Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #1

1992 34' Limited
1992 34' Limited
1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
St, Petersburg , Florida
Cutter Starting Problem

I have a problem with my ’99 Cutter that has baffled me. It has the CAT 3126B and the Allison six speed with the pushbutton shifter.When I turn the ignition on, the dash comes alive with all functions, but the engine does not turn over when I turn the key to the start position. I initially removed the ignition switch, I bench tested it, (worked fine) but replaced it anyway.With the key on, I can start the engine with a remote starter switch at the starter solenoid.The other symptom is when I turn the key on, the indicator light on the gear selector pad blinks very momentarily as well as the “jacks down” light on the Power Gear panel, then neither of these panels have power to them.The blinks are so momentary it is like an interlock relay opening, sensing an issue.I assume that without power to the transmission shift pad, the neutral safety does not work and that is keeping the start circuit open.The jacks are up and the hydraulic reservoir is full, parking brake is on, door is shut, step is in.I have checked and cleaned connectors, fuses, and relays.I am an old school heavy equipment mechanic that “kept ‘em running in the Navy SeaBees, but this one has got me baffled.I would appreciate some help.
dianeorjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:19 AM   #2
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
Is there a starter relay?
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
I would try to cycle the leveling system again and make sure they are completely retracted, I had the same problem 2 years ago on July 4th weekend and after wasting 4 hours on the phone with the idiots at LIPPERT CONTROL SYSTEMS, who told me I needed a new electric pump motor for $800.00 even though it ran when I jumped it. Turned out to be corroded wires on the solenoid of the leveling system in the left rear compartment. The only other possibility I can think of is a slide is still out, but I don’t think cutters have slides. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Nicholasvolle , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeorjerry View Post
I have a problem with my ’99 Cutter that has baffled me. It has the CAT 3126B and the Allison six speed with the pushbutton shifter.When I turn the ignition on, the dash comes alive with all functions, but the engine does not turn over when I turn the key to the start position. I initially removed the ignition switch, I bench tested it, (worked fine) but replaced it anyway.With the key on, I can start the engine with a remote starter switch at the starter solenoid.The other symptom is when I turn the key on, the indicator light on the gear selector pad blinks very momentarily as well as the “jacks down” light on the Power Gear panel, then neither of these panels have power to them.The blinks are so momentary it is like an interlock relay opening, sensing an issue.I assume that without power to the transmission shift pad, the neutral safety does not work and that is keeping the start circuit open.The jacks are up and the hydraulic reservoir is full, parking brake is on, door is shut, step is in.I have checked and cleaned connectors, fuses, and relays.I am an old school heavy equipment mechanic that “kept ‘em running in the Navy SeaBees, but this one has got me baffled.I would appreciate some help.
might check the fluid in the container may be low, if it is low the light will be on
maych is offline   Reply With Quote