Old 12-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #15
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I know this is an Airstream thread, but it is always nice to compare brands of the same era to the unit I presently own. To compare my 1996 CLIPPER to this NEWELL click on my 'images' in the left sidebar.

There is presently a NEWELL coach on eBaY - - [moderator edit at request of masseyfarm -- the Newell sold and the dead ebay link has been removed]

This looks like a very well kept unit and the price is not bad for the perceived quality of the brand although this is a 1996.

Airstream never made a Class A larger than 39' so keep that in consideration when you look at what appears to be loads of room in the 45' Newell. Surprisingly, the basement storage does not appear to be that much larger than a 390XL Class A.

What I would want to inspect closely if I was on location on a purchasing trip would be:

any signs of water damage to the steel structure as most everything else can be repaired/replaced if you have the $$$$$$. (I have never been up close to a NEWELL so my comments come from other historical complaints of high end units including Prevost and MCI.)

There are a number of things that I like on this Newell, but for same price I can buy a 2005 390 XL with less than half the mileage, so you have to love the unit to make it work.

2005 Airstream Land Yacht 396XL 39' Class A Diesel Pusher Motorhome in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors

Dave

Old 12-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #16
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Collector Series

So you think your Airstream Motorhome is a collector item.

How about one of these?

Triple E Empress, built in Canada for four seasons, and very hard to come by as few were built.

I asked Dean last spring if he would restart production with a mid entry door and some other minor changes, but the reply was no.

This unit is currently for sale in British Columbia.
Triple E Empress Diesel Pusher - British Columbia RV For Sale - Kijiji British Columbia Canada.

Triple E had previously made a mid entrance door and one of those 1999 units is also for sale in BC at this time. (Last Picture)
Triple E Signature Diesel Pusher - British Columbia RV For Sale - Kijiji British Columbia Canada.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqNHJDMFBluqEnkEBQdIkp4GI!~~48_20.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	174413   Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqR,!jgF!thetGcUBQdIm!Hl9Q~~48_20.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	174414  

Name:	$(KGrHqV,!p0FBgceeOq(BQdIkD5Opw~~48_20.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	174415   Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16hHJGIE9nnWsy!cBQdInjol(Q~~48_20.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	174416  

Name:	$T2eC16dHJGQE9noMbT+KBQujvsyFtg~~48_20.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	174417  

Old 12-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #17
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
You don't always get what you pay for.

I captured this off another site that deals with one of the most popular, upper end, RV Class A diesel pusher OEM's with integrated chassis. This was a new 09 show model that was purchased in the summer 08 and details the first 3 months of ownership.

__________________________________________________ ____________

"We bought 09 **************. The following has happened since:
1. step lights and bars wouldn't light
2. molding on frig. fell off
3. bed slide out only worked while manually pushing it
4. starter motor broke and wired incorrectly @ factory, requiring $1,000 tow for repair & took 3 weeks!!!
5. flat tire on tag wheel passenger side (no spare till now)
6. broken drain @ galley sink with water damage to bedroom carpet
7. air leak in leveling system, causing axillary pump to run every 3 minutes (no sleeping due to sound) still not repaired
8. delivered with broken antennas on roof
9. leaking toilet letting sewer water drain throughout flooring
10. cauking on bedroom window missing, so first rain caused water to run onto bedding
11. coach delivered without extra keys & fob!!!! and missing battery filler devise.
12. recall on Cummins engine (needs computer reprogramming)
13. missing cover on outside engine air duct (ordered, not received)
14 entry door jammed so won't lock
15 generator delivered needing 2 quarts of oil.
16. left mirror camera stopped working
17. roof leak at front a/c unit
18. macerator hosing developed hole and leaked poo to flooring
19. windshield popped out !!!!! during heavy rain storm
20. sliding door at bedroom/bath fell from mounting
21. glass door at closest cracked due to screws in mounting
22. ceiling light wiring broken needing rewiring
23. front door latch won't catch
24. satellite antenia shorted out, frying 2 receivers!!!!!
25. molding at driver window fell off

JUST AMAZING WHAT YOU GET FOR $500,000"
__________________________________________________ _________

The moral of this story is-- if your paying the big bucks try to buy from an OEM or dealer that will support the product. And "if something can go wrong it will".

We Airstream Class A Owners are lucky we don't have to spend time waiting on warranty.

