Old 11-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
Heat in 32 degree weather

Are you folks finding the roof strip heaters adequate for heating the main cabin? Or are you firing up the furnace for those temperatures? Or is there yet another option?

Old 11-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I don't like the heat pump. It is very loud. If I were spending a lot of time in the cold I might use it during the day. It is the furnace for me.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
McHenry , Illinois
If it is not going to freeze enough to have problems with the tanks, any electrical heater will do. If it stays cold enough to freeze the tanks, you need to use the furnace to prevent problems.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
2000 Land Yacht 30(31') , Inverness, between the Withlachochee River and the Gulf of Mexico, Fl
Cube heater works down to 40 at night but doubtful for 32, don't camp in freezing temps, we can wait a 3 days and the front that brought the 32 is usually gone. Found running the heat strips in the front A/C works for sleeping while the back A/C heat strips can be used while watching tv up front in the evening. I do leave the furnace on at low thermostat setting just in case of severe cold, but have to remember to shut it off as I have found the furnace running when parked at home storage, without other heaters running.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
We can live with noise from heat pumps by leaving fan setting on low instead of auto - then noise is consistent - but too cold i noticed I need furnace

I hear some folks use space heater for freezing temps but without duct work to tanks and such that seems questionable...

Furnace does a good job shofar - much much quieter

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
I have two heaters that keep my overlander toasty. One os one of those oil filled electric radiator looking things made by Honeywell. I keep the thermostat mostly on 65 but sometimes turn it higher depending it stays on 24/7 in the living area and pretty much heats all 26 ft just fine. I have a ceramic cube in bathroom for instant hot spot in morning while showering etc. I'm in Alabama so temps are not extreme cold but for 32 or close to that it works great. My unit does not have a furnace in it. I am currently full timing in it
Old 11-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I am still thinking about camping this cold weekend-
There is no water in my system anyway-
I am thinking we can use the bath house or a port-a-potty-
I will wait until mid day to take a bath so I don't have to walk to the bath house in the cold.
It should be warm enough Saturday and Sunday to hook up the city water with no worries.
If you are using the city water connection or fresh water holding tank and pump, use the propane furnace- the ductwork goes where the pipes are-
Or, if you use electric heat leave the cabinets and closet doors open-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I'm headin to monte sano state park this weekend - will be running the furnace to keep things toasty - will likely put fresh water in fresh water tank in case campground pipe freezes and unhook city water at night as temps to drop a bit below 30 degrees

Brrr - Disney movies with the fam at night

I want to try a ceramic heater at some point but my wife doesn't want to add something "to get in the way - and doesn't this thing already have a heater"

Old 11-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Southern , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcoa Roller View Post
I have two heaters that keep my overlander toasty. One os one of those oil filled electric radiator looking things made by Honeywell. I keep the thermostat mostly on 65 but sometimes turn it higher depending it stays on 24/7 in the living area and pretty much heats all 26 ft just fine. I have a ceramic cube in bathroom for instant hot spot in morning while showering etc. I'm in Alabama so temps are not extreme cold but for 32 or close to that it works great. My unit does not have a furnace in it. I am currently full timing in it
This is exactly what we've done in cold weather when we have full hookups. The oil filled heater is whisper quiet, so we leave it on full blast when cold. We use the Pelonis heater to control the temperature, cycling on and off as needed. It stays further away from our sleeping area. Pelonis heaters are so small that they shouldn't bother Mrs. PharmGeek and could be onboard even as an emergency backup.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
Sbb
begorragirl

2006 19' International CCD
Denville , New Jersey
Geek, sounds like u are enjoying, how many children do u have? My little ones have a little toy drawer with just camper toys, mostly little rv matchboxes, they love camping, their big job is taking garbage And.recyclables out. Patrick is the dust buster champ too.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
2 kids

One boy 3 years old

Girl 10 months

Looking forward to good times in the Curtis family 'stream

Old 11-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
SW Florida , Florida
In a 25" Classic an electric heater will do it. Much lower than 40 a heat pump becomes ineffective. When the heat pump freezes up the furnace should come on. As far as tanks it would surprise me if the tanks froze at 20 if the coach is heated. The black tank I have never had one freeze, a valve may freeze but a little heat will free this up

Graduate of 1968 SE Asia school of jungle warfare Duc Pho campus
tailpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We had an electric oil filled radiator style heater in our previous sob trailer. It was quiet and safe. It didn't really warm the trailer, though. That trailer was so big and drafty with a huge slide, lots of windows, lots of outside storage compartments, and 2 entry doors.
There simply isn't enough room for it in the Airstream. It would be in the way- nowhere to store it when not in use.
We have camped in some cold weather with the heat pumps, but this weekend I might use both the heat pumps and the propane furnace.
It is hitched up to the truck and loaded for camping- ready to leave in the morning.
Thursday and Friday will be cold, but Saturday and Sunday will be alright.
Rarin' to go- chompin' at the bits-
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811
Airforums #70955
Old 11-29-2013, 02:25 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It seems that the heat pumps will no longer operate below 32 degrees.
Thank you, Lord, for the propane furnace, electric blanket, and heated mattress cover.
It is 28 degrees, now- high today 53 (a heat wave)- Saturday and Sunday will be warmer-

TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811
Airforums #70955