Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #21

2002 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Springfield , New Jersey
They will give a 90 day warranty. I would buy the 4 year extended. Will check on the engine. What is it about this engine that you dont like? Also, what is the difference with the hitch capacity?
jerseygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #22
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Cummins is just my choice of engine. They all do the job and they are all expensive to repair relative to what you think it should cost.

If they are you giving 90 days, I would think you are covered long enough to prove the unit is in good condition at sale day.

I would have it serviced (or at least checked over) by a CAT authorized dealer to make sure all is up to spec. and the coolant acid control has been maintained and all updates have been done. ( have them check the coolant in the AUX also). All these diesel engines require specific engine coolant additive for protection from cavitation etc.

If you have yet to make the deal, contact the CAT authorized dealer in your area and talk to the service manager about what you have and what you should be checking before you bring the unit to their shop. Ask him if the shop is capable of reading the engine history from the ECM?

Are there any service records with the unit? If it has been serviced at a specific CAT dealer call that dealer first as they will be familiar with the unit.

If it has no service records with the unit, do your homework?
Is the basement dry and clean? This is not far from the recent flooding on the east coast??????????

And always check for water damage inside and out. (delam)

The Freightliner chassis that Airstream used in these years was only rated at 5000# for hitch towing. This is plenty if you are using most tows that a RV'r would use. If you are towing a stacker trailer, then this is probably not the unit you want.

If you are not experienced with maintaining the many systems on this type of RV, I suggest you pick a qualified facility that is close to you and try to get to know and trust the service manager. (all these facilities and services are rather expensive, so do what you can yourself)

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #23
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Airstream Skydeck

2006 SKYDECK

This 39' unit is just freshly posted for sale in CA.

The mileage is just 19000 miles, and although the unit has corporate external detail, and was set up more for entertaining, the price is very reasonable for a 2006.

Looks good in the pictures but a detailed onsite inspection is always required.

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2006...deck-108197043

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	108197043_4thumb_770x574.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	177469   Click image for larger version

Name:	108197043_3thumb_770x574.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	177470  

Name:	108197043_7thumb_770x574.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	177471   Click image for larger version

Name:	108197043_22.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	614.2 KB
ID:	177472  

Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #24
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Sunday Night it Story Time Again

My team did not win, so I am distracting myself with expensive thoughts.

This is not AIRSTREAM, but it is THOR.

They don't leave much for the owner to customize.

That money in the bank is doing nothing now. Why not 'AIR IT OUT', and they are on sale now!

Enjoy

Dave
Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
On the right thread now

Dave although if I did go for a Motor Home it would be nice to stay with an AS. But as you indicted earlier its not bad to compare other makes just to see what the differences are. Here is one close to home a 2006 Tuscany with only 17,000 miles at about the same price as the 2005 AS396XL.

2006 Tuscany 4075 for Sale - D151NB - PPL Motor Homes
Old 02-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #26
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Everyone has to buy the unit that is most suitable to their specific needs.

On your post on the other thread, you indicated your desire to travel around the country as your main goal on retirement.

#1 : Good vision from the cockpit is a must for you and your navigator to be able to enjoy safe travel and be able to snap those instantaneous camera shots on the go.
This ability is compromised by any front entrance motorhome. (some more than others). Just look at the difference between the 396XL and the Tuscany that you have interest in. The Tuscany has very poor visibility on the right side front and this is further compromised with the screen door that further restricts vision.
The 396XL is a clear winner in this case. However, some other OEM's will still make a mid entry door, on a diesel pusher on special order, and if you look long enough, you might find a used one. Last AIRSTREAM mid-entry Class A diesel pusher was the 96 CLIPPER. You can buy the mid-entry in gas front engine powered units, but few diesel pushers.
The visibility from the cockpit will always be better with the mid-entry door. You will have no wind noise and water leaks and a stronger front structure. Fewer problems with the step and probably more ground clearance also. And the door will be located closer to the kitchen for restocking, and closer to the camp site and protected by the main canopy when you are parked. Gives some more options when parking at a site that is not level, as you should always back into the hill. (if front entrance, this would give a large step at front to level unit. If you were to drive into the hill to lower the step, you would be jacking the rear wheels off the ground to level, defeating the parking brakes ability to hold the unit from moving.)

#2 : Slideouts are for extended stays in good weather areas. If you are traveling, do you really need 3 or 4 slideouts? These add to the weight of the unit. The slides generally are a maintenance item, and are the source of dust and water penetration.

#3 : Carrying Capacity is important when traveling. Make sure you have a premium chassis that is not overloaded before you leave home. The AIRSTREAM CLIPPER, had carrying capacity of over 6000 lbs. We travel with full fuel/water/ tools/mounted spare/etc and can not overload the chassis. Not many Class A motorhomes have this ability. If you are away from home for extended periods, you will collect stuff on the way. (and you will need tools, or else spend a lot of time at the dealership).

#4 : Steel vs Aluminium construction. If you are buying new every 5 years, who cares???? But if you are buying to keep, or buying used, steel construction in the roof and sidewalls is just a problem waiting on a leak. Make sure that this is alluminium framed above the floor. (most basements are steel framed and also rot in time. Check them closely especially around the wheel wells and engine bay where the moisture is allowed to get into every crevice.) On an older unit, try to stick with a frame and body unit, rather than an integrated uni-body unit. If the basement framing has a problem, the main chassis frame integrity is not compromised like a integrated unit would be. eg: Airstream PREMIUM Class A's had aluminium framing above the floor and steel welded basement structure hung from the FREIGHTLINER RAISED RAIL CHASSIS. The motorhome is dependent on the FREIGHTLINER CHASSIS, and the basement could all be replaced if it was necessary.

I have to go here so will add more to this later.

Dave
Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #27
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Mid Entry Door

This post is not an endorsement for any brand of Class A Motor Home but is posted for informational purpose only to highlight the desirability of the mid entry coach. If you look long enough you probably will find one and have to pay a premium for it.

Some manufactures will still make a mid entry diesel pusher coach on a special order, but the general industry trend is "slides sell". They are building more and bigger slides as this is what sells the ladies at the RV shows. (you should never take you wife with you when you go shopping for that Class A )

Here are some examples that are out there.
Sold: 2002 Eagle
2003AmericaEagleMidEntry260.jpg Photo by lubestar | Photobucket

2012 Newell available now.
2012 Newell Mid Entry w/4 Slides 45 ft. Class A

2012*Newell*Mid Entry w/4 Slides*listed on RVOnline.com -RVs for Sale

There are examples of mid entry door in just about every brand of Class A OEM but you have to search for them.

Dave
Old 02-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #28
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Mid Entry Class A

OK Here's your chance for a premium Class A, mid entry.

Look at the visibility from this, compared to the Tuscany above.

Ebay # 121070114650
2004 MONACO BEAVER MARQUIS AMETHYST IMMACULATE INSIDE AND OUT SUPER LOW MILES!!! in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors

2004 MONACO BEAVER MARQUIS AMETHYST, top of the line, every option.

This is a low mileage unit, with a CAT C-12 505hp engine.

Lots of pictures.

Where are you AIRSTREAM? This is what we want. A MID ENTRY COACH where the wife doesn't feel she is sitting in the back seat!

This is almost as good as the 96 AIRSTREAM CLIPPER! but there are no more CLIPPERS either. If Airstream had extended the Clipper to 42' to 45' it would have been unbeatable.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0278.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	179677   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0283.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	179678  

Name:	DSC_0289_000.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	179679   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0324.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	179680  

Old 02-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Dave you are absolutely right, the mid entry coach is a much better layout. I just never gave that any thought. The passenger seating is exactly what my wife would want, her own space with plenty of visibility. The Monoco Beaver is really a beautiful coach.

I have looked for the AS 1996 clipper but there are none out there.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #30
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
You are welcome to submit your desires here.
Airstream, Inc :: Marketing

Ask that your wishes are directed to the management. Explain exactly what you want and require, and ask to be updated as new products are being introduced.

Dave
Old 02-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #31
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Class A mid entry

Here is another mid entry Premium 2003 Beaver Marquis with under 50000 miles.

This model year, Beaver used even a better side window for visibility in the cockpit. Great for taking pictures with no divider in the side glass, and narrow w/s post.

This one has been set up with an extra HD hitch that probably utilized some type of motorcycle lift?

Why AIRSTREAM management believes they are not capable of doing a similar, updated Class A is beyond me??????????????

2003 Beaver Marquis, Bend OR - 107221228 - RVTrader.com

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2003 Beaver.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	179834   Click image for larger version

Name:	107221228_2thumb_770x574.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	179835  

Name:	107221228_10thumb_770x574.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	179836  
Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Dave what about millage on these big Diesel rigs. The Airstream listed on the forum classified is a 2005 and has 64K miles or about 8,000 per year. The picture of the engine compartment looks a little dirty but would that mean it has not been serviced properly.

Name:	cat diesel.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	179841

The Marquis at 10 years old has 50K miles which would be an average of 5,000 miles per year. The Monaco at about 9 years old has 34K or about 3,700 miles per year. Low millage sounds good but is there such a thing as to low for the age of these rigs. In other words does it harm the diesel engine to sit idle for what appears to be long periods of time. I know things wear our from heavy use but other things can still go bad with little or no use over time as well. The tires on these rigs look good from the pictures but with low miles there would be very little ware. How often should the tires be replaced.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #33
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I would only consider the engine dirty if it is covered with oil and grease stains and the dirt caked to it. These Airstream pushers are rear engine with pusher fans. That means all the road dust is sucked up and through the engine bay for cooling. Not much you can do about that. The air has to move. Cleaning the light dirt is just a matter of a garden hose and some degreeser detergent sprayed on and off.

The Diesel's, CAT and Cummins, will have history of service with them. If not, I would want it checked at an authorized shop before purchase to make sure it is, and has been kept up to date. CAT and Cummins will have records for them if they have been maintained at a dealership shop. CarFax will also be a source for information.

Tires do rot, and do so quicker if parked for long periods. If you are buying a unit, this is part of the price discount you should be looking for if the tire age is approaching 4 years or more. (a good HD Bridgestone or Michelin tire will last many years as long as the steel cords are not exposed to moisture via sidewall cuts, puntures, etc.)

Purchase of a Class A is generally a big purchase. Do your homework, take your time, consult with the experts, check VERY closely for signs of water damage and repair, and only after you think its a good deal, get the wife involved for the final inspection. (a good saleman will sell you anything if he can play you against your spouse )

Class A's are still a buyers market, although the good ones are expensive.

Dave
Old 02-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #34
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I did some more research on this 2003 Beaver, and it is very well equipped and tempting with just about everything I want. However, Country Coach in JC, Oregon is in the final stage of restarting production, so it will be interesting what they introduce. Airstream has missed an opportunity here go get back into a market that is about to rebound.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Here is another mid entry Premium 2003 Beaver Marquis with under 50000 miles.
Why AIRSTREAM management believes they are not capable of doing a similar, updated Class A is beyond me??????????????
2003 Beaver Marquis, Bend OR - 107221228 - RVTrader.com
Dave
Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Just wondering I have driven a lot of different type of vehicles from trucks, to tractors but never one of these big diesel pushers. with the drivers seat up front. What is the learning curve on getting the hang of this

Don
Old 02-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #36
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I was born and raised on the farm, and worked over the road for the majority of my working years, and any equipment operation is not a great challenge to me.

However, I can understand your anxiety if you have not operated a unit of this size before.

