TL;DR The wiring was reversed.
Traced the wires from the generator. Looks like it's black is ground, red drives the lights and hobbes meter, yellow is start, and brown is stop. But look how it was all wired:
They are ALL different. So I followed the model of how the dash was that worked and got the amidship switch working, unfortunately the switch in the bedroom was actually broken. Ordered a new one, $24 shipped. Need a good RV shop near me. One more issue off my plate!
Oh, while I had the dash apart I took the actual switch apart and found that the bulb that is supposed to shine thru the red indicator part of the switch had come out. I managed with a TINY flat blade to push it back in, so actually 2 things off my plate. YAY!