Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2015, 08:53 PM   #1
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Dash blower and aircon U/S

The vacuum operated stuff works and I can hear a relay clicking as I turn the function knob, but the blower isn't running. Not sure whether the compressor is engaging or the condenser fan running as I haven't got that far yet.
Probably just a fuse or bad connection or faulty switch, but first find the fuse as in the fuse layout list it isn't obvious.

Anyone point me in the right direction - boxes down by drivers feet or on the firewall in front, or one of two or three fuses floating in mid air.

Thanks

Heading down to Mexico in a few days and it is still hot enough to want - if not actually need - the aircon running.

Ah yes, some useful info - 99 Cutter 35' pusher

Obviously the hope is I don't have to get at the fan which I can barely reach via the drawer slot. I see the carpeted angled panel on the right of the TV housing is pretty loose but it isn't obvious how that comes out other than my favourite method of giving it a good tug and worrying how to put it back later
Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
From my own experience only Tony:

I had a poor ground connection on the blower fan. Caused it to be intermittent. After pulling the cabinet for access, and determining what was wrong, I ran a secondary ground to the fan housing so that problem would be history.

I did replace the blower motor at one time. I just took it to a jobber and they matched it up.

On my CLIPPER, the relay for the highspeed fan is mounted on the front outside firewall, direct in front of the accelerator position. Pull that connection first to make sure you have good contact there. It is susceptible to some weather corrosion there? On mine, the fuse block in located just above and to the center of this relay.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #3
International Grey Nomad

Thanks Dave, I'll have a look.
This problem showed up right at the end of the last trip which was well over a year ago and memory is a bit hazy, but I vaguely remember it being intermittent in the couple of days before it failed - which was in 100F+ weather near Vegas so I quickly went native and ran the generator and both aircons and to heck with carbon footprint.
Trip map at Spotwalla
Old 11-01-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
International Grey Nomad

Yes seems as if it was the relay-- corroded contacts, so a squirt of contact cleaner did the trick -- eventually. Trouble is then the fan started squealing like a stuck pig, so needed a grease and oil change, which was a lot easier said than done. Finding three screws buried in the carpet on the side panel, then unscrewing the fan out of the housing and then unscrewing the TV housing off the floor and then moving it forceably aside to get the fan out did take more than a couple of minutes, and then squirting all sorts of lubricants into the bearings and it is good as new, for a while at least. Next time it will be a lot faster job.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
International Grey Nomad

Dave, the lubrication got us through the Baja trip without too much bearing squealing, but as i thought, kt wasnt going to cure the problem.

What sort of place should i go to to find a replacement? NAPA or autozone or?????

Thanks
Trip map at Spotwalla
Old 12-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I got mine at NAPA. #4725, for $75.00 or so in 2011.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 12-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
International Grey Nomad

Thanks Dave. I'll give them a try. Got a few days sitting around before we head back south and it is too cold to work on the outside of the MH so may as well fix the fan
Old 12-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
International Grey Nomad

Times change. For the better for some, worse for others. Replacement made in China cost 25 dollars. Down just a tad from 2013 prices.
Doubt if I'll be around to see if it lasts 15 years like the first one.

Their current part number is
Small motor. BK 655-1076. $20.15 including tax
Trip map at Spotwalla
Old 01-04-2016, 11:03 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
When you refer to the "highspeed" fan, are you saying that the fan running at the highest speed please? My fan works on all speeds except the highest.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #10
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Yes, there is a high speed.

(fan should run all the time heat or air is on. Also two more slow speeds.)

The lower speeds run through a resistor. The high speed runs through a relay direct off the battery main.
High speed problems could be just a ground, dirty relay, or a fuse.

Dave
Old 04-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Gaffney , South Carolina
Hey Dave. Any chance of taking a pic of the relay and fuse for the vent fan please? I have opened the outside "hood" and there's a big, black fuse box with about 20 automotive fuses, but none labeled for the fan though I'm at the point of pulling every fuse and looking to see if it's broke...(if I don't pull out my hair first).
Old 04-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Gaffney , South Carolina
Found the main fuse for the vent fan to work on the Highest setting. So now the fan works at the fastest setting but not the other three (3) lower speeds. Looking for a fuse and/or ground issue later tonight.