You will have to learn to use your mirrors ALL THE TIME.
Set them so you can just see the side of the unit and out from there.
Set them so that with minimal body movement, you can see your rear wheel position, especially on the right side.
Remember, your unit is high and if on a crowned street or road, stay out from the curb or you will rub the upper wall on the street signs.
Until you get some miles in, continue to check your mirrors to determine that you are positioned properly in your lane of traffic.
Never change lanes without double checking the blind spots below the front right and left window levels. Motorcycles and bikes disappear here.
Make your corners in the cities slow and square.
Watch for tail overhang swing when turning close to other cars, lamp standards, walls etc.
Leave 200' or more between you and the vehicle you are following.
Never follow a vehicle if you can not see what he is following.
Never drive in another trucks blind spot.

And, among other things, STAY ALERT! and let your navigator take the pictures, and confirm the route. (those signs are clustered together and are hard to read at high speed in heavy traffic)

You will have excellent view from the elevated position in a Class A.

Be aware that it is easy to get too comfortable in that leather seat. Take as many short breaks as necessary to maintain your interest in the demands of daily driving.

Happy Motoring

Dave
Old 03-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #37
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Airstream XC 360, 2001

The original post on this thread highlighted, what appears to be, a very nice XC 360.

On my surfing, I see this unit is still for sale March 8th in Barrie, ON, Canada.
2001 Airstream Land Yacht XC 360 Diesel Pusher - Ontario RV For Sale - Kijiji Ontario Canada.

Not many of these go up for sale. See posts at beginning of this thread for more information on these units.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$(KGrHqZ,!h!E-7d-!e75BPwtgqjS8Q~~48_20.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	180856   Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqV,!iUE9mKv+!CtBPwtijJeo!~~48_20.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	180857  

Name:	$(KGrHqNHJF!E-n+mqjhRBPwth(Pk,g~~48_20.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	180858   Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqJHJB!E-EtEG7n)BPwti557-g~~48_20.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	180859  

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
Old 03-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #38
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
This 2006 A37 appears to be still available in Florida. Cummins, and I believe this year the A37 is on a raised rail chassis????

2006 Airstream A-37 Triple Slide Diesel, Estate Sale!!!, Tampa FL - 108494589 - RVTrader.com

I discussed a similar unit in another thread a while back. I will see if I can find that post.

Some information that has been posted on this site.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...tml#post692984

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f312...ml#post1212937

And I considered a similar unit that was offered a while back on ebay here.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ml#post1178318

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!qsE-ZQP0IpcBPy7mlRGkQ~~60_3.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	180863   Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!rEE-8nlLBbcBPy6jKrtjg~~60_3.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	180864  

Name:	15.png
Views:	165
Size:	535.9 KB
ID:	180865   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.png
Views:	142
Size:	707.4 KB
ID:	180866  

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 03-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #39
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
AirForums system of monitoring ebay does not give sufficient time to review the AIRSTREAM unit that might be listed.

Presently, there are three Class A pushers on ebay.

Ebay # 171003112845 - a 2000 35XC NO RESERVE-2000 AIRSTREAM-TURBO 300-DIESEL CAT PUSHER-35'- NEW COND--FLORIDA in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors

and a Cutter 1999 35'
1999 AIRSTREAM CUTTER 35 BUS DIESEL PUSHER USED RV CAT 330HP SLIDE EXTRA NICE!!! in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors

and a 2001 XC36
2001 Airstream Land Yacht Diesel Motorhome 360 XC with ONLY 25,037 Miles $harp!! in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors

If you are not able to view a unit in person, it might be worthwhile to pay someone to view it for you.

Dave
Old 03-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #40
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
On the above 99 Cutter, the video at '033' shows indication of possible delam on that rear right side just forward of the rear cap. I would want to check it close. It may just be the reflection on the shaded side of the unit but worth checking close up.

1999 Airstream 35 feet pusher - YouTube
Dave