Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
Campground 30A Blowing?!

When we first connected to the campground 30A circuit, we could run both a/c, convection/microwave. then after cooking a prime rib in the convection oven, the 30a popped. since then, it's gotten progressively worse - now we can only run 1 a/c alone for about 10-15 min. if we run the convection by itself, it'll run for a little while. the campground replaced the 30A breaker with no better results. the only thing I've noticed so far is that the plug for my 50a cable gets pretty hot, the rest of the cable is cool as a cucumber. any ideas?
JourneytoRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I would start with the 50a cable end, any corrosion or evidence of burning?
Same would apply to the campground supply box.

Bob
Old 05-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Will your cord reach over to a box on an adjacent site to see if it blows? If not, how much trouble is it to move to another site? It may help to see where the problem is.
Joe
Old 05-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
Will your cord reach over to a box on an adjacent site to see if it blows? If not, how much trouble is it to move to another site? It may help to see where the problem is.
Joe

Da, Bob...now that's an even better place to start....

Bob
Old 05-20-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
are you trying to draw 50 amps through a 30 amp outlet?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Gaffney , South Carolina
i'm not trying to draw 50a, the only way I know to verify that is to put a clamp on ammeter. but the original mystery is why I could run both a/c and microwave/convection and now I can even run either 2 a/c or an a/c and microwave/convection. i'm guessing what i'll try is to replace the hot 50a plug in case it's drawing current and turning it into heat?
Old 05-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneytoRet View Post
... the only thing I've noticed so far is that the plug for my 50a cable gets pretty hot, the rest of the cable is cool as a cucumber. any ideas?
Wherever there is a junction, there will be some resistance that translates to heat. More resistance = more heat. Look at your plug for signs of corrosion or pitting. They probably replaced the breaker assuming it had become weak, but the problem may reside in the outlet itself (loose connections/corroded or pitted contact surfaces). As previously suggested, moving to a different outlet may reveal if the problem is theirs or yours. Running 1 A/C plus fridge and converter should not be tripping a 30a breaker.

It is good practice to switch off the post breaker before attaching or removing the plug. This prevents arcing and pitting of the plug and socket. This is frequently not done and while your plug may be pristine, the socket may have suffered years of abuse and is junk.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Gaffney , South Carolina
I think I finally stumbled on the problem. The engine block heater was on. So far, with this off I can run both a/c, water heater, 2 tv, oven! Is there a fuse/breaker I can pull so "we" don't flip this switch again?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Are you not concerned that you might need that block heater in Florida?

Your breaker box should show each breaker's description. Chances are, the engine heater is not on its own circuit. Do you not have an indicator light on the switch when it is on? If not, might be worthwhile updating to one.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote