Old 11-28-2015, 09:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
You probably have already read in another forum about putting gasoline in a diesel tank, DONT DO IT....looks like it could be expensive....

Old 11-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
You probably have already read in another forum about putting gasoline in a diesel tank, DONT DO IT....looks like it could be expensive....
Yes I don't know much, but I know that much.

However, I used to put a little Diesel fuel in with the oil in a gas engine a few miles before an oil change to help clean the engine. Also some in with the gas to help clean the valves and intake.

YMMV.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Dad used to put in a gallon or so in his gas trucks during the summer, it supposedly kept them from vapor locking... A little gas in fuel during bitter cold kept it from jelling, but that was when the fuel had lots of paraffin in it which would congeal and plug the filters, not a problem now...this new technology is wonderful..
Old 03-31-2016, 10:33 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2006 39' A-Series
Prescott , Arizona
I must share that I recently did my first DIY oil/filter change on my 390XL. Piece of cake, because it is all so accessible. No jack stands required. Saved $200+. This first oil change was a mess because so much oil comes out so quickly. Be ready. But I installed a quick drain Fumoto valve (from Amazon about $35), so next time I'll be able to drain quickly and cleanly into gallon milk jugs. See Fumoto website to get the right number for your engine. Get the one with the "nipple" so you can attached a 1/2 inch hose for cleanly draining into recycling containers. Previously I did the air filter. It was an obvious job and no special knowledge or tools are needed. But it was very hard to maneuver the filter on/off the connection hoses. It look me a couple of hours of horsing around with my head in the engine compartment. Not fun but I finally got it in place and tight.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
I am tempted to follow in your foot steps, So you changed the oil and filter. What else do we need to do? I see there is an air filter for the compressor, and I guess another for engine air, anything else? Do you also change the oil and filters for your genset?

There is a heavy truck repair shop near me, they could probably do it, and this may only be the 2nd service in the 10 years this RV has been on the planet, still less than 10,000 miles on it. Should probably have the pros do it until I know the RV is in good shape.

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Randy,

If you can change the oil in a car, the only difference is the amount of oil, and the size of the filter. To handle this, I went and got a large oil drain pan at Tractor Supply, and a long funnel.

You also need to change the fuel filters, and they are NOT a big deal. There are two of them. The first one in line is a separator/filter, needs to have the water drained off it periodically, and changed at least once a year. The second is the final fuel filter, located on the engine, and can probably easily go two years. The air system filter can go even longer, as can the engine air filter.

All of these things are no more difficult than a car, just bigger, and more expensive.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #21
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I do suggest you go to the heavy truck shop and have it done the first time.

The coolant filter and PH level also needs to be monitored and these strips for testing are a bit expensive, and small and get lost between uses if you have your own?

I do my own service while at home, but if it comes up while on the road, I use any Freightliner, or equivalent heavy truck shop, to do it.

Always ask for the coolant test AND REPORT, so that you have a record of that for your files.

Dave

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote