Old 06-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 39' A-Series
Prescott , Arizona
Basement latch broken

The latch to one of the basement doors on my 2000 390XL has broken. The handle moves, but the latch does not release. (It is not locked, so the latch handle does move.) I'm not certain how to repair this since the door must be open to access the latch ... but I cannot open the door. And I cannot remove the latch with the door closed! Andy ideas? Do you know of any other manufacturer that uses the same latches? I might need to drill it out from the bottom, but this does not look like an attractive option.
I'm on an extended trip to Alaska and would like to get into this compartment. Fortuntely, it's not the water or power compartment.
Thanks.
Jeff

Old 06-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Jeff:
A picture is always good to show what type latch you have.
On the Clipper there is a central handle and side latches that are connected with cable. Somtimes the cable will stretch, or if someone tries to open it when its locked, the cable grab will slip.
I can jimmy it with two small screw drivers, by pulling the latch back with one while I hold it with the other to get another bite on it. Look closely at your other latches to see what you can do.
Hope this helps.
Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitwer View Post
The latch to one of the basement doors on my 2000 390XL has broken. The handle moves, but the latch does not release. (It is not locked, so the latch handle does move.) I'm not certain how to repair this since the door must be open to access the latch ... but I cannot open the door. And I cannot remove the latch with the door closed! Andy ideas? Do you know of any other manufacturer that uses the same latches? I might need to drill it out from the bottom, but this does not look like an attractive option.
I'm on an extended trip to Alaska and would like to get into this compartment. Fortuntely, it's not the water or power compartment.
Thanks.
Jeff

Old 06-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
If the design is the same as our 2005 LY, try this. Push in on the door hard while you pull the latch up. You might have to pull the latch up & down several times before it (finally) releases. When we first brought our LY home, we thought all the outside doors were locked. Turned out they all needed the above "treatment" followed by spray. Hope your fix is this easy.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Unclear writing...I meant to say pull up on the handle. Move it up & down. Again, hope it's an easy fix.