Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Freightliner Chassis, Oshkosh, Clipper

I will start this thread to list Freightliner Chassis info as I come across it.

One of the first documents printed and released by Freightliner in Jan. 1996 after the purchase of the Oshkosh chassis division was that of the VC Chassis specifically for the Airstream CLIPPER.
Attached is this document : FCC-VC0401-0. PRINTED IN FEB 1996
Note that this has been produced by Freightliner for the Airstream Clipper. Also you will note that the wb was not correct for the intended application and was hand written after the fact.

Model VC- 29RD/RR. This translates to V-Line 29000 #GVW series ,rear drive, and raised rail.

If you have other Freightliner or earlier Oshkosh documents please feel free to post them.

Dave

Sorry about the quality of the scan. If anyone wanted this let me know and I can make a hard copy and mail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream doc.jpg
Views:	1445
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	148566   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream docfront.jpg
Views:	1605
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	148567  

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Some of the older chassis information and options are rather hard to come by. The next update on the VC Chassis, raised and straight rail, was for 1997 and is outlined below.
The big change was that the standard rear axle was downgraded to Rockwell RS-17-145 @ 17000# and the RS-19-145 19000# was now an option. At some point the Douglas tilt and telescopic steering was dropped, but that is not specifically mentioned in the 1997 specs.

The limited run Clipper (on the raised rail) production ended sometime in 1996, and I don't believe there were any other Airstream models produced on the raised rail chassis until the 39' models arrived in year 2000. By this time the new chassis were id'd as XC, XL, etc.

The Cutter was built on the straight rail version of the VC chassis and had the lower GVW specs.

However the newer chassis info is readily available on line at Freightliner Motorhome Chassis ? RV Chassis

This site will refresh you knowledge on many systems on your chassis.
http://freightlinerchassis.com/docum...4504000000.pdf
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1997 VC Chassis (2).jpg
Views:	1562
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	148595  
Old 01-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
John Deere, Banks, Oshkosh

For those Class A on the John Deere/Oshkosh chassis this link may be of interest.
Airstream built some models of the Class A Cutter on the 3 axle.
Specifically for the EFI Ford 460.
http://assets.bankspower.com/manuals...376-v2-web.pdf

Location of VIN on Oshkosh Chassis
http://www.oshkoshmanuals.com/litera...eries/8-31.pdf

X line chassis with the B5.9 Cummins. This is in great detail.
http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...2106e6e2a8.pdf

A great source for parts and info for John Deere and Oshkosh.
http://www.millsupply.com/ftp/stepva...int-sprint.pdf

Dave
Old 01-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Oshkosh, mc, vc, xc

I have some other older information for the Oshkosh MC, VC, XC, gas and diesel light duty chassis. I will not post it unless someone requests it.
Post your needs or contact me.
Dave
Old 03-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Service Buletins Freightliner

This site has some of the past service bulletins that have been issued for the older Freightliner Chassis.
Service Bulletins
Most of the SB have expired, and if you have problems, this information may help you understand and repair the problem. You can always try the Freightliner dealer, but chances are they will charge you for the repair.
With regards to the Clutch Fan on the Pusher, I believe this was the Cat engine. AFAIK the Cummins CT8.3 in pusher mode was not offered with a clutch fan. A Viscoses fan is not recommended on the pusher as it needs the radiator airflow over it for proper operation.

Airstream never used the side radiator, only the rear mount style.

The bulletin below is of special interest, as my Clipper had this very problem that I discovered on my maintenance inspection and corrected with remounted new hoses at my own expense. I was not aware of the SB and even though I am registered with Freightliner, I have never been informed of any SB information.
  • Service Bulletin - SB 47-15 March 2006
Rear Brake Chamber Air Hoses Chaffing
Some rear service brake hoses on Recreational Vehicle chassis built prior to November 4, 2005 may be damaged due to the two hoses being routed too close together from each relay valve to the left and right spring brake chambers. This routing can allow the hoses to rub against each other, possibly producing a hole in one or both hoses.

Dave
Old 03-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Douglas Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column

Some more information on the Douglas Tilt/telescoping steering column used on the Freightliner chassis. This brand is no longer available but I see in these specs (FCC-VCL 0206-002) that it was still being offered in 2002 on the HD VC raised rail chassis used by Tiffin. This may be of interest if you are looking for parts.
http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/chassis/VC-2002_Z.pdf
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
At some point the Douglas tilt and telescopic steering was dropped, but that is not specifically mentioned in the 1997 specs.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #7

Columbus , Ohio
Oshkosk Chassis Info Needed

I have a 38' 1990 Inland Discovery. Sorry it is not an Airstream, but I am desperate for find how/where I can get Oshkosh Chassis parts.

