Old 06-20-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Chassis Battery Jumpstart

So I don't know what I did to drain the chassis battery over the weekend on my '00 XC Diesel...but it's dead. It's odd because I know there's a 5w solar charger just for the chassis batteries but I can only infer someone left something plugged into a 12v outlet. I have a battery jumper for my '06 Hummer H2, but where I have my MoHo parked isn't accessible.

I have a battery jumper for my hummer and boat but it wasn't strong enough to get the dual deep cycle batteries on the moho going. My question is...on my friends SOB DP the batteries are in the rear compartment like mine, but up in his front compartment by his genset, there are additional terminal leads for jumping. I haven't looked at mine in detail yet, but I was wondering if anyone else knows if there's something like that on the '00 XC Diesels? My chassis batteries are fine as I have a 1200w solar array on the roof, but even they were JUST barely as I left a switch on the inverter in the wrong position. I have my house set up where I can leave it plugged into 30amp permanently, but for some reason when I use the start chassis off coach switch it just isn't enough (but I'm going to try it again later today as they should be closer to a full charge compared to two days ago)

If anyone can can help that'd be great! Otherwise I'm just going to have to buy a couple sets of jumpers and link them together to get the ~50 feet or so I need to go from my toad to moho.

LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
You will never be able to start an engine off the converter, it's a lot of power but nothing compared to what the batteries can muster. Especially when the dead batteries are taking all the output the converter can muster. Sorry about your troubles, but you should be able to go after just a few hours of the converter charging your setup. I have definitely been there, I was doing my battery maintenance this week and unhooked the solar panels so they would not power the vehicle while the batteries were unhooked, but I never hooked them back in and came out to dead batteries for the first time since I bought them new. I had promised myself I would not do that to these new ones and less than 6 months later I am already screwing them up again...

2007 LTV Serenity beater 2005 Airstream SkyDeck
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote