Old 01-18-2015, 06:16 PM   #1

1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Madison , Alabama
Ceramic and slide issues...

I have a 1999 Airstream Cutter with a single slide. The flooring is carpet and ceramic. The ceramic is in the galley. Can someone explain how these slides work? On the couch (carpeted) side of the slide I can see the “fixed” rollers mounted on the subfloor. Would this be the same as the galley side?

The floor in the galley is a little high (for some reason) and when I let the slide it is binding (on something) pretty bad. I’m in the process of removing the ceramic (several pieces cracked) to check the subfloor…not sure how I’ll remove the tile close to the cabinets.

Anyway, any advice is certainly appreciated.

Steve

Old 01-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
The first question would be. Is the ceramic original equipment?
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarChasers View Post
I have a 1999 Airstream Cutter with a single slide. The flooring is carpet and ceramic. The ceramic is in the galley. Can someone explain how these slides work? On the couch (carpeted) side of the slide I can see the “fixed” rollers mounted on the subfloor. Would this be the same as the galley side?

The floor in the galley is a little high (for some reason) and when I let the slide it is binding (on something) pretty bad. I’m in the process of removing the ceramic (several pieces cracked) to check the subfloor…not sure how I’ll remove the tile close to the cabinets.

Anyway, any advice is certainly appreciated.

Steve

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #3

Madison , Alabama
Hi Dave,

I have read many of your post and enjoyed learning from your experience and knowledge!

Yes, the ceramic is OEM installed....man is it a pain to remove.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I have never even been around a unit with a slide so I have no further input for you. Let us know what you find.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarChasers View Post
Hi Dave,

I have read many of your post and enjoyed learning from your experience and knowledge!

Yes, the ceramic is OEM installed....man is it a pain to remove.

Thanks,
Steve
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #5
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
The floor mounted roller will be the same on each side. The "other" design has the roller inverted and mounted to the slide base.

Here is a thread about a trailer adjustment which has basically the same design:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f252...sic-47113.html
Old 01-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #6

Madison , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
The floor mounted roller will be the same on each side. The "other" design has the roller inverted and mounted to the slide base.

Here is a thread about a trailer adjustment which has basically the same design:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f252...sic-47113.html

Thanks much for the info and thread link!

When I let the slide out (hydraulic) it seems to "catch" on something...making a popping sound when it turns loose...not sure yet but will continue to investigate. Of course I have left the slide out until I can determine the cause. I found your thread you attached very informative...I will be investigating this as well. I was finally able to pull the seal (outside) down enough to get a pretty good glimpse of the rollers...I didn't see any issue or obstruction.

Thanks again!

Steve
Old 02-03-2015, 12:47 AM   #7
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Loud popping noise - more like a loud bang as the slide "broke free" on mine was actually the top corner of the slide tucking under the top corner of the body opening a the ram pushed the bottom out.

Adjusted the slide 1/8" lower and no more noise

Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote