Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #29
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Sure Power 1315-200

On my Clipper #1 and #2 battery banks I had replaced the isolator in early 2009 with a SURE POWER 1315-200 Separator. This allows charging both ways if one system exceeds 13.2 Volts from any charging source including solar.

In late 2011 this Separator occasionally would not activate when manually switched on from the cockpit through the Cole Hersee 24200BX solenoid.
I at first thought the 24200 solenoid was the problem and installed an audible alarm so that I would know power was transmitted from the cockpit foot switch.

When the delayed activation persisted, I realized that the problem was with the Separator itself.

I removed, inspected, and remounted the unit and ground with no improvement.

The Separator would usually connect over time (couple hours) if left connected to both battery banks so I lived with it as life's other tasks were more demanding.

Today I have installed a new 1315-200 Separator and the system works like it was originally designed to.

I have contacted Cooper (Sure Power) to see if they want this unit back for testing as they did have a recall on a later production run.

I will update as time passes.

Dave
NOTE: THE SOLAR WILL NOT PRODUCE IF YOU ARE CHARGING FROM THE ALTERNATOR AT THE SAME TIME AS THE CONTROLLER WILL SIGNAL THE BATTERIES ARE AT CAPACITY.
ALWAYS DOCUMENT UPGRADES SO THAT FUTURE SERVICE WILL BE POSSIBLE WITHOUT UNNECESSARY EXPLORATION COST.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #30
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I contacted Sure Power and they have refused my offer of exchanging the defective unit so that they can detect what may be the problem with the dual charge activation.
"The unit is not within the 1 year warranty range. You could contact the distributor that you originally purchased the unit from and see what they say, but again is was built in 2008. .
sorry.. "

I also would like to correct my previous post- " I have contacted Cooper (Sure Power) to see if they want this unit back for testing as they did have a recall on a later production run.

The 200 amp Battery separators were never a part of the recall at all! just in the designated date range of the 100 amp version as you have seen in the letter of 2011."

Just proves Sure Power did not go to the same school of business as FANTASTIC.

Dave

[QUOTE=masseyfarm;1249471]I have contacted Cooper (Sure Power) to see if they want this unit back for testing as they did have a recall on a later production run.
Dave

Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #31
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Sure Power Isolator 12023A

The AIRSTREAM CLIPPER was OEM equipped with a Sure Power 12012A ISOLATOR to charge and protect the OEM installed two battery banks from discharge.

I had, as explained in previous posts, a few years ago bypassed this ISOLATOR and installed Sure Power 1315-200 SEPARATORS to do the similar task after installing a third battery bank. At that time I did not remove the ISOLATOR, but just left it as insurance incase it was needed for some reason in the future.

Well --- the future is here.

On my stick house I have a small emergency solar system with good sun access, with a 7 amp controller, that I can tie the CLIPPER into when parked at home. Recently I acquired and installed an additional 160W solar panel to increase the solar capture in the short winter season days. This panel location has a much better sun access than the solar panels mounted flat on the roof of the CLIPPER parked in the shade of the trees. Now that the longer days and good weather has arrived I thought I might be able to use the original ISOLATOR on the CLIPPER as a type of controller for this new panel until I get a new 30 amp or larger controller.. (I have yet to purchase a larger solar controller as I am still doing research on the adjustable style I want. This solar panel is wired independent of the existing system)

One of my requirements was to be able to equalize batteries with a prolonged high voltage charge. My current shop charger will not do this so why not use the solar? (my old professional grade charger burnt up on my last equalizer attempt on a tractor battery that had been stored all winter and was at end of life.)

So I have wired a short #8 AWG harness/plug with 30 A fuses to the ISOLATOR and tied this to both #1 and #2 battery banks so that the 160W panel can feed both the twin GP31 start batteries, and the four TROJAN T105 CLIPPER house batteries.

With all the wiring in the battery bay, I chose to wire this harness to each side of the COMBINER SOLENOID which was located within 14" of the ISOLATOR.

The ISOLATOR does not allow back feed so this serves the same purpose as a charge controller would for this. (this 160W panel does have diodes installed OEM, but some of the low priced panels have no diodes and you must have a controller to restrict the back feed at night.)

My #3 battery bank can also be tied in manually or thru the 2nd Sure Power 1325-200 Separator installed at the front of the CLIPPER.

Dave

NOTE: THE SOLAR WILL NOT PRODUCE IF YOU ARE CHARGING FROM THE ALTERNATOR AT THE SAME TIME AS THE CONTROLLER WILL SIGNAL THE BATTERIES ARE AT CAPACITY.
ALWAYS DOCUMENT UPGRADES SO THAT FUTURE SERVICE WILL BE POSSIBLE WITHOUT UNNECESSARY EXPLORATION COST.
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #32
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Today I had a chance to monitor how the ISOLATOR handled the 160Watt solar panel. Everything worked as planned but it was not clear and sunny all day to be able to give it a real test.

I took advantage of the cloudy evening to pull my chassis batteries, test, top off the acid, clean all connections, and re-install with Dielectric grease on all connections. Everything looks good on the GP31 batteries dated summer of 2011. When I get a good clear day, I will equalize these with the new solar panel to test that theory. (I have a separate harness for each battery bank so that they can be solar charged separately if wanted.)

Below is a picture of the ISOLATOR wired to both sides of the house disconnect solenoid thru 30 AMP MAXI weather proof 8AWG fuse assemblies.

I had to leave enough slack in the assemble to be able to reach in and change the fuses if ever needed.

Just to clarify - this setup is only going to be used when parked with access to a remote solar panel, whether portable or fixed. It will have no application or will not need any attention while traveling.

Dave

NOTE: THE SOLAR WILL NOT PRODUCE IF YOU ARE CHARGING FROM THE ALTERNATOR AT THE SAME TIME, AS THE SOLAR CONTROLLER WILL RECEIVE THE SIGNAL THAT THE BATTERIES ARE AT CAPACITY.
ALWAYS DOCUMENT UPGRADES SO THAT FUTURE SERVICE WILL BE POSSIBLE WITHOUT UNNECESSARY EXPLORATION COST.[/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	040320134542.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	182440  
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 04-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #33
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
As mentioned in an earlier post, I had installed a three way switch in my chassis dedicated 40W Solar panel harness so that, while traveling on the road, I could direct the Solar production to the house batteries. I have also made changes to the other Solar runs so that they could be isolated to any single or combination of the 3 battery banks. As noted above and on other posts, if you have a charge controller in the line, once the alternator is producing, the charge controller will shut your Solar panel off as the controller receives the 'charged' signal.

This past year, for extended family reasons, my CLIPPER has spent a lot of time at home hooked up to shore power which defeats the purpose of the 'House' Solar Systems.

I have now again changed the OEM 2 X 53 Watt Solar panels so that I have an option of directing that production to the chassis batteries if on shore power. As posted previously, I can separate all three battery banks, and there is no real need for the Heart Inverter/Charger working to charge the other two battery banks if they are not being used.

In the winter months at my home base, I don't get much sun so I need to use all the Solar production so I can to try to recover some of my $ invested.

I also have now installed a new 3 way switch,( TOGGLE SWITCH HD #765034 50AMP) at the controller on this 2 x 53 Watt harness. This allows me to,
1: set in normal position,
2:shut the panel production down for any maintenance,
3: and the other side allows me to bypass the controller for maximum production in the off season. These panels are already equipped with diodes so no back feed will happen.

By bypassing the controller, I can get that last extra .5 to 1 volt of the system and also allows a little bit of equalizing on few those bright sunny days in the off season here on the west coast.

The toggle switch makes it easy rather than pulling the harness apart to accomplish the same task.

Dave