Old 09-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegardner View Post
we are taking a pet and using using pet care services
Can you tell us more about the pet care services? (My family utilized them in the mid '80s, but I have no real recollection how it worked).

Thanks!

Ben and Lynn (taking two small girls and two small beagles to FW/WDW in two years!!)

Old 09-08-2015, 01:21 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
Sounds great! Now where can I get discount park hopper tickets?! Oh, what are the stipulations on bringing your own golf cart?

Old 09-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
We stayed at Fort Wilderness in October 2013. Many sites decorated for Halloween. We've been to Disneyworld a lot since 1996, when my daughter was 5, staying on property at the value resorts primarily. My wife's sister and husband bought into the Disney time share and we've stayed at a couple of the upper tier resorts with them. I enjoyed staying in our own Airstream better than the resort properties. Having said that I'm burned out on Disney but the wife, daughter and sister/brother-in-law are Disneyholics. At least my wife has someone to go to Disneyworld with still.

Kelvin
Old 09-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Access Disney's website or call them to find out when you can get discounts on park tickets, meal plans, lodging, or even 6 months interest free financing for you vacation.
I've been 10 times.
I'm ready for #11.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #19
Coast to Coast

2016 26' Flying Cloud
St. Augustine , Florida
We stayed this past April and loved it. Well worth the price. The campsites were large, private, and very clean! (they actually scrub and power wash them after you leave). We also stayed in one of the loops closest to the dock with full hookups. There are two boats/routes - one directly to Magic Kingdom and the other to the Transportation Center (monorail)- from there you can go directly to Epcot. It took about 20 mins to get to MK and 45 mins to an hour to get to Epcot. Fort Wilderness also has a bus system that can take you to the different parks. We drove over to Animal Kingdom - and parking is free since you're already a guest.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:20 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Our favorite campground and a great way to do Disney parks. We just returned from a 5 night trip there, I have been camping there since the mid 80's. We live in North Florida and when my kids were young they loved it, now they are grown and we still love it.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
I'm excited at the prospect of staying in my own trailer, making my own breakfast (I love restaurants, don't get me wrong, but I usually feel pretty rough by week's end if I eat too much commercial food) but still being able to book ADRs and fastpass+ at the earlier onsite booking windows
Old 09-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
There is a large Airstream rally there most every year. It is on my bucket list to attend. Retired Military so can get some pretty good package discounts thru the local Recreation office at the base. I drove thru the Wilderness camp area last trip down. A bit expensive but very impressive place.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:56 PM   #23

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
Can you tell us more about the pet care services? (My family utilized them in the mid '80s, but I have no real recollection how it worked).

Thanks!

Ben and Lynn (taking two small girls and two small beagles to FW/WDW in two years!!)

Doggie day care is down the road and not on the bus stops so you need to take your own vehicle to drop off and pick up pets. Kind of a pia. Clean. The girls behind the desk were a bit snotty (all 4 days) but the folks handling the dogs were great!

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
Old 09-08-2015, 06:36 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Deland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
There is a large Airstream rally there most every year. It is on my bucket list to attend. Retired Military so can get some pretty good package discounts thru the local Recreation office at the base. I drove thru the Wilderness camp area last trip down. A bit expensive but very impressive place.
Do you know when the rally is or where I can find info about it? We go there all the time and would love to join a rally.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #25
S/OS #005

2004 28' Safari S/O
Georgetown , Ontario
My husband & i stayed at fort wilderness late nov last year & loved it. Have dog & cat so got a site in appropriate area. The buses run regularly so we did not have to use our vehicle which saved trying to park. Would do it again for sure. Large sites were very clean & spacious. Many people had decorated their trailers for christmas & it was beautiful. Don't miss it.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:12 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Deland , Florida
We love this campground. Just got back from Labor day trip.

The pet care place is called Best Friends pet care. We have boarded our dogs there a couple of times. It's expensive but everything at Disney is. The building is just around the corner from the campground.
Be prepared to spend lots of cash but everything is top notch. Bathrooms have nice showers. Everything is kept very clean.

Disney's transportation system will get you anywhere you want to go including Downtown Disney.
We usually rent a golf cart. Do this when you make reservations for the camp site. The park is huge! Bikes will work also.
You must make reservations for everything. December is busy but the decorations are amazing. Most campers decorate their sites and their golf carts.
There is no problem bringing your own golf cart.
Make time to visit the the hotels. They are all decorated for Christmas. The boats will take you to the Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary. The monorail will take you to the Grand Floridian which is amazing at Christmas time.
If you go down to the beach, you can see the fireworks from the Magic kingdom and Disney pipes in the music to go along with the show. They also have an electric light show that comes by on the water every night. December is a great time to go. The weather is perfect.
The breakfast buffet at the restaurant in the campground has anything you could want including mickey waffles.
It might be tough to get reservations this close but keep trying. Restaurant reservations are a must also. Make sure your get the my Disney experience app to make things easier.
We are going back for Thanksgiving week but had to make reservations 6 months ago.
We rarely go into the Magic Kingdom but find plenty to do in the campground. If you have kids they will love the park of course. In my opinion Universal Studios is a better park for roller coasters but they don't have a campground. The Magic Kingdom is getting dated.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:20 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond , Indiana
Disney fort wilderness campground

I have stayed in Fort Wilderness Campground 5 times. The campground is beautiful and laid out in cul de sacs and also mostly private. The facilities are very nice. It has several restaurants, a show, a nice beach, "free transportation" to any other Disney theme park and most of the hotels. There is a nightly "Electric Light Show" that they tow, via the lake, in front of the campground beach. They have a nightly campfire program, designed for children. They have a nightly movie, two pools, free boat to Magic Kingdom, several places to buy supplies and food.
I could actually go there and not even go to any of the "kingdoms". You can watch the fireworks show, from Magic Kingdom, from the beach at the campground without all the crowds at Magic Kingdom.
Even the laundry is very nice.

Vaughn
Old 09-08-2015, 08:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by printman View Post
Do you know when the rally is or where I can find info about it? We go there all the time and would love to join a rally.
Keep an eye on the rally Calendar here, it will pop up when the next one is scheduled.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote