Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
Black Water Tank plugged?

Well, the CP tells me the black water tank seems plugged. She pulls the handle and nothing comes out. So, I have some work to do when I get to the RV. Any words of wisdom from anyone out there before I start on this fun job?
JourneytoRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
2 likely scenarios, either the handle has disconnected from the valve, or there's a nasty blockage.

In the second scenario, the least-icky solution might be to use one of the water-driven flush systems that attach to the dump port, like a Flush King or a Sewer Solution.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You could have the "brown mountain" clogging everything, or your black valve could have actually broken loose from the flange. If it is the latter be prepared to kiss Barnacle Bill! (or at least send him some private thanks and GOOD Karma)

He did a great description on how to replace a black valve (without ending up knee deep in doodoo)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f312...ent-84634.html

If you have the brown mountain - before you try blasting it loose, try melting it with Rid-X or any other enzyme related crap eating bacterial solution. Pour in double or triple or quadruple the recommended amount and leave it for several days, then try draining. Even if it's only trickling, drain and refill with warm water and another enzyme treatment. (Refill by dumping buckets of warm water down the toilet - it'll help stir up what's left in the tank.) With a trailer rather than a moho, you can agitate the black tank contents by taking it out on local streets - or even by hooking up and rocking your tow vehicle fore and aft for say 10 minutes. With a moho, I'd just raise and lower the leveling jacks to create a rocking motion.

I have a Sewer Solution and it will work rather well on a glob of T.P. but I wouldn't bet you'll get much traction with a serious buildup. There are plastic rinsing wands you can stick down the toilet - but again they are designed for regular maintenance, not a major buildup. However IF you are making progress and the tank is draining slowly, this could encourage progress. I'd be wearing a face shield if I were looking down and spraying.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
Thanks Foiled Again! JourneytoRet let me know what you find and if you need any further help.
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
I guess the solution was simpler (thank God!). just stuck my kids stick down the commode and break up the pile of toilet paper (pee more kids!) and voila! the stuff runs out. did buy some tissue stuff from camping world to dump down the commode once a week just to make sure. whew!
JourneytoRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
I know this sounds really gross, but if you don't put it in your mouth, don't put it down the toilet.

My Dad got a shower once from a clog in his old Winnebago. After that we were forbidden to put paper in the toilet. We use a small wicker waste basket lined with Wal-Mart/Kroger/Kmart plastic shopping bags. Place the paper in it, tie off and dispose of each time. (Dad says it helps to prevent septic tank backups, and does the same for black water tanks!)

"A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs." Proverbs 12:10
daymonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Don't tell the Austin Weirdos about the plastic bag trick...they already outlawed them there! Now folks will have to BUY plastic bags to line their TP baskets!

Remember,,, a royal flush beats a full house!

More water and enzyme treatment may Be in order....to prime the system.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We had this issue after sitting 8 days at our son's house in NY on our recent trip. We decided to travel for the day and deal with it that evening when we stopped. Lo and behold, when we attempted to dump the tank, no clog. Agitation really did do the trick for us. I'm not happy with our holding tank treatment, but that's a different thread!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Don't tell the Austin Weirdos about the plastic bag trick...they already outlawed them there! Now folks will have to BUY plastic bags to line their TP baskets!

They are trying to do that here too. I already use them to pick up after the dogs. I just hate to throw anything away. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.

I think they make small liners for waste bins.

"A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs." Proverbs 12:10
Old 07-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I would be interested to know just what you do to reuse that dog $%^!

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by daymonjones View Post
I already use them to pick up after the dogs. I just hate to throw anything away. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
I would be interested to know just what you do to reuse that dog $%^!

Dave
LOL! I meant the plastic bags.

I would be curious, I have plenty to recycle, working in dog rescue!

Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Well rotted manure is the basis of a beautiful compost pile. Mix in plenty of leaves and let the earthworms do their thing. Turn over seasonally - in a year you have rich black loam. (Impractical unless you have a permanent home base.)

Paula
Old 07-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
As others already said, just get enough liquids in there - it's easy not to put enough water in when flushing - and it'll be fine. The chemical stuff might help, but I think it's mostly for odor; what really does the job is water. No need to bag your TP.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Well rotted manure is the basis of a beautiful compost pile. Mix in plenty of leaves and let the earthworms do their thing. Turn over seasonally - in a year you have rich black loam. (Impractical unless you have a permanent home base.)

Paula
Great suggestion! I don't garden, but improving the rock pile we call dirt here in Arkansas can't hurt.