Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Clipper, Cutter, Land Yacht, Mirrors, Velvac

I will post this here for easy finding the next time I am require this.

The Airstream Motorhomes of the 90's were equipped with the 'VELVAC TURBO MIRROR'. This model is no longer available, so handle it with care.

https://secure.velvac.com/checkout/f...cat=250&page=3

Glass replacement only is available from Velvac, but any glass shop should be able to cut you a mirror if you are stuck and need replacement right away.

Velvac have other options if your mirror is damaged beyond repair.

"Can I obtain a copy of the Owner's Manual for my mirrors?
Yes, Owner's Manuals, installation and repair instructions are all available. Contact technical service at " technicalservice@velvac.com.

Untitled Document
http://www.velvac.com/pdf/mirrors.pdf
Velvac
http://www.velvac.com/pdf/RVGuide.pdf

Dave

Old 05-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
This page details all the VELVAC mirrors used on the Class A Airstream.

* Airstream

RV Manufacturer * AirstreamSub-CategoriesA-37
A-39
Cutter
Land Yacht
Land Yacht 360 XC Diesel
Land Yacht 390 XL Diesel
Skydeck
Products (Total Items: 5)
Airstream Land Yacht 1989-1998 Driver Side, 712445 - NLA
Airstream Land Yacht 1999-2007 Passenger Side, 7138020 Review(s)Your Price: $256.65
Airstream Cutter 2002 Driver Side, 713801(Your Price: $256.65
Airstream Land Yacht 360 Xc Diesel 2001-2003 Driver Side, 7147690 Review(s)Your Price: $767.76
Airstream A-37 or A-39 2006-2007 Passenger Side, 714772Your Price: $545.59

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Velvac Turbo Mirror 712445, Clipper, Airstream Land Yacht

It is my understanding that the guts of the Velvac Turbo are similar to the Velvac Superstar model that has a different exterior housing on it and was a bottom mount rather than a side mount mirror.

This means if you need the power unit, you may have some luck repairing, rather than replacing, that obsolete Velvac Turbo model mirror.

The Velvac Superstar model is also obsolete with only glass kits available from Velvac, but there were many more of them out there on the street than the Velvac Turbo mirror. Junk yards may be worth checking if you need parts.

Velvac RV Mirrors, Motorhome Mirrors

If you are going to work on a Velvac Turbo Mirror you will no longer find the PDF on line at the Velvac site. Their techservice dept. will still send you one but with their permission I will post the PDF here as this Turbo Mirror model was only used on Airstream Class A's.

Make a copy of it and keep it for reference with your unit.

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Velvac Turbo Mirror.pdf (899.8 KB, 54 views)
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 06-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
My interest this last month on the Velvac Turbo Mirror was a result of having to update my WiFi Hub. My old hub was acting up so had to replace it. The power wire was different so I had to relocate all the associated wiring and make a new holder for the Hub.

This meant removing the pillar cover on the passenger side.

While I had the pillar cover off I decided that I would try to correct a small annoyance with the location of the OEM mirror. I wanted to move it forward about 2" and lower it approx. 1" to try to minimize the blind spot on the right side.

The Velvac Turbo OEM installation on the right side was mounted on a steel backing plate with a 1 1/2" spacer to allow clearance for the windshield rubber and the side window frame. This made the location change a challenge.

I had to cutup and shape 2 pieces of alluminium and spacers before I could make it work but am happy with the end result. I took this opportunity to add some wiring for marker and signal lamp installation as the original Turbo did not have any lamps integrated within the mirror.

So the mirror is now where it should have been from OEM and I can go back to the original finish of the new WiFi Hub install.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	060120135023.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	187139   Click image for larger version

Name:	060120135020.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	187140  

Old 06-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
This just proves we have not been camping enough lately.

I was up on the ladder yesterday, working on the drivers side Velvac mirror, and disturbed a wasp nest that they had recently built behind the convex section.

Needless to say, it's always a long way to the ground if you don't count the ladder steps? (at my age I find it hard to remember how many steps high I am )

I used the remote to move the mirror up and in and went and got the hose and cleaned the problem out.

Later in the evening while I was finishing the original job, two or three buzzed back around looking for home but eventually gave up.

Dave