Dave
Old 01-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
This unit is still available today.
Its been here awhile so the price should be negotiable if you are interested.

http://www.campingworld.com/rvsales/...-Yacht/232225/
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Here is another CW Airstream 390XL located in Albuquerque with 45000 miles on it. Single slide. Looks to be well kept. They were asking $74500, buy this should sell for considerably less (for cash) as it is now beyond the 10 yr old rule for bank financing.

Dave

Used 2000 Airstream Land Yacht Class A Diesel Motorhomes For Sale In Albuquerque, NM - ARV17043C - Camping World
Old 01-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #19

2002 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Springfield , New Jersey
Kingston, NY - Used Class A - Diesel - 2002 Airstream Land Yacht For sale in Kingston, NY - RVs.com

Can anyone tell me what they think of this 2002 39', 16,000 miles, $72,000?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #20
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Welcome to the Air Forums.

Looks like a nice unit. If that is the correct mileage, it has hardly been driven.

If this unit has been well maintained, with no signs of water leakage, you should have a Class A that will last a long time.

Are they giving any warranty on this unit? 30 days?

This, I believe, has the CAT engine. My personal preference is the CUMMINS but I don't think AIRSTREAM went back to CUMMINS till about 2005.

You would have to check the sn, but I think this unit only has a 5000# hitch capacity. It was sometime in 2003 before they were upgraded to 10000#.

Dave
Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #21

2002 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Springfield , New Jersey
They will give a 90 day warranty. I would buy the 4 year extended. Will check on the engine. What is it about this engine that you dont like? Also, what is the difference with the hitch capacity?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #22
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Cummins is just my choice of engine. They all do the job and they are all expensive to repair relative to what you think it should cost.

If they are you giving 90 days, I would think you are covered long enough to prove the unit is in good condition at sale day.

I would have it serviced (or at least checked over) by a CAT authorized dealer to make sure all is up to spec. and the coolant acid control has been maintained and all updates have been done. ( have them check the coolant in the AUX also). All these diesel engines require specific engine coolant additive for protection from cavitation etc.

If you have yet to make the deal, contact the CAT authorized dealer in your area and talk to the service manager about what you have and what you should be checking before you bring the unit to their shop. Ask him if the shop is capable of reading the engine history from the ECM?

Are there any service records with the unit? If it has been serviced at a specific CAT dealer call that dealer first as they will be familiar with the unit.

If it has no service records with the unit, do your homework?
Is the basement dry and clean? This is not far from the recent flooding on the east coast??????????

And always check for water damage inside and out. (delam)

The Freightliner chassis that Airstream used in these years was only rated at 5000# for hitch towing. This is plenty if you are using most tows that a RV'r would use. If you are towing a stacker trailer, then this is probably not the unit you want.

If you are not experienced with maintaining the many systems on this type of RV, I suggest you pick a qualified facility that is close to you and try to get to know and trust the service manager. (all these facilities and services are rather expensive, so do what you can yourself)

Dave
Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #23
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Airstream Skydeck

2006 SKYDECK

This 39' unit is just freshly posted for sale in CA.

The mileage is just 19000 miles, and although the unit has corporate external detail, and was set up more for entertaining, the price is very reasonable for a 2006.

Looks good in the pictures but a detailed onsite inspection is always required.

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2006...deck-108197043

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	108197043_4thumb_770x574.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	177469   Click image for larger version

Name:	108197043_3thumb_770x574.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	177470  

Name:	108197043_7thumb_770x574.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	177471   Click image for larger version

Name:	108197043_22.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	614.2 KB
ID:	177472  

Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #24
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Sunday Night it Story Time Again

My team did not win, so I am distracting myself with expensive thoughts.

This is not AIRSTREAM, but it is THOR.

They don't leave much for the owner to customize.

Best Diesel Pushers of 2013: Review of the New Top-Of-The-Line Tuscany Class A Diesel Motorhomes, RV - YouTube

That money in the bank is doing nothing now. Why not 'AIR IT OUT', and they are on sale now!

Enjoy

Dave
Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
On the right thread now

Dave although if I did go for a Motor Home it would be nice to stay with an AS. But as you indicted earlier its not bad to compare other makes just to see what the differences are. Here is one close to home a 2006 Tuscany with only 17,000 miles at about the same price as the 2005 AS396XL.

2006 Tuscany 4075 for Sale - D151NB - PPL Motor Homes
Old 02-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #26
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Everyone has to buy the unit that is most suitable to their specific needs.

On your post on the other thread, you indicated your desire to travel around the country as your main goal on retirement.

#1 : Good vision from the cockpit is a must for you and your navigator to be able to enjoy safe travel and be able to snap those instantaneous camera shots on the go.
This ability is compromised by any front entrance motorhome. (some more than others). Just look at the difference between the 396XL and the Tuscany that you have interest in. The Tuscany has very poor visibility on the right side front and this is further compromised with the screen door that further restricts vision.
The 396XL is a clear winner in this case. However, some other OEM's will still make a mid entry door, on a diesel pusher on special order, and if you look long enough, you might find a used one. Last AIRSTREAM mid-entry Class A diesel pusher was the 96 CLIPPER. You can buy the mid-entry in gas front engine powered units, but few diesel pushers.
The visibility from the cockpit will always be better with the mid-entry door. You will have no wind noise and water leaks and a stronger front structure. Fewer problems with the step and probably more ground clearance also. And the door will be located closer to the kitchen for restocking, and closer to the camp site and protected by the main canopy when you are parked. Gives some more options when parking at a site that is not level, as you should always back into the hill. (if front entrance, this would give a large step at front to level unit. If you were to drive into the hill to lower the step, you would be jacking the rear wheels off the ground to level, defeating the parking brakes ability to hold the unit from moving.)

#2 : Slideouts are for extended stays in good weather areas. If you are traveling, do you really need 3 or 4 slideouts? These add to the weight of the unit. The slides generally are a maintenance item, and are the source of dust and water penetration.

#3 : Carrying Capacity is important when traveling. Make sure you have a premium chassis that is not overloaded before you leave home. The AIRSTREAM CLIPPER, had carrying capacity of over 6000 lbs. We travel with full fuel/water/ tools/mounted spare/etc and can not overload the chassis. Not many Class A motorhomes have this ability. If you are away from home for extended periods, you will collect stuff on the way. (and you will need tools, or else spend a lot of time at the dealership).

#4 : Steel vs Aluminium construction. If you are buying new every 5 years, who cares???? But if you are buying to keep, or buying used, steel construction in the roof and sidewalls is just a problem waiting on a leak. Make sure that this is alluminium framed above the floor. (most basements are steel framed and also rot in time. Check them closely especially around the wheel wells and engine bay where the moisture is allowed to get into every crevice.) On an older unit, try to stick with a frame and body unit, rather than an integrated uni-body unit. If the basement framing has a problem, the main chassis frame integrity is not compromised like a integrated unit would be. eg: Airstream PREMIUM Class A's had aluminium framing above the floor and steel welded basement structure hung from the FREIGHTLINER RAISED RAIL CHASSIS. The motorhome is dependent on the FREIGHTLINER CHASSIS, and the basement could all be replaced if it was necessary.

I have to go here so will add more to this later.

Dave
Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #27
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Mid Entry Door

This post is not an endorsement for any brand of Class A Motor Home but is posted for informational purpose only to highlight the desirability of the mid entry coach. If you look long enough you probably will find one and have to pay a premium for it.

Some manufactures will still make a mid entry diesel pusher coach on a special order, but the general industry trend is "slides sell". They are building more and bigger slides as this is what sells the ladies at the RV shows. (you should never take you wife with you when you go shopping for that Class A )

Here are some examples that are out there.
Sold: 2002 Eagle
2003AmericaEagleMidEntry260.jpg Photo by lubestar | Photobucket

2012 Newell available now.
2012 Newell Mid Entry w/4 Slides 45 ft. Class A

2012*Newell*Mid Entry w/4 Slides*listed on RVOnline.com -RVs for Sale

There are examples of mid entry door in just about every brand of Class A OEM but you have to search for them.

Dave
Old 02-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #28
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Mid Entry Class A

OK Here's your chance for a premium Class A, mid entry.

Look at the visibility from this, compared to the Tuscany above.

Ebay # 121070114650
2004 MONACO BEAVER MARQUIS AMETHYST IMMACULATE INSIDE AND OUT SUPER LOW MILES!!! in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors

2004 MONACO BEAVER MARQUIS AMETHYST, top of the line, every option.

This is a low mileage unit, with a CAT C-12 505hp engine.

Lots of pictures.

Where are you AIRSTREAM? This is what we want. A MID ENTRY COACH where the wife doesn't feel she is sitting in the back seat!

This is almost as good as the 96 AIRSTREAM CLIPPER! but there are no more CLIPPERS either. If Airstream had extended the Clipper to 42' to 45' it would have been unbeatable.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0278.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	179677   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0283.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	179678