Valve Solenoid and had power there. OK
I tested the solenoid for continuity and the tested good. OK
I cleaned things up and reassembled and tested. Still no right leg. FAIL

I decided to switch solenoids from the front valve to the one I suspected to be the problem. ****FOUND OUT I WAS WORKING ON THE LEFT LEG VALVE AND NOT THE RIGHT.****

Proceed to remove the solenoid from the right valve.
(THIS IS THE ONE MOUNTED TO THE FRONT OF THE HYDRAULIC MANIFOLD.. The left one is in the middle, and the rear valve is for the front leg.)

Tested the solenoid for the rr and it tested good continuity. OK
Switched the solenoid from the left to the right valve and it worked. OK(proved the valve itself was OK)
Installed the Right Solenoid with harness on the left Leg Valve and it worked. OK (Proved that solenoid and wiring was OK).

Cleaned everything up well and reinstalled the assembly on Right Leg Valve. OK WORKED GREAT.

Not sure what was the cause, as all wiring connectors were clean, but one wire seemed to be pulled back in the connector on that assembly.

I had washed/degreased that bay with the high pressure wand last week, so may have disturbed the wire harness enough to fail?????

The Solenoids have a plastic nut that has an O ring that holds it secure.

These Solenoids come with the Leg Valve as an assembly and are expensive. Troubleshoot your problem before spending your money.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	061920121733.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	161385   Click image for larger version

Name:	061920121741.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	161386  

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Good News

Before my problem with the RR Leg as posted above, I had recently been experiencing a minor oil leak on that leg. That usually results in money being thrown at it to find a solution.

When I got the RR Solenoid Leg Valve working again, I did a complete test of system and SILICONE SPRAYED all exposed legs as should be done on a regular basis. (I tend to neglect this preventive maintenance routine when the weather is wet.)
The good news is that the leak seams to have disappeared for the present time.
Silicone spray use is a must for every RV, from hinges, cargo weatherstrip in freezing weather, door latches, locks, seized fasteners, linkage on engine exhaust brakes, throttle/heater cables, and the list goes on.
Never leave home without it.

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote

clipper, land yacht, level system, milwaukee cylinder, electrical system