Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Every place you travel there is something to see if you just have time to stop. Once you are retired, there is no excuse. You will always have the time to appreciate some of the things that others have accomplished.

Dave

Avro Arrow - YouTube

Like Barry's Bay. Earlier, when we were courting, we spent some time in the area. Roy MacGregor wrote a delicious book, Life in the Bush, that brings one real close to the Algonquin Trail. It just takes time. Jim
Old 02-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #42
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
It sure is nice to sit at home on a quiet Friday evening and watch some of the DVR from our summer/fall trip.

http://goo.gl/maps/lKDkF

This segment is the new construction east of Golden, BC. It is a continuation of the video in post #30 above. Very good road but even this new road is falling into the 'KICKING HORSE CANYON'.

Date is Sat. Aug 17th, 2013. Nothing exiting but, if you plan on travelling this area, you may find it to be of interest.

Golden BC east on TCH - YouTube

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:54 PM   #43
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
This is the next segment to the above video travelling east on the TCH over this difficult to upgrade portion overlooking the Kicking Horse Canyon. (east of Golden BC ) http://goo.gl/maps/i3zgM

Both east and west approaches to this segment of the notorious highway have now been upgraded with only these few miles left to do.

Obey the signage and let the navigator take the pictures.

Canada's Trans Continental Highway. Scenic segment east of Golden, BC - YouTube

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 02-23-2014, 11:38 PM   #44
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Oct 1st was another nice day for a drive!
(When will winter be over so we can get going again?) We have 10" fresh snow today and some more to come in the morning.

This is a 2 min. segment crossing the bridge into Duluth, Minnesota.

Dave
Old 03-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #45
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Five Great Routes in Canada

Here is a link about "Five great travel routes in Canada" from the Edmonton paper today.

Five great Canadian roads you need to drive one day | Driving

They include West to East:

1) Highway 4 ----- Pacific Rim Highway links Parksville and Tofino, on Vancouver Island, BC. 100 miles to the open Pacific beaches.

2) Kicking Horse Trail --- Off the #1 near Golden BC. 7 miles up to the base of Kicking Horse Mountain and the Resort.

3) Bow Valley Parkway --- 25 miles of alternate scenic highway 1A located off #1 near Lake Louise, Alberta.

4) Frank MacDougall Parkway --- Highway #60, 113 mile route through Algonquin Park in Ontario.

5) Viking Trail ---- 257 mile route to the north end of Island of Newfoundland intersecting #1 west of Corner Brook and taking you to the original Viking settlements in the north.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been fortunate enough to have travelled 3 of these 5 routes numerous times, and agree they are enjoyable travel routes.

On our 2013 CLIPPER TOUR, I have DVR of the Algonquin Route (#4) for my entertainment forever, even if I am not able to actually travel there in the future.

Before this 2014 travel season is complete, I hope to have #1, #2 and #3 on DVR as these routes are already on our agenda to visit again this year.

The Newfoundland trip is not possible until probably 2016 or 2017 as we want to do the Yukon again in 2015. (Keep the dream alive????)

I am hoping to have a new/improved DVR for this season but have not found what I want yet?

Dave
Old 10-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #46
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I had a good day today.

I stopped at the discount store on the way home from weekly coffee with buddies, and picked up a SONY DSC-S40 camera with a 2GB card in it and a smaller spare card. The camera would not stay on when I tested it in the store, and they discounted it to move it out. Cost me $5.60 with the tax.

Came home and put new batteries in it, updated the settings, and it works like brand new. So now what do I need another camera for? I have more that I can ever use now, and Heather's good Cannon that she took all the pictures with as we travelled Canada and the US over the past years will seldom be used now by me.

Well, if I am going to travel alone, I need to be able to take photos and video as needed without driving off the road.

As explained in previous posts, I have the original ARC (Airstream Road Camera) activated by the brake light circuit. I have my older DVR now mounted on the passengers side upper windshield, and my new HD DVR mounted on my side of the windshield centre. (this new one eats up GB's but is very high quality)

But many times as we travelled, there would be something on either side that would make a great picture of video. Heather used to look after her side with her CANNON, but she had difficulty getting a clear shot of anything on my side.

So I installed this SONY today on the plexi protection panel I have that covers the rockers switches on my left control panel.

I can take photos, or video, with the window closed, but by sliding the panel back, I will be able to use it with the window open to get a quality image.

The camera is simple to turn on and use, so I don't see any problem being able to use it only when wanted.

Heather and I had planned another Yukon trip for 2015 and I am still hoping I can do that. It will be a long run alone, but maybe my daughter can get enough time off work to go one way with me at least.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141001_165652_edit.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	223339   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141001_165835.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	223340  

Old 10-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Dave,
Looking forward to your season 11 at " where is this". Nice to see all that stuff you have around in the Clipper to help with your travels. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-03-2014, 07:45 AM   #48
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Thanks Jim. I did not get away this year because of what happened, so all you other streamers will have to keep "where is this" going for this season. I would think November would be a good time to revive that thread.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Dave,
Looking forward to your season 11 at " where is this". Nice to see all that stuff you have around in the Clipper to help with your travels. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums