Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Clipper, Bicycles-n-Toads

This applies specifically to the Clipper, as other units without the raised rail chassis, or with a front mounted generator, will have problems with clearance and mounting.

Looks like 2012 will be a "DISCOVER YOU HOME TERRITORY" year for us.
After 36000 miles in 4 years, we look forward to a year playing in our own back yard.
There are so many beautiful places we have not visited on our Island, that we want to experience a few more of them before we entertain any more big tours.
We are committed to another ON and NY trek in late 2013, but 2012 will be a fun and family year.

To be able to take the Tracker, and the bikes, I have completed the installation of the front carrier for the Clipper.
I modified the carrier so that I can carry it on the rear, or front if we are pulling the Tracker.

This does not interfere with the forward vision, or ground clearance, as the Clipper and the Class A's on the raised rail chassis, have lots of height from ground to windshield. On those with the XC chassis (straight rail) there may be some problem (distraction) with this setup. And I believe it would be more difficult to do this on a unit with the front generator.

Hopefully we can get some more exercise and, at the same time, see more of the areas we visit.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11062011084.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	144699  
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Hitch Extension, Clipper, Land Yacht

Prior to our 2nd eastern trip in Aug. 2011, I determined that I would need a medium duty 36" draw-bar extension to do a single job upon our arrival to the family farm in Eastern Ontario. ( job was to move an 18' gate to the second property on my 10' trailer)
To keep this out of the "day-t-day" baggage compartment, I made up this holder for the front storage on the Clipper where I carry other seldom used items.
It worked great and with 3 mounting holes, it has become a valuable item for hauling the 3500# GVW trailer. Shorten it up for expen$ive ferry travel and lengthen it out for cross country.
When extended, it is a lot easier to back the trailer to a specific spot using the mirrors and back up camera on the distance setting.
I also carry the HD 9" standard hitch in this compartent so I can switch if there is a need.

Other towing info for the Clipper I have posted here. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tml#post912156

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bc to ontario aug 2011 002.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	147703   Click image for larger version

Name:	bc to ontario aug 2011 003.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	147704  

Old 03-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Having all this time at the home base has been great. I have accomplished/updated/improved a number of things on the Clipper this winter. (I don't know what people do when they go south for the winter and live on a 24' wide pad????)
The holder that I made up in the previous post worked out great, but I decided to upgrade it to hold my HD 24" extension along with the 36" as detailed above, or if one of these is being used, the mount for the bicycle rack can be stored here.
I just cut up another piece of pipe and made it longer to protect other equipment on the front bulkhead. This time I have the ball of the extension facing down and out of the way.

I can still access other equipment stored up front with ease.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Prior to our 2nd eastern trip in Aug. 2011, I determined that I would need a medium duty 36" draw-bar extension to do a single job upon our arrival to the family farm in Eastern Ontario. ( job was to move an 18' gate to the second property on my 10' trailer)
To keep this metal out of the "day-t-day" baggage compartment, I made up this holder for the front storage on the Clipper where I carry other seldom used items.
The extension worked great and with 3 mounting holes, and has become a valuable item for hauling the 3500# GVW trailer. Shorten it up for expen$ive ferry travel and lengthen it out for cross country.
When extended, it is a lot easier to back the trailer to a specific spot using the mirrors and back up camera on the distance setting.
I also carry the HD 9" standard hitch in this compartent so I can switch if there is a need.

Other towing info for the Clipper I have posted here. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tml#post912156

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	03032012844.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	152950   Click image for larger version

Name:	03032012847.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	152951  

Old 07-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Toad

I may have found the perfect TOAD!

Light, comfortable, seats 2, and great looking, cheap to operate, etc.

Persu - Management

This site you have to listen to a commercial first.
Jay Lenos Garage - Persu Mobility Three-Wheeler - Video - NBC.com

I think I can use a hitch extender on the Clipper and tow it with the front wheel lifted, so will not need a car dolly. This looks promising.
Dave
Old 08-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Having had the chance to do some traveling with the bicycles on the front mount, I realized we could not observe them from the normal sitting position in the Clipper. I was not comfortable with this, so have installed a couple high mount convex mirrors, that give me and MGW visual confirmation that everything is secure on the front mount.

Not a big project, but very worthwhile.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	072620122577.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	165924   Click image for larger version

Name:	072720122609.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	165925  

Name:	072720122606.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	165926   Click image for larger version

Name:	072720122607.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	165927  

Old 08-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Now that I have the convex mirror view of the bikes on the carrier, I can see some lateral movement at the top end of the carrier.

To control this with a bit more lateral support when transporting the two or three bikes, I have fabricated/installed stainless tube struts that connect to the tube step mounted above the hitch. These will have replaceable plastic bushings mounted in the step to eliminate any rattle.

The struts are secured to the carrier with a wingnut at the top, so that they can be quickly detached to allow the carriers to be tilted for access into the front bulkhead/storage area.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	082120123016.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	166432  
Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Sidekick

We have had our 4x4 Tracker over 20 years now, and I have been on the watch for something to replace this versatile vehicle. It is getting a bit "long on the tooth" and at that point where it needs some money spent to refurbish it if we want to keep it.

The 1990 GMC Tracker has been, by far, the most dependable and serviceable vehicle we have ever owned. It is cheap to operate, parts are readily available, and it is easy to work on in the back yard. It is built on a truck chassis and is classed as such for licensing. (it also rides like a truck ) It has great visibility, easy to get in and out of, can pack a good cargo, is a convertible for that good weather, and just an all round great second vehicle.

I have been looking at new and used 2WD and 4x4 that might serve us for the next 20 years as a toad and a runabout while at home. Jeep was near the top of the list as the newer Trackers -Sidekick are not built on the robust off road structure of the 1st generation Trackers. But the new Jeeps are way overpriced, and the used ones were generally beat up.

Over the last couple weeks, I got a lead on a nice 1995 Suzuki Sidekick, low mileage, well taken car of, with complete Towmaster tow package, being sold by a couple who have outlived their ability to own their motorhome.

This Sidekick, a BC, Victoria car, is in almost showroom condition and I am so pleased to have found one of the few remaining good 1st generation units.

I will test my new system first, but I am not sure I will use the Stowmaster system, as I have been very happy with my Blue Ox tow setup.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100820123613.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	169900   Click image for larger version

Name:	100820123703.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	169901  

Name:	100820123603.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	169902  
Old 11-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
As I had speculated in the above post, (about keeping the Blue OX tow bar) I sourced a conversion bar for the Roadmaster removable base plate assembly (that was already mounted on the SIDEKICK) so that I was able to use my BLUE OX "Aventa II" motorhome mounted towbar that I have been very pleased with over the years.

http://blueox.com/uploads/docs/bx7335.pdf

BLUE OX Bar shown below.

The conversion bar "Roadmaster Bracket to Blue Ox Tow Bar Adapter, part# 032, ( mounts onto the car assembly and adds approx. 10#) is for the most part removable, and allows the baseplate assembly to be removed during the off season so that the SIDEKICK's original appearance is not altered. ( see attached green Sidekick)

I have to say I am quite satisfied with the present system with the following comment.

The original Blue OX base plate for this application was a single piece assembly and, although it was mounted permanently, it was not physically in the way or visually a problem and was a solid, no rattle, assembly. (attached white Tracker)

The Towmaster attachments are removable, but have a limited amount of play, (rattle) because of the numerous attachment points required to accomplish the task.

I eliminated some of this potential rattle by cutting up some rubber washers to go under the adapter bar mounts. These probably should be replaced every year as they are not very thick and the little bit of movement will cause them to split over time.

Each base plate application will be different for each make and model of toad, so my above comments are applicable to my specific application.

Any play in the attachment was not noticeable on our recent 2013 Tour but I would think, over a number of years, that this may become a problem that might require some type of shim??

Always check the security of your system at every opportunity while on the road.

Dave

Over the last couple weeks, I got a lead on a nice 1995 Suzuki Sidekick, low mileage, well taken car of, with complete StowMaster Tow Bar Roadmaster Part #: 501 tow package, being sold by a couple who have outlived their ability to own their motorhome.
This Sidekick, a BC, Victoria car, is in almost showroom condition and I am so pleased to have found one of the few remaining good 1st generation units.
I will test my new system first, but I am not sure I will use the Stowmaster system, as I have been very happy with my Blue Ox tow setup.
Dave[/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	041720134604.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	199642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7483.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	199644  

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
Old 01-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
We have had a very mild winter here on the left coast and it is allowing me to do some things that would normally be left until later in the spring.

After our unfortunate incident in Eastern Ontario in Sept., and the necessary removal of all accessories from the front of the CLIPPER for repair, I decided I would upgrade some of the lower cap area for an updated customization and attempt to further maximize fuel conservation.

I have installed a new wider step bumper and, behind and below that, an Air Dam to attempt to create a smoother flow of air under the Clipper. Because of the extended front overhang and possibility of rubbing the corners of the Air Dam on ferry ramps or curbs, I used only a Air Dam of 52" that drops the center of the Clipper another 8" below the cap. The ALUMINIUM assembly should blend with the AIRSTREAM family linage, and I hope it looks as good on the road as it does in my yard.

I am happy with the completed assembly now and just have to finish design and installation or the lateral stabilizers for the bike carrier.

The original step bumper shown below.

and the new installation at the bottom.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	011920147252 Polished.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	203963   Click image for larger version

Name:	011920147251 Polished.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	203964  

Name:	011920147261.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	203965  
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 01-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #10
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I finished this project today with the lateral support for the bike carrier.

With the 4 large bike capacity of the carrier I found in the past it really needed the support. Any rattle when traveling empty should also be removed.

I just bent up some longer SS tubing and again the supports can be quickly removed from the upright to allow the carrier to fold down for access to the front storage bay area.

I'm happy. Can't wait on beach weather to arrive on the Salish Sea.

If I ever win the lottery, I will have a stainless bike carrier fabricated.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	012020147275 Lateral supports.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	204081   Click image for larger version

Name:	012020147280 Lateral support.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	204082  

Name:	012020147281 Lateral support.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	204083   Click image for larger version

Name:	012020147284 Lateral support.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	204084