Old 10-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member
2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Caldwell , Idaho
I agree with Shinypete I flushed the exterior of my 35xc last year , I was amazed at how much crap and how long it took to have clean water come off the radiator. The cooling fan combined with rear tires kicking up road dust mist ect... really fouls the cooling fins not allowing heat to dissipate.

Ron_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina

Well, over Christmas break me and my 11 year old daughter (she is a tremendous help!) tackled changing the two thermostats. After I described it, and how it works, she was quick to pick it out on the Driver top side of the Cat. 6 bolts removed and a rubber hose clamp later, voila, easy to change and replace.

I did demonstrate to her on the stove how the old ones should work. One opened/closed reliably around 180 deg F, but the other one was a bit sketchy. Also took 2 gallons of antifreeze to replace what splashed out.

Next weekend, we purple power the radiator from the fan side and then gently hose it from the outside in, making sure we put in a temporary shower curtain to protect the Cat from the water and debris.

What have we forgotten?

300HP Cat Diesel
JourneytoRet is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules