Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2015, 08:08 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Airstream clubs or WBCCI for Class As

Since it has been almost a decade since a Class A has been produced by Airstream is there really much love or following by other Airstreamers? Is the WBCCI membership going to be good as a new Airstream Class A owner?

I am hoping to caravan travel but I am curious how the Class As are treated by trailer owners. Seems to be a great love of Airstream trailers out there, even on this forum, but not so much for the motorhomes. They are certainly not manufactured in the quantity of the trailers, nor for as long. You almost cannot even see that there is one at the head of the line in the banner photo above.

Is it worth joining a local unit or should I just look into general interest clubs that are more focused on Class A RVs?

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have been on 8 caravans and heading out next week for another. (nor-East). There are usually 2 to 6 Class A motorhomes on a caravan. Many times the leaders are in one. There is no difference in the way the motorhomes or their occupants are treated on the caravans. Most Airstream motorhomers have had trailers before the motorhome. Several Airstream motorhomers have gone back to trailers. If you are interested in caravans the WBCCI caravans are good ones. But you have to participate in the daily "chores" associated in running it. Parking, de-parking, occasional cooking, mail pickup, library, etc. The motor home is a nice way to caravan.

I like the WBCCI and belong to a local and attend the rallies. We are retired and have time to do this sort of thing. Many of the Airstream motorhomers we know also belong to both WBCCI an the Family Motor Home Association and like that organization a lot also.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I am a member for now over 2 years and attend our unit Rallies as well as our Region Rally I also went last year to the International Rally. March I did my first Caravan in Louisiana all with a class B motorhome without a toad. We had only the best experience and all this is a reason for me to purchase another Class-Airstream Motorhome just so I can stay in the WBCCI .
I rather would have purchased newer motorhome but the Skydeck is unique enough so age does not matter.
Peter
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
In the past many officers in the Wally club owned class a mh. Never saw a problem.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Exciting, good news, thanks!

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Morton , Illinois
We own a '94 360 Pusher, and cannot wait to begin participating in caravans. Once we retire. . . Right now, it would fun to get to at least one rally. Hope to see you on the road!

Connie 'n Bruce
CLKIESER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Class A's and Interstates are very welcome in WBBCI from international to region to unit.
We are also in RV clubs with all makes. RV-ing is fun regardless of type or brand. RV people are a good bunch of folks.
I just chose an Airstream trailer because I like the style (art-deco, retro, old school, old timey, silver, rivets, aircraft fuselage look).
We had as much fun in with a white box trailer and a tent before that.
I would love to see a Skydeck at a rally. I've never seen one in real life.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
m.hony is right

WBBCI welcomes owners of any Airstream product no matter when it was made. There was a move afoot to welcome anyone with with a motorhome made by Thor. Not sure how that worked out. A lot of members in WBCCI executive positions are Class A people so when Thor decided not to make the Class A some years back it caused a stir.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
There was a move afoot to welcome anyone with with a motorhome made by Thor. Not sure how that worked out. A lot of members in WBCCI executive positions are Class A people so when Thor decided not to make the Class A some years back it caused a stir.
JCW
It was brought up for vote two years in a row at the International rally, and both times it was voted down.

There are several times as many trailer owners as motorhome owners, so they really don't want other brands in the club even if they are made by Thor.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I've never understood why Thor won't just re-brand one of their MHs as an Airstream. Change a few door handles and some decals......
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
I've never understood why Thor won't just re-brand one of their MHs as an Airstream. Change a few door handles and some decals......
JCW
If a manufacturer won't offer a product, there's a marketing reason why, i.e. follow the money.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
JCW
Thor was hatching a plan to do just that (it was essentially a way for people who wanted to be members but couldn't tow any more remain members), and many WBCCI members were extremely upset. I believe it was going to be the "Airstream Edition" of a Four Winds motorhome. After the amendment to the WBCCI constitution and bylaws to allow those into the club was defeated, Thor dropped the plan. If you'd like to see some serious flame wars, jump back to about 2006 or so and start reading...and keep in mind that the mods would have deleted the worst of it.

There was even some hatred spewed at us motorhome owners who owned official Airstream-employee-made, Jackson Center-built products, but that was rare. People got caught up in the moment and let their frustration spill on to motorhomes in general, rather than just the ones that were at issue. Emotions ran extremely high.

On the original topic: I can't speak for all units in WBCCI, but my experience with the Washington, DC Unit is that we welcome all Airstream products. We have new trailers, old trailers, very old trailers, newish motorhomes, old motorhomes, Argosy trailers, etc.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
If Thor would actually put the Airstream name on one of it's new motorhomes, it would be a legitimate and legal vehicle for WBCCI membership, but the motion was to accept any Thor built product for membership. That is the one I was involved in the voting on. None of the trailer owners wanted that.

The reasoning was it would make the WBCCI no longer an Airstream only club. There are plenty of other clubs open to all sorts of brands of motorhomes, and some specific to some brands of motorhomes.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If Thor owners want a club, they could have a Thor owner's group. There may already be such a club.
When I had a Forest River trailer, I never joined F. R. O. G. (Forest River Owner's Group)
The trailer was junk and I felt no pride of ownership and wanted nothing to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If I remember correctly there is a thor mh group and they didn't want AS mh in it.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
The point is, WBCCI members, who have an Airstream motorhome, or members who have trailers and want a new motorhome, cannot buy one and remain members of the WBCCI where they might have friends of many years.

For those people it's a valid point that I understand, but one where the majority of the membership makes the rules. For all the time that WBCCI has been in existence, the first requirement for membership is ownership of an Airstream product.