Old 08-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #1

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
Converter replacement

Time to replace the converter as the original one is on its last legs. It's very warm & loud and not doing its job 100%.

It's located under the foot of the queen bed on the 96 Cutter pusher. It's a Magnetek 900 series, model 950p. I'll update the process as it unfolds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2385005628.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	522.6 KB
ID:	165283

Old 08-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I don't know why but converters just don't seem to last. We've owned three different motorhomes and each time we bought one the converter was bad and needed replacing.

I do believe though the newer solid state units do seem to last longer and work better.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #3

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
Well, I finished the upgrade yesterday. I ended up purchasing a PowerMax PM4B-60 from BestConverters on recommendation of fellow AirForums member Airslide. It was a good day to test it out as it was 100 degrees here in Petaluma, California. It got a little bit warm, but never hot enough to start the fan running on it.

I re-used the original mounting brackets, which should let it run a little cooler, since they let the converter sit out about 1/2". I just had to drill some new holes in them and find some nuts and bolts to mount them on the new converter.

Now the lights don't get dimmer and the fans don't spin slower every time I turn on another accessory (even on shore power). The foot of the bed is now slightly warm instead of very warm as well.

So I keep on keeping on, time to replace the toilet valve next.....
Old 01-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Hey Adam, do you have an update over how well the Boondocker is working for you? Thoughts or comments? Thanks!

Philip
Old 01-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I installed a Powermax Boondocker in our Safari based on the recommendation of Randy at Best Converter. It has worked well. We use it in conjunction with a Honda 2000i generator for charging a pair of group 27 AGM batteries when necessary.

I do not have the personal experience to compare the Powermax performance with other good quality converters.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #6

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
Hi Phillip,

So far, so good. I've only done one trip with it so far since I installed it and it was fine. We've had a few different sets of family stay with us in the Cutter over the holidays. There were no problems and it was on shore power. We haven't done any boondocking with the Cutter recently. I haven't had the motorhome plugged into shore power for about 4 weeks now and when I went in there today, the batteries were able to power everything up just fine. The batteries could never last that long before I replaced the converter so I know that the batteries are being charged correctly. I just wish all repairs were this easy!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #7

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
We just got back yesterday from 4 nights camping at Doran Beach, where there are no hookups. I wouldn't call it boondocking... but we did rely on our house batteries (2 group 27 deep cycle batteries) and our on-board diesel generator for power the entire time. We ran the generator for about a half hour in the mornings and about 45 minutes in the evenings. We had no problems at all with power to run the furnace, lights, water pump, etc. So the PowerMax did fine the whole time. I didn't check the batteries with a multimeter, but I can see installing a real voltage gauge in the future. I don't really trust the battery condition indicator on the range hood (although they indicated the batteries were fully charged). The fan on the converter turned on for about 20 minutes when I plugged into shore power yesterday afternoon, indicating that some serious charging was going on. I wish all repairs were this easy!

Hey Philip, I'm from Las Cruces and I'm out there quite a bit!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
I'm glad the boondocker is working out for you! Mine is working well, too. I've only heard the fan twice since I installed in January. I'm connected to shore power all the time, so the old parallax fried one of my batteries. I don't notice I'm running on one battery. I'll invest in some new group 27's in the fall, I think, unless something pushes me to buy sooner. Both of mine are dated 2005, so they have more than surpassed their useful life.

I get to Cruces every once in a while. I'm currently doing a short term contract over the range at WSMR. I love this region, just wish there were better (read 'more') opportunities for employment. Let me know when you get this way again, and we'll do a mini rally!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #9

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
Hey Philip,

Glad you got a boondocker as well. We've never stayed out that long without electricity and it was surprisingly reassuring to have full power just from our batteries. It rained most of the time we were at Doran Beach in Bodega Bay.... so the fact that the fridge stayed on with propane (and a tiny bit of 12v), the furnace kept on going with all the lights working was awesome. We took this motorhome to Vancouver Island the week after we bought it and I remember people in Victoria waving us down to let us know that the electric Kwikee steps were down.... no power to get em back up. Had to buy one of those batteries there in Canada. The best deal going for these is at Costco (think warranty).

I'll let you know next time I'm out there. And likewise, if you're out here in the San Francisco Bay Area, don't hesitate to look me up!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #10

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
We just returned last Friday from a trip to the Carmel, Monterey and Big Sur areas of coastal Northern California for 2 weeks. We camped at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park for the last week. No hookups again. The PowerMax did its job well again. Just a little charging needed in the morning and evening for 45-60 minutes and we were camping in style. Sooner or later I'll invest in some solar panels as we like camping real close to nature (where there are no hookups!). Although we had done no real boondocking when I did the upgrade... I now see why this converter is called the Boondocker.

Thanks again Airslide & Best Converters!
Old 10-25-2016, 07:49 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Having a Boondocker put in as we speak

2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote