Old 01-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #29
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
2005 2006 Freightliner Chassis Recall

This is old news, but if you are lucky enough to purchase a 2005-6 low mileage, little used unit from this era, you may want to make sure it has been updated for all recalls.

The recall indicates a total of 51 Airstream units affected for 2005 and 2006. This would be the A37, A39, 360, 390 and 396 XL and the Skydeck units. This confirms my guess on production rate of approx. 2 a month for these premium units.

Dave

2008-05-01(Published by NHTSA on 2008-05-01)Recall Summary:AIRSTREAM IS RECALLING 51 MY 2005-2006 390 SKYDECK, MY 2006-2007 360XL, 390XL, 396XL, A37 AND A39 MOTOR HOMES BUILT ON FREIGHTLINER CHASSIS. THE CHASSIS CONTAIN STEERING FILTERS THAT CAN PLUG DUE TO FAILURE OF THE SCREEN ADHESION TO THE FILTER HOUSING CAUSING A RISE IN RETURN LINE PRESSURE POTENTIALLY LEADING TO A HOSE SEPARATION FROM THE FILTER OR STEERING GEAR FITTING RESULTING IN A SUDDEN LOSS OF STEERING FLUID AND POWER ASSIST. Hazard:SUDDEN LOSS OF STEERING ASSIST WITHOUT WARNING INVOLVING A MOTOR HOME COULD BE A PROBLEM FOR CERTAIN DRIVERS INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.Remedy:FREIGHTLINER IS CONDUCTING THIS RECALL AND WILL REPLACE THE AFFECTED FILTERS WITH A LARGER FILTER (PLEASE SEE 07V-570). THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MAY 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FREIGHTLINER AT 1-800-547-0712 OR AIRSTREAM AT 1-937-596-6111.Additional Info:CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV. NHTSA Source:http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...l_ID=08V198000

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #30
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Airstream 396XL Vehicles On Freighliner Chassis

Specific to the 39' Airstream models on Freightliner Chassis. I would suspect this also applies to the A37 units.

Recalls of Airstream 396XL vehicles

See also "Recalls" here.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f318...ml#post1423570

The information within these recalls indicate again the production volume over the last months of the 36' and 39' Class A models. Total of 51 units from May 6, 2005 to the last unit produced on Oct 30, 2006.

It appears the Airstream date cutoff for that dated years production was end of April. That means --- production after May 1 2006 was registered as 2007 units.

We now have identified existence of serial # XXX957 which should have been the 5th large Class A unit scheduled to go down the line for the 2007 production run. This was early in the production year so there should be more units out there registered as 2007 units as production ceased Oct. 30, 2006?

Side NOTE:

This little bit of information now also helps me understand why we have not found any more AIRSTREAM CLIPPER's from 1996 after my unit was produced in April 1996. With the end of annual production being end of April, that means my CLIPPER #XXX137 was in all probability the last one produced, and also probably the only one produced on the Freightliner Chassis. The actual CLIPPER model production probably only numbered 10 or fewer units, after the introduction of the Airstream 36 which the CLIPPER was derived from. Airstream/Oshkosh/Freightliner History indicate only 25 of this basic model on the V line RR chassis were produced by Airstream with the first units on a much lighter chassis that proved inadequate.

Airstream digital records only go back to 1998 and on many Airstream documents, the Clipper is not even documented, nor is the weight class of the HD V Line RR Chassis of 29500#GVWR.

Dave

From May. 6, 2005 to Oct. 30, 2006 Units Affected: 51 Defect Summary: Airstream is recalling 51 my 2005-2006 390 skydeck, my 2006-2007 360xl, 390xl, 396xl, a37 and a39 motor homes built on freightliner chassis.

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 10-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #31
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Cummins App

Cummins info now in your pocket smart phone.

Dave

COLUMBUS, Ind. – Cummins announced today that they have released a mobile app for Apple iOS devices to customers who want on-the-go access to Cummins part options an engine dataplate information for 15 million Cummins Engine Serial Numbers.

The new mobile app is called QuickServe Online and is available as a free download.

“The QuickServe Online mobile app puts Cummins parts and service information right in the hands of our customers, with easier access than ever before, allowing them to find the most accurate information faster and getting them back on the road quicker,” said Mike Champlin, director – information products, Cummins new and recon(R) parts.

Interested customers can find the mobile app in the Apple App Store by searching for “QuickServeMobile.”

“We will continue to update and enhance the QSOL app to meet our mobile customers’ needs. We are also developing a version of the app for Android(TM) devices, to be released in the near future,” said Champlin.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:53 PM   #32
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Doing my detailed inspections for the new travel season.

I noticed my coolant overflow bottle was empty. (Never should it be empty!)

I added fresh coolant but noticed, what looked like a crack in the reservoir.

I removed it to do a "BLOW" test on it, and it seemed to be OK.

This overflow reservoir is only full when the coolant is hot, so I filled it with hot water and, YES I HAD A CRACK IN IT!

Ordered a new one this morning from Freightliner. It has to come from the south, so will be 10 days or so.

The cost ???????? $28.00 + tax.

Some of the newer style are priced over $100. so I am happy.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150510_154146.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	238223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150510_163121.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	238224  

Old 07-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #33
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
S Cam Brake Service

If you own an Airstream Class A, with Air Brakes, chances are good you will have S Cam Brakes on your unit. (The Disc Brakes only became popular into the 2000's.)

This article just explains some of the things you should be aware of, and looking for, if you are doing brake servicing on these units.

The 65th Anniversary Clipper on Freightliner is equipped with S Cam Brakes.

If you own an Airstream Class A, you should try to subscribe to some of these truck information publications, just for the tips on ownership and maintenance that they provide.

Dave

Bendix offers S-cam brake maintenance tips - Truck News
Old 02-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #34

La Grande , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Airstream did use this XC-21RDX chassis on some models of the 5.9L diesel pusher MHs. This is an extensive/detailed PDF document and is available here. It is 172 pages so give it time to load.

Dave
Dave,

Do you by chance have a similar document for the XC-20RD? I have a 1993 H/R Imperial and this is the closest I've been able to find.

thanks.

-David
Old 02-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
I work for a freightliner dealership in California. If I can be of any assistance, I'll be happy to assist if possible.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #36

La Grande , Oregon
Flh2k,
I am trying to find any documentation that shows the following:

- GCVWR (not GVWR)
- The location of the aux. heater
- The location of the fuel water separator. It's not on the engine and local freightliner shop could not find it.
- any and all wiring schematics.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDawg View Post
Flh2k,
I am trying to find any documentation that shows the following:

- GCVWR (not GVWR)
- The location of the aux. heater
- The location of the fuel water separator. It's not on the engine and local freightliner shop could not find it.
- any and all wiring schematics.
Please provide your last digits of your vin. Give me a couple of days.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #38

La Grande , Oregon
Model: XC20RD
VIN: 4CDR6ER24P2302833
Date of MFR: January 1993

Thank you.....
Old 02-08-2016, 08:37 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
OK let's see what I can find out.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #40
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Michelin are introducing a new steer tire, available this March 1. Details attached.
Dave

"
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Michelin has a new steer tire it says will provide 20% more mileage than any other – and it’s backing up that claim with a guarantee.
The company unveiled its new X Line Energy Z at the Technology & Maintenance Council spring meetings. It says the new design will offer 20% more mileage than leading competitive line-haul steer tires. If it doesn’t, Michelin will pay back to the customer double the price differential between the tires.
The new tire replaces the XZA3+.
“Michelin is known for providing industry-leading mileage and even wear. The Michelin X Line Energy Z continues that evolution, while also increasing fuel efficiency, so fleets get the best of both worlds,” said Adam Murphy, vice-president of marketing for Michelin Americas Truck Tires. “Allowing fleets to get the most out of their line-haul steer tires is what the new Michelin X Line Energy Z tire is all about.”
The tire features a double compound tread that provides long life and fuel efficiency, Murphy explained. The tread features decoupling grooves and directional mini-sipes to promote even tread wear. It also comes with a new casing design that’s backed by a seven-year, 700,000-mile warranty. The new casing design provides 5% less rolling resistance, Michelin says.
Murphy said customers should be able to get three retreads out of the tire.
The tire is available beginning March 1 in 11R22.5, 275/80R22.5, 11R24.5 and 275/80R24.5 sizes in both G and H load ranges.
Murphy said Michelin is targeting the dry van truckload, dry van LTL, refrigerated, tanker, flatbed and auto-hauler segments with the new tire. He said the tire has been thoroughly tested against competitive offerings, giving Michelin the confidence to offer the unique mileage guarantee."
Quoted from TruckNews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
My CLIPPER is equipped with ALCOA 22.5 rims OEM and Bridgestone rubber.

At times I have wished for more ground clearance as the OEM CLIPPER was constructed with the deepest basement vs the overall height for this class of motorhome. Airstream raised the basement on subsequent models to give more clearance at the expense of storage capacity.

I have in my shop, a set of 10 ALCOA 24.5 x 8.25 rims (were my winter rims off my IH 9670) in good condition and have been toying with the idea for using them on the CLIPPER to give a bit more clearance. I have lots of torque with the Cummins CT 8.3 so my only concern was the different speed that the change might make.

Allison requires a visit to their shop to change the sensor located internally on the output shaft of the MD3060, so that might add a few dollars to the change.

But, when I look up some conversion charts I was surprised that it would appear that the change of speed would not be a major consideration if I stayed with low profile tire. Looks like approx. 1 MPH difference at 60 MPH for 275/80 24.5 vs 22.5 tires.

Here is a calculator chart that is available on the Eaton site. Just input your numbers and it will give you a good idea what the change might be.

http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/groups.../ct_062746.swf

There would be quit a difference if I went to the regular 11 x 22.5 tires and even more if I did the 24.5 switch.

All this costs money, so I need to co-ordinate it with my normal tire replacement schedule which should not be due till 2016.

Dave
Old 03-01-2016, 10:09 AM   #41
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Michelin RV Tires

Here is everything you need to know about Michelin tires for your Class A, handling and caring for the same.

http://www.michelintruck.com/assets/...ok_Jan2007.pdf

Dave