Old 08-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Clipper, Street Water Service, Check Valve

Applies to Clipper and possibly other units.

We are camping on the on the shores of the Georgia Strait and on the second day of being hooked up to the cg water supply the fitting on the "pex to check valve", on the street side of the pressure reducing valve, cracked and flooded my service compartment.
Not a big deal as, on the Clipper, this compartment is located aft of the rear axle and is segregated from the other cargo compartments.(another good Clipper OEM design)

This has not been a bid problem camping wise as I have just filled the fresh water tank and we are using the pump.

I now have a very clean service bay!

I have the fitting off and hope to get to the hardware store today to see if they have what I need.

The pex line and fitting was OEM installed with a bit of stress on it as the pex line was a little long, and then clamped with a slight bend. Not sure if that or old age was the main cause?

Camping is always an "experience" and this one will be remembered for the "water leak".

Dave

Old 08-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Got my water system back together today. The local general store had limited plumbing so used a 20" flex compression fitting, to a 3/8" comp./1/2"pex supply valve. Rerouted the reducing valve so that I can stand a portable filter and storage jug in the corner of the bay. No leaks now, and I have another shut off in the service bay.

To organize the compartment, I remounted my coil of spare hose so that it is out of the way of the power real.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	080220122685.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	164642   Click image for larger version

Name:	080220122688.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	164643  

Name:	080220122689.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	164644   Click image for larger version

Name:	080220122690.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	164645  

Old 08-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Water Reel

This season my water reel has not been latching when you pull it out. I thought probably a broken spring on the catch. I just jammed a wedge of wood in last week at the beach to keep the reel locked.

Went to try to fix it today and I could make it work by manipulation with a piece of wire.

Out comes the Silicone Spray can and that job in finished in about 5 min.

Anything that moves needs lubrication, so now I will add the water reel stop mechanism to the Silicone Spray list.

Dave
Old 02-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Winter Travel, Heated Water Service Bay, Clipper

I had a chance today to take some pictures of my emergency heat installation in the city water bay on the CLIPPER.

This bay in located to the rear of the drive axle and is subject to freezing if you are caught unprepared.

I had previously installed a 12V car heater in the rear of this bay that plugs into an all weather power plug I located there for general use. This small heater is capable of protecting the hose reel and pressure reducing valve from damage if one gets caught in an unexpected freeze while travelling.

The power plug is wired to the #10 feed to the compartment lamp. This allows the heater to be controlled from the cockpit by the compartment light master switch.

I have never had to use it, but being prepared is what its all about - right?

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	021120134448.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	178812   Click image for larger version

Name:	021120134459.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	178813  

Name:	021120134460.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	178814   Click image for larger version

Name:	021120134463.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	178815  

Old 02-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Looking good, and good repairs and changes you have made.

Some of the plastic PEX crimp fittings seem to crack with age. I have not seen cracking with any of the metal ones but they are pretty thin brass, so I suspect it is possible even with them. The old gray polly crimp fittings were damaged by high chlorine water as was the gray polly pipe, but have not seen anything that would indicate the new PEX plastic stuff has had that issue. However, both plastic and brass crimp are available for some reason.

The braided SS lines look good, but the rubber seals on the compression fitting attachment side don't hold up to much abuse or re use. The SS cover is just over a rubber interior line, so it gives good mechanical protection, but I am not clear how well they will hold up over time. Those comments are just random observations on plumbing stuff today, not directed at the job you have done which is very similar to what I would have done in the same situation you are in.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
P E X Good or Bad

If you believe the article below, what are we going to plumb with for the next generation????

PEX

The problems will not go away. Now the brass fittings are failing.

http://failures.wikispaces.com/PEX+Plumbing+Failures

Dave

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote