Old 06-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #1

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
Breakdown on the way to San Diego...

Small part of the accelerator linkage broke while on highway 15 in Corona, California. Luckily, I was in the slow lane and luckily, there was a shoulder to pull over to. These big rig tow truck drivers sure work hard! Staying a local hotel nice enough to let it be parked here until the mobile diesel mechanic can pick up the parts tomorrow morning and repair it. It looks like an important $10 part. My Good Sam Platinum Roadside Service Plan policy just paid for itself. I just bought the plan 7 days ago! Glad my dear wife and 5 year old girl are so patient

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2803733976.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	514.9 KB
ID:	162000

Old 06-29-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Hope things work out. Where you headed to in San Diego? I'll wave if I see ya.

RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Nice of the hotel to let you park there. Sometimes you meet the nicest people when you break down on the road. Hope the rest of your trip is uneventful!

Chris
Old 06-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #4

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
We'll be staying at the Chula Vista RV Resort through July 4. Checking out all the San Diego activities a 5 year old will love. She spends a lot of her free time drawing sharks, whales, eels and other fish, and is already determined to be a marine biologist.

Also fortunate to have broken here in Corona, where there's lots of rv and diesel shops. Thanks for the well wishes.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:19 AM   #5

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
We made it home yesterday after spending 3 days at the West Sacramento KOA, visiting family & friends in the central valley heat. That KOA leaves a little to be desired. We also stayed at the Bakersfield RV Resort which was VERY nice and the Santa Nella RV Park, which was perfect for the price paid. The total damage was $250 to have a little piece of linkage welded back together. Just a piece of linkage at the end of the accelerator cable that does a lot of moving around as the accelerator pedal is depressed. I'll have my diesel mechanic check it out next oil change to see if it'll hold. We also appreciate the Corona Spring Hill Suites for allowing our Cutter to be towed and deposited there... as well as for allowing the mobile tech to work his wonders in the parking lot. The Cutter is always one step ahead of me with all the 16-year old brittle plastic gizmos falling apart. As fast as I can replace them, more fail. So far this year, I've replaced the Fantastic Fan (a new one that works is SO NICE), all the interior plastic parts of the Winegard antenna mechanism, the black and grey tank valves, outside shower and water inlet, the amber marker lights (with new LED units) as well as a ton of rubber washers wherever a leak springs up. Now I've got a drawer filled with new plastic mirror tabs, door catches, etc. so I can replace them as they fall apart on the road. Our rear A/C blower motor died at the West Sac KOA. Could have been the power surges in the heat or the fact that it's from 1996. That one will have to wait as I still have a front A/C and last months rear brake job took up the lion's share of the repair budget for this year. Thanks to RUMSHIP for his hospitality in San Diego. We had a great time there and hope to return soon.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Sounds like a good trip even with all the trouble. We try to avoid KOA. As most are not that nice. There are exceptions and there is a really nice one on a river south of Jackson hole.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman
Sounds like a good trip even with all the trouble. We try to avoid KOA. As most are not that nice. There are exceptions and there is a really nice one on a river south of Jackson hole.
I can second the one south of Jackson Hole, actually camped there now. Nice folks and good spots.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #8

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
Ah yes. We've heard it called "Keep On Adding" from people all over. We've got a real good KOA here in Petaluma and we heard lots of good things about the one in Chula Vista as well. Unfortunately, there's not many options in the Sacramento CA area. There's Folsom Lake State Campground for $55, no hookups, camping in the dirt, loud people. There's Placer County Fairgrounds, basically a parking lot with no reservations (near Sac County.... but not that near). The Cal Expo Fairgrounds seemed like the best option, but they close the RV section when there's a big function (like the upcoming California Stare Fair) to house the workers. I think that because there's basically no competition, the West Sacramento KOA has little incentive to improve. Because there are no other viable options, this KOA is almost constantly fully booked. The hookups were the worst we've ever seen. The water hookups are in your neighbors site, near their curbside entry. Then the electricity is on a shared pedestal, so we had to run the power cord under our rig and under our patio mat to plug in near our curbside entry. Flies everywhere, power surges, no security (in a high-crime area) and the sites are microscopic. Our neighbors rig was partially disabled by the power surges. He had one of those surge protectors sold at Camping World for $300, so he thought that the surge protector was the damaged part of the system. Oh well....
Old 07-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Louisville , Kentucky
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
OK. Will mark that one down as the definite place to avoid when I get to Sacremento/Carmichale area next year. My niece may not appreciate my camping in her yard. One would think that KOA would twist an arm to raise the bar on the standard there. Other KOAs yield to pressure from above. Maybe the organization out west suffers a bit. We stayed at a great KOA in Flagstaff. It is worthy of the designation "destination" campground.

OK. I'm through hijacking this thread.
bnsonger47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #10

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
Glad to know about the good KOA's. The one just a mile up the road from us in Petaluma is very nice too. A bit pricey.... but it's nice and I've gone there many times before we moved here.

Byron, I am really not to sure how the West Sacramento KOA is rated so high on rvpark reviews.... perhaps we missed something. 2 other campers there that I talked to experienced electrical problems (which could have been the fault of Pacific Gas & Electric and not KOA's fault). I'll be at the Jackson Rancheria KOA for the fall rally in October. I'll let you know how it is. It's ranked as high as possible by Woodall's, etc. About an hour from Sacramento. Nice rig by the way. Hope you get to enjoy it often!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Louisville , Kentucky
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
Basically, I don't trust rating systems much. I like descriptive information.

We've only stayed in one KOA we didn't care for since 2007 - Sheridan, WY. We had electric, water, and stopped-up sewer. Found out about the sewer when dumping before leaving.

The XC was garaged it's first 12 years of life. No it lives out in the elements. Since getting it in May we have put on 4500 miles at 10.3 mpg and 38 days of occupation. The only dislike is the cooktop in the corner - a waste of space. Headliner up front has turned loose from the ceiling.

bnsonger47 is offline   Reply With Quote