When I bought it last summer I thought "Oshkosh, I know them and I will be able to get any parts I need". I later found out that they sold these type of chassis designs to Freightliner, and the local Freightliner dealer I called said he could not get me parts.

I have a VC20RD2 chassis and I need sway bar and steering column parts right now.

Any suggestions on where to find manuals or order parts?
livstrhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
This older OSHKOSH information is a challenge to find.
You say you have a VC20RD2 CHASSIS.
I am not familiar with that sequence of ID.
(Mine is Model VC- 29RD/RR. This translates to V-Line 29000 #GVW series ,rear drive, and raised rail).

Is this a Fleetwood Discovery????Length:37 feet, Year:1990, Make Discovery, Model:by Fleetwood

My search does not work with INLAND DISCOVERY.

So, if yours is 38' pusher, it should be on a VC chassis, and the number might read 30 (30000#) RD (rear drive) 2 (might indicate side rad? do you have that?)

I think your best bet is to continue to contact Freightliner and try to deal with a parts person that has been there for some time. My VC chassis parts are available thru Freighliner and the VC chassis was still being used in 2002 by Tiffin.

I got sway bar bushings from Freightliner a couple years ago.

Other RV OEM used these chassis, but they will probably refer you back to Freightliner for chassis information.

This site and others will have bits of information. I suggest you join this Oshkosh information site, which deals with the older chassis.
Oshkosh_Diesel_RV_Chassis : Oshkosh Diesel RV Chassis

allegrobay on oshkosh chassis Do motor homes use common chassis ?

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by livstrhummer View Post
I have a 38' 1990 Inland Discovery. Sorry it is not an Airstream, but I am desperate for find how/where I can get Oshkosh Chassis parts.

When I bought it last summer I thought "Oshkosh, I know them and I will be able to get any parts I need". I later found out that they sold these type of chassis designs to Freightliner, and the local Freightliner dealer I called said he could not get me parts.

I have a VC20RD2 chassis and I need sway bar and steering column parts right now.

Any suggestions on where to find manuals or order parts?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Oshkosh

The more I dig into this, the more I think you have the wrong Oshkosh chassis ID.

Are you sure it is not one of these listed below?

Dave

[QUOTE=masseyfarm;1117837]This older OSHKOSH information is a challenge to find.
You say you have a VC20RD2 CHASSIS.
I am not familiar with that sequence of ID.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OSHKOSH VC-26RD.pdf (1.64 MB, 658 views)
File Type: pdf OSHKOSH VC-22RD.pdf (1.67 MB, 448 views)
Old 03-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #10

Columbus , Ohio
I checked the chassis ID

Thanks for your help.

I double checked the chassis ID. That sequence is correct. The GVWR off the Chassis ID Data sheet is 20,500. That seems consistent with the "20". Perhaps it is just older than you have seen before (it was manufactured in March 1990).

Before I bought the motorhome I learned that "Inland" owned the Discovery brand in 1990, I hear that they later sold it to Freightliner.

Since you were expecting a 30,000 GVWR, I guess mine is on the "light duty" side.

I am pretty handy fixing things, but it seems that I may have my work cut out for me with a unit this old. My draw to it was the 58,000 miles (which I tend to believe) and the price (high 4 digits). It is a Detroit Diesel 8.2L Turbo. Seems to run good, Allison trany shifts well. So far the only chassis work is the sway bar. Rubber is old and shrunk/compressed to the point where there are 1/4 inch gaps everywhere.

By the way, how did you replace the sway bar bushings? There are nuts on both ends, and there does not seem to be any way to hold the "link rod" still to loosen/tighten the nuts.

I also have some "dim" tail lights. I am working on that now. Replacing the bulb sockets, installing LED replacement lamps, and looking for corrosion and bad grounds.

Not enough time in the day.

I will visit a Freightliner dealer soon and push them to see if they can find parts for me.

Thanks again, any advise is appreciated.
livstrhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #11

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
I'll second that recommendation to call Freightliner HQ in Gaffney, South Carolina. They were able to help me last year... and so were the "senior" guys at my local Freightliner dealership. Mine is a 1996 (the year Oshkosh was sold to Freightliner). My steering wheel has an Oshkosh symbol on it.... while the dashboard instrumentation says Freightliner on it. There's also a Freightliner Custom Chassis group on Yahoo (FCOC : FCOC) that you should join as well.

As for a chassis repair manual, the nice guy on the phone in Gaffney said that next time I'm out there, I'm welcome to stop by their library and leave a deposit so that I can take their manual to a copy center and make copies of whatever I need.

Good luck!
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
If your unit is 38' and has only a 20500 GVWR it must be just about overweight MT?
On my research of motorhome chassis, I have never seen that chassis model. The lightest one (for that length of unit) was the 22500 I posted above.

On a previous post I listed this site. Did you check it out?
Page 3 of this document shows some sway bar bushings for Oshkosh and John Deere chassis.
http://www.millsupply.com/ftp/stepva...int-sprint.pdf

My sway bars are probably different from what you have. (pictures below)

When the bushings (on the Yellow Mounts) disintegrate, there will be a audible rattle when traveling low speeds on rough road. They are easy to change with the help of the Power Gear jacks.

Send me a PM with some pictures of your unit.

Dave

[QUOTE=livstrhummer;1119096]Thanks for your help.
By the way, how did you replace the sway bar bushings? There are nuts on both ends, and there does not seem to be any way to hold the "link rod" still to loosen/tighten the nuts.

QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2072.JPG
Views:	3079
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	153278   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2073.JPG
Views:	2370
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	153279  

Old 03-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1998 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Laud by the sea , Florida
Is my 98cutter 35 on an XC chassis?

Thank you!
mfancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Yes/NO?, it should be on a Freightliner VC 26RD which is a lighter version than what the Clipper is equipped with.

Look in the post above re- Oshkosh VC 26RD and it will be similar but updated by Freightliner.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...8&d=1331401118

This is a rear drive, straight rail chassis, with GVW of 26000# or thereabouts.
I believe you will have the Cat engine in that.

Parts are available from your local Freightliner dealer.

The XC chassis I don't think was used until 2000.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfancher View Post
Is my 98cutter 35 on an XC chassis?

Thank you!
Old 03-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
mfrancher: I have sent you a PM with regard to you s/n.

Unfortunately, I have no access to the current Freightliner Custom Chassis Data Base, so I am unable to give specific answers on newer chassis.
This information should be available from your Freightliner dealer through their data base.
If the dealer hesitates, or cannot supply information on your older chassis, call ----Freightliner Custom Chassis, 552 Hyatt Street Gaffney, SC 29341, United States (864) 487-1700, (1-800-FTL-HELP) with your questions.

As you can see, information is hard to come by unless someone posts it on a site like this.
If anyone has original documents that apply to Oshkosh/Freightliner and Airstream, please post for others.

Dave
Old 04-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #16

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Miles City , Montana
my XC20RDX Chassis

Quote:
I have some other older information for the Oshkosh MC, VC, XC, gas and diesel light duty chassis. I will not post it unless someone requests it.
Post your needs or contact me.
Dave
if you have info regaurding this chassis it would be very helpful, i am purchasing a 1994 dolphin on a oshkosh chassis and need all the info i can get.
Thank you
Steve Perkins
sperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #17
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Steve:
You should have a chassis model/number that would be of help to start with.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperkins View Post
if you have info regaurding this chassis it would be very helpful, i am purchasing a 1994 dolphin on a oshkosh chassis and need all the info i can get.
Thank you
Steve Perkins
Old 04-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #18

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Miles City , Montana
oshkosh chassis

Quote:
Steve:
You should have a chassis model/number that would be of help to start with.

Dave
sorry i thought i put this info in. its a 1994 national rv, dolphin D34 model XC20RDX oshkosh chassis
thank you in advance
sperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #19
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Good news Steve.
It is apparent that AIRSTREAM used that same chassis in 1997 so that means that all your information will be available from Freightliner.

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...b841732b51.pdf

That chassis, or one updated that would be close to it, was produced by Freightliner as they took over Oshkosh in Jan 1996.

Contact your Freightliner dealer and if they can't help ask for the head office.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperkins View Post
sorry i thought i put this info in. its a 1994 national rv, dolphin D34 model XC20RDX oshkosh chassis
thank you in advance
Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #20
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Oshkosh Service Bulletin V035RT

I came across this information recently and will post it here for general information on these older OSHKOSH Chassis.

This service bulletin V035RT, dated 7/15/1995 deals with frame cracking at the rear suspension torque arm mount on the right rear rail side.

I can not find the specific bulletin, to determine which chassis it applied to, but it might be worthwhile checking this area if you have an OSHKOSH Chassis manufactured on or before this date.

1995 WINNEBAGO WINNEBAGO User Comment / Complaint

Loss of the torque arm mount would result in loss of control of your unit.

I would think the majority of the limited number of 25 1996 AIRSTREAM MODEL CLIPPER's were manufactured after this date, but the previous Airstream 36' Class A models which the CLIPPER model was based on, certainly would be suspect and require inspection. This may not even apply to the raised rail chassis but a visual check will give peace of mind.

Dave

Dave