Old 11-20-2015, 07:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Anyone do your own motorhome service work?

I've been doing all my own service work for years (oil, filters, lubrication, etc.) and have gathered up all the filters, and oil for the annual service work on the motorhome. Wondering if anyone else does their own work, and can give me some pointers on things to watch out for. I have bought a 24qt oil pan (ours holds 19qts.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I don't have your CAT engine, so my experience may be different.

I have previously suggested it probably is easier to have the professional shop do this, especially if you are on the road.

But, if you are home based, the oil and fuel service can be done without gaining top of engine access on my Cummins. Only the water filter requires top engine access.

The fuel filter must be filled with fuel before installation to avoid an air lock.

Although not absolutely necessary, I also fill the oil filter before installation.

Now here is the catch. In order to put oil in the engine without top access and making a mess inside the motorhome, use a pump to transfer the oil into the dipstick tube. My Cummins takes 20 Liters.

Dave

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Yes, I've asked the question before, but very little response, and I think you were the one to respond to the other thread.

I would not consider doing this on the road, and I am at home except in the summers.

This morning I drained the oil, changed the filter (filled the new one with oil, about 2 quarts), and refilled the engine with a total of 19 quarts (per Freightliner). This one has a filler tube, but it does require a second person to hold the rather long funnel that is required. This was only slightly more difficult than doing the job on my last Cummins equipped pickup, and mostly because of the volume of oil and the size of the filter.

I always put the used oil back into the oil containers and take it to recycling.

Also changed the water separator fuel filter, but can't get to the final fuel filter and the air filter from below. It appears there is an air bleed screw on the top of the final fuel filter housing, so I think that in conjunction with the electric fuel pump, it should work OK. However, I would love to hear from others that have done this service.

Since I bought this thing used recently, and have only records of WHEN service was done, and nothing about WHAT was done, I'm trying to get to square one, if you will.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
I would love to do at least some of my own service or at least know what needs to be done but u gave mine only 3 months and had the service done by Freightliner. It's a pain to deal with Freightliner service as most don't deal with motorhomes.
I don't have the books so I really don't know what needs to be done.
I gone do one of the Freightliner classes in June next year to get a better idea what it takes.
Peter
Old 11-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Got it all done today short of the air filter. The filter I bought is the wrong size, and got that number off this forum; probably for an earlier model.

The only thing that's sort of a challenge is the second, or main fuel filter. I had to get down into the engine compartment to get access to it, and then it was tight. By the lack of wrench marks on the air bleed, it had never been changed.

Also who ever changed the oil last put too much oil in the engine; probably put 26qts in it which is correct for the earlier engine I've learned, but mine only takes 19qts.

Took it for a spin around the neighborhood after the servicing, and it runs MUCH better. Too much oil probably makes the crankshaft slap the surface of the oil in the sump.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Not to mislead you, my error. The CLIPPER also has that extendable fill tube at the rear for adding oil.
Problem with it, is I have to remove the gas struts from the rear grill, prop the grill up and then, like you, have 5 arms to pour the jugs of oil into a secured long funnel. All this while standing on a 3 leg stool? It gets messy every time. I bought a pump. No mess now.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yes, I've asked the question before, but very little response, and I think you were the one to respond to the other thread.

I would not consider doing this on the road, and I am at home except in the summers.

This one has a filler tube, but it does require a second person to hold the rather long funnel that is required. .

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
The cat engines I have owned had a primer pump on the fuel filter, break a line or open a valve and go to pumping the primer pump filling an empty filter to avoid
Fuel contamination, may miss bait until it takes care of any air....
Old 11-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I learned from a friend just a while ago there is a filter/dryer for the air system also that needs to be changed. He didn't know where it was or anything more about it, so I'm looking for information on that also.

Anyone?
Old 11-20-2015, 08:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Not to mislead you, my error. The CLIPPER also has that extendable fill tube at the rear for adding oil.
Problem with it, is I have to remove the gas struts from the rear grill, prop the grill up and then, like you, have 5 arms to pour the jugs of oil into a secured long funnel. All this while standing on a 3 leg stool? It gets messy every time. I bought a pump. No mess now.

Dave
Yea, that's exactly why I bought the oil in one gallon jugs instead of the 2 1/2 gallon jugs. Got the wife to hold the funnel while I poured the oil. Worked out OK, but takes a while. Don't know why they don't put a hole in the valve cover for it.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I learned from a friend just a while ago there is a filter/dryer for the air system also that needs to be changed. He didn't know where it was or anything more about it, so I'm looking for information on that also.

Anyone?
If you mean the air dryer..depends what kind you have, there is a desseccent filter that absorbs the oil and moisture from the air, when the compressor builds air to 120 lbs the dryer will blow off the excess water and oil from the dessecant filter, a larger sized filter is about $40 for a KW, we change every 2 years, find where the air blows off, get the model number and make , freightliner most always has best price...be sure all air is bled off before servicing ,they work good also have a heating element in them so it doesn't freeze in freezing weather, like today 18' with 3" snow.....
Old 11-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
If you mean the air dryer..depends what kind you have, there is a desseccent filter that absorbs the oil and moisture from the air, when the compressor builds air to 120 lbs the dryer will blow off the excess water and oil from the dessecant filter, a larger sized filter is about $40 for a KW, we change every 2 years, find where the air blows off, get the model number and make , freightliner most always has best price...be sure all air is bled off before servicing ,they work good also have a heating element in them so it doesn't freeze in freezing weather, like today 18' with 3" snow.....
Yes, that's the filter, but basically my problems are two fold; one, I'm such a newbie to bigger Diesels that I don't have a clue what I'm looking at and the info that came with the MH is like the "Operators Manual" that come with a new car....it shows you what instruments do what and how to start it. And two, since there's four manufactures involved (Freightliner, Caterpiller, Allison, and Airstream) there's no one place to go for information.

As an example, I ordered an air filter for the engine based on data that I got off another forum, and big mistake, it's not even close to being like the one that's in there. I spent about an hour and a half trying to take mine apart while in the engine compartment like a "trunk monkey", only to find out it does not come apart, and the whole can has to be replaced with the filter element inside. The filter I bought is only the filter element. Duh!

I have learned that even though it's a Caterpillar engine, the chassis manufacturer, Freightliner, decides what air filter needs to be in there. What????
Old 11-23-2015, 05:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Steve, maybe go talk to Freightliner, if they built the chassis..
Old 11-27-2015, 06:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Definitely yes to the air dryer, also get the two transmission filters for the Allison 3060. If you bring your VIN number to a freightliner dealer they'll know what parts you need for your 05. The oil pump is a great idea...northern hydraulics has a great one that I bought for around $160.00, it's metal and holds about 5 gallons and has a clear tube mounted to the outside of it so you can not only see how much is in it, but also how much you have put in the vehicle. Also works great for the generator because it uses the same oil. Regards, Bob
Old 11-28-2015, 08:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Well Steve welcome to the big truck world, we have cat, eaton, rockwell, kenworth,spicer, all in one truck , after a while you get used to it.good luck.