Old 08-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
CLIPPER 2015 Tour

The CLIPPER in on the road once again, this time, an ALL CANADIAN TOUR.

Departed Vancouver Island on Saturday, Aug. 8, with routing via the Fraser Canyon, Icefield Highway, Two O'Clock Creek and into Rocky Mountain House for the first extended layover with family visits on Monday 10th.

Continued across mid Alberta thrrough Consort, sightseeing across Saskatchewan, Compeer, Superb, Springwater, Saskatoon, and on to Manitoba, Swan River, Dauphin, Winnipeg and on into Northern Ontario.

Will get some photos and update as time is availabe.

The CLIPPER is once again, just a pleasure to travel in, and withstood some of the demanding conditions encountered mid-Saskatchewan without fail.

Dave

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:02 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
2015 CLIPPER Tour is still in progress, with some maintenance catch up while here in the Ottawa Valley.

Broke a rear air suspension height control arm, which resulted in a tail drag on a difficult stretch of new construction road, pulling the CLIPPER muffler and breaking the rear mount for same. Wire coat hangers saved the day and got us into Antrim Truck Center for parts. Hanger was not available, but I had the team at Antrim, modify another hanger that I installed while parked at our acreage here.

Also pulled the muffler off the genset, and that required some additional attention.

Hangers, suspension, and misc. parts total less than $300 and we are back enjoying the company of old family and friends here in the Valley.

We have decided to extend this TOUR to at least 60 days or more, and will probably be returning via Algonquin and the Crowsnest to the Left Coast for some time in late October.

Dave and Bev

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 08-30-2015, 09:13 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Very jealous, look forward to a time in my life when I can say "going to extend my vacation 60 days" and have no repercussions.

Is the Clipper a 4 season vehicle? By that I mean is the basement sealed and heated? My Sky Deck is the first RV I have had that has double paned glass and a heated basement. Looking forward to trying to snow camp this winter. Probably gonna break some plumbing, but my other RV has the shower p-trap in the wind, so it will freeze in above freezing temps. This is quite the step up.

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Yes, freedom is SWEET!

The CLIPPER is a 4 season unit now with all my upgrades I have worked on over the years. The 10 or less CLIPPER creations, were 'Airstream Specials' for the 65th year, and had everything available at that time on them. Have 2 X 35000 BTU furnaces, but no thermopane windows. I have used plexi inserts to give a limited double 'pain' effect!

The only weak spot now is the drain for the bath, which is exposed in the upper part of the wheelwell, with no room to insulate. A little RV antifreeze in that p-trap solves that problem during winter use.

Some info here.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313/clipper-street-water-service-check-valve-94582.html#post1260320

Wish you all success in restoring that SKYDECK. They are worth keeping around.

Dave
Old 08-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
So no furnace to the basement? Or was that electric heater additional?

Also, you mention there is a switch on the clipper that turns off all basement lights? Where is that? Perhaps the XLs have it too... Though I am pretty sure I have found what every switch in this RV powers at this point.

-Randy
Old 08-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Either furnace heats main basement also. The small 12V heater is for the service bay behind the axle. I think your LPG is there? That compartment only gets engine heat. So when parked it needs the heater for protection.

The basement lamps are controlled from the cockpit with the rocker switches there. Most everything is controlled from the drivers position.

This site is so slow with all the adds, I can't load pictures, but it you go to 'Clipper interior updates' you should get photos there.

Dave
Old 08-31-2015, 09:16 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Thanks for the info, I did go thru your mentioned thread, but the dash is REALLY different between the Clipper and the XLs.

I think the water in the XL is all inside that insulated basement so if the heat is running (I currently don't seem to have the furnace wired up, so best get on that, winter's coming) I don't need to worry about winterizing. Well, hopefully. Actually never got below freezing last winter, but El Niņo may have bigger plans.

-Randy
Old 09-13-2015, 08:56 AM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Did not see much wildlife on our travels east, as it was hot and dry. Just before dusk, Aug 24, we had this short flash of entertainment.

#11, about 10 minutes east of Nipigon, Ontario.

1:25 on the 3 minute video.

https://youtu.be/cyuH0X5fh1U?t=86

Dave
Old 09-13-2015, 05:35 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Happy for you, Dave. Glad you got the Clipper back on the road. Beautiful scenery up there.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
We have completed the 2015 Tour and IT WAS A BLAST!

I will try to post some photos as time goes by.

Life is 'GREAT' once again.

Our midday stop at Osoyoos, BC, October 5th.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BEV IMG_20151005_123715.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	250175  
Old 10-18-2015, 11:57 AM   #11
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Another great day for a drive.

This is the "CROWSNEST" on October 4th. We had laid over in Lethbridge and enjoyed an extra day of relaxation, waiting out the heavy winds and threat of snow in the foothills. The stayover with great food and dance, was a refreshing break from the road, and we were rewarded with the return of fantastic weather for the remainder of our 2015 CLIPPER TOUR.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	250577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	250578  

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	250579   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